ROM Hack New MapleStory DS English Translation

hayate891

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi. I am planning to release an english translation for MapleStory DS. However, this is just an introduction, there is no release patch yet.I will be translating the game from japanese-english, not korea-english. But will require korean rom for patching. I don't think there are any different with the the two games in terms of storyline so far anyway.
In this translation, I'm aiming for understanding of the dialogue and storyline needed to finish the game. This translation is happening however because I want to improve my japanese language. I'm just doing this out of my free time and interest in the storyline. The translation now are progressing concurrently with my gameplay. Well, that's the only way to do it for now due to how much jumbled the extracted text are.
This translation attempt could happen with no effort in me to do any hacking thanks to the MapleTrans by DarthNemesis. Thanks, DarthNemesis for a great program. Thanks to twistidsinz for the image editing. And thanks also to the original team, previous team and anyone who are involved in materializing the previous MapleStory DS patch.
By the way, I'm using patch ver. 0.04 as a base, however the patch later would probably need only clean rom. Since I'm just a translator, other tasks like hacking or image editing or any other task will have to go to someone else. So, no release patch yet. A patch will be release when I get to a milestone.
In the meantime, there are some preview screenshots available.

maple030a3.jpg maple030b2.jpg maple030c2.jpg

GameBoyAGS101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god! I recently started the red snail v0.4 and it was literally terrible(emphasis on literally). So far, this passes English. please keep your progress updated via screenshot ;)

If this is translating the Japanese release of the game, I will be willing to help. I am currently learning Japanese, so this would be like a homework assignment. I would need to learn enough coding to translate it. I can offer you my Skype if you need me to.

hayate891

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The way I do things right now are kind of complicated. I'm fine with it, though. I don't know how things going to be if a tool to extract text and image from the jpn game is available.

GameBoyAGS101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't undertand what you mean by, "I'm fine with it, though". I do on the other hand have a ds hex editor, I don't know how to use it, but I have it. I can handle complicated things, thats one of my specialties. I still am interested in helping, I have plenty of free time these days.

Hex editor provides in-game text edit

hayate891

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Sorry, I don't undertand what you mean by, "I'm fine with it, though". I do on the other hand have a ds hex editor, I don't know how to use it, but I have it. I can handle complicated things, thats one of my specialties. I still am interested in helping, I have plenty of free time these days.

Hex editor provides in-game text edit
I see. Well, what I'm doing is not like that. The japanese texts I have right now are what I typed while I'm playing the game. I don't know how to use hex. I look at it many times but still don't know what to do with it. I rather spend time translating, I guess.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can't you make use of mapletrans from darthnemesis? As far as i know it lets you dump the script and insert the new, translated one.

GameBoyAGS101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to use hex either, I just thought that translating any DS game requires hex editor. What tool are you using to translate, and where may I find it?

Can't you make use of mapletrans from darthnemesis? As far as i know it lets you dump the script and insert the new, translated one.
Maplestrans is the reason why this thread exists. It is not eligible to anyone because they used Google Translate on the entire game. If it is updated so english players can read it comfortably, please tell me because just by the three pictures heyate891 has, this looks like something worth my time.

Just because there is english letters, doesn't mean it is english. For example, "eongseonghaji", "bitdeomireul", and the pigmi was never translated, that was left in korean.

hayate891

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Well, that's right. However, it seems the mapletrans was designed only for the korean game not the japanese game. I have done some testing, no translation could be see in the japanese game except for some non-story texts.
What tool are you using to translate, and where may I find it?

Maplestrans is the reason why this thread exists. It is not eligible to anyone because they used Google Translate on the entire game. If it is updated so english players can read it comfortably, please tell me because just by the three pictures heyate891 has, this looks like something worth my time.
I am using the mapletrans right now. You could search for the tool by the keyword 'DarthNemesis mapletrans'. Don't' blame the tool. The translation was like that because of their own decision/capability. Anyway, the translation still have its use. However, almost all of it have to go away and be replace with the new translation of story dialogues.

GameBoyAGS101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using the mapletrans right now. You could search for the tool by the keyword 'DarthNemesis mapletrans'. Don't' blame the tool. The translation was like that because of their own decision/capability. Anyway, the translation still have its use. However, almost all of it have to go away and be replace with the new translation of story dialogues.

1. Could you send me a link to a rom w/o the anti piracy? -edit- Found it

2. How do you plan to reuse any of the old stuff, wasn't it was made for the Korean version?

3. And the first thing I plan on translating is that stupid pigmi, it was never translated in the red snail patch, and