Hacking New Media Player For Wii

cobain76

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Summary:

This is a crude prototype of GeeXboX port for WII. It is based on gc-linux team's wii-linux-PoC-0.4 and a recent devel version of GeeXboX.

Most functions of WII, including bluetooth/wiimote, DVD, wireless, LAN etc., are not supported by this version, due to limitations of the linux kernel. There are terrible bugs too, which you won't be able to miss. So please regard this rather as a demo. But expect huge improvements in next release, when gc-linux team's latest linux port becomes available.

Requirements:

WII, SD card (formatted using FAT32), USB keyboard

Usage:

Homebrew channel users just need to copy everything into the root directory of your SD card and select GeeXboX in the channel.

TP hack users have to copy or move apps/geexbox/boot.elf to the root directory of your SD card and start the hack.

Control:

Use arrow keys to move around in the menu. For more detailed info on keyboard controls, consult GeeXboX homepage (GeeXboX HomePage).

After keypress(s), press enter to send to GeeXboX. (This is a temporary hack)

Formats:

All a/v formats supported by MPlayer (yes, rmvb included), with the exception of WMV9 audio.

Source:

Front SD only and no changing card function is provided.

Console:

If you want to play around with console mode, edit GEEXBOX/runlevel file to include the word "debug". Enter "exit" in console to start GUI.

Bugs:

Keypressings are shown on screen, destroying playback;

Keypressing events are only received by MPlaer after 'ENTER' is pressed;

Wrong OSD colour.

Changelog

20080624: Prototype release.

Download Link: http://www.fs2you.com/files/f033bf0f-4146-...2-0014221f4662/
Another Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?dxzbjijmdhm

Sources: http://wiinewz.com/forums/nintendo-news/69...-port-demo.html
http://www.geexbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9897

Mysticcal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OMG i love you. wii miidia is what i've been waiting for but with the dev on that probably lying since day one. This looks a helluva lot more promising. I can't wait to see new updates. as well as speed increases in video if possible.

dCiSo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.console-scene.info
XP
Country
United States
Yes there will also be many other bugs with this way as well. They went about it the EXACT same way I was going about Wii Miidia and turned out to be a pain. Their method just like MFE is based on Mplayer. Just glad in a way to see someone else having all the same problems I was having before starting to rebuild the code from scratch.

dCiSo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.console-scene.info
XP
Country
United States
Mysticcal said:
OMG i love you. wii miidia is what i've been waiting for but with the dev on that probably lying since day one. I can't wait to see new updates. as well as speed increases in video if possible.

Sorry to disappoint you but was no lies. You will see all the bugs in this that prevented me from releasing WiiMiidea. As you can see there is no wiimote support and all the bugs are still in place that made me not to release mine. It is still based off Mplayer and everything. So before calling it a lie do some research. Anyone who followed the WiiMiidia thread knew how I was going about it using wii-linux and so on. Just looks like someone decided to pick up where I left it to try a different path. Good luck to that team it is a pain in the ass to go about it the way they are.

Mysticcal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dCiSo said:
Mysticcal said:
OMG i love you. wii miidia is what i've been waiting for but with the dev on that probably lying since day one. I can't wait to see new updates. as well as speed increases in video if possible.

Sorry to disappoint you but was no lies. You will see all the bugs in this that prevented me from releasing WiiMiidea. As you can see there is no wiimote support and all the bugs are still in place that made me not to release mine. It is still based off Mplayer and everything. So before calling it a lie do some research. Anyone who followed the WiiMiidia thread knew how I was going about it using wii-linux and so on. Just looks like someone decided to pick up where I left it to try a different path. Good luck to that team it is a pain in the ass to go about it the way they are.

i suggest you plug your shit elsewhere, considering the only reason you posted here is because someone actually released a project rivaling yours.

dCiSo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.console-scene.info
XP
Country
United States
Mysticcal said:
dCiSo said:
Mysticcal said:

i suggest you plug your shit elsewhere, considering the only reason you posted here is because someone actually released a project rivaling yours.

No Actually I am glad someone released something based off what I had already did now you guys can give them all the headaches about shit not working. I could care less what anyone else thinks hell I will even send them the wiimote stuff and everything that I had to help them along the way so when it comes out in a day dont think they worked hard all night.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh, nice to see you're dispelling these rumours dCiSo. I read your page not long ago and wondered why everyone was saying it might be a lie. Only a complete dickhead would do it as an attention stunt, and I have confidence that you're not.
Anyway, good luck with WiiMiidia, sounds like you're having a hard time with it.

QUOTE said:
And calm down, next time read the post you're answering. At no point did he say anything against this project, he was merely wishing the project good luck. And it's not plugging. You're just making yourself look like an idiot.

Good luck with this project too, though I'll wait until a usable version of this or WiiMiidia comes out before trying.

F0ur2o

Trophies
Website
www.bigkahunatattshack.com
XP
Country
Canada
I like wiideo player. for an early build it has all the things you are loooking for .. streaming video /audio with wiimote support.

The only downside is it runs right now through the internet channel. Still the streaming and wiimote support alone makes it a much superior app. and a pic viewer is there also.

Wiideo 0.3.5

Some Screenshots

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Well I just tried, It started with a nice loading screen but as soon as gauge filled 100% got a black screen. I don't have a usb keyboard maybe it was because of that but it would be nice to have an error regarding that. It's a pity that I don't have a usb keyboard. Anyone successful?

by the way new wii linux version is unoficially out featuring bluetooth hence wiimote support

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7654

By the way, thanks for the release, I think there will be finally a nice media solution for wii. It will be faster if you set up the project in sourceforge or similar environment. I'd like to contribute to this too.

Edit: I bought a usb keyboard today, it seems it's not an issue with the keyboard... now I can type keys and see them on the screen but no key does a special thing (though not tried all of them
smile.gif
)

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
F0ur2o said:
I like wiideo player. for an early build it has all the things you are loooking for .. streaming video /audio with wiimote support.

The only downside is it runs right now through the internet channel. Still the streaming and wiimote support alone makes it a much superior app. and a pic viewer is there also.

Wiideo 0.3.5

Some Screenshots

Well another downside is opera doesn't have decent video codecs to play good quality video.

dCiSo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.console-scene.info
XP
Country
United States
Jibib said:
Hey dCiSo are you still gonna release yours when you have fixed most of the bugs ??

Or have stopped Developing it?

Yes I am still working on the project and have been working on the video code from the ground up. Initially my idea was based off XBMC as others have mentioned. I tried taking the shortcut and using the MFE code for the video handling of it and thats where all the problems had started. As you can see over at Wiinewz this thing is showing all the bugs that I was mentioning in my code as well. It was just simply not stable enough for a release and it started a bunch of unneeded drama.

I wish them GeeXbox team the best of luck and will help them and give them anything I had up to the point where I decided to just scratch the use of MFE. I hope that they can overcome the issues I ran into and release a nice stable version in time. As for the comment of me not releasing a video yet all I have to say is what do you want a video of the GUI doing nothing but playing MP3 since video code is not done?

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mmmm,
I look for a DVD player on wii not only SD
I found one... but not know how to load up...
Anyone know one that works?
(use it for lens cleaning just one try xD )(dvd lens clean pack)
Else I open my wii
wink.gif

davidw89

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a number of question:
1. Does this work with Wii Remote , Classic Controller, Nun Chuck, Gamecube controller ( i ahve lal of these controller if you want me to test)
2. Does it work with xvid vidoes (not compressed but standard avi video). What about mkv/h264 vids?
3. Is there anyway to load it apart from 2gb sd card? What about a hard drive through the usb?
4. GOOD JOB

oh btw any plans to use wifi to stream?

voodoolady

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
davidw89 said:
I have a number of question:
1. Does this work with Wii Remote , Classic Controller, Nun Chuck, Gamecube controller ( i ahve lal of these controller if you want me to test)
2. Does it work with xvid vidoes (not compressed but standard avi video). What about mkv/h264 vids?
3. Is there anyway to load it apart from 2gb sd card? What about a hard drive through the usb?
4. GOOD JOB

oh btw any plans to use wifi to stream?
Did you realise all your questions are answered on the first post?
My guess is you only read the title of this topic...
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: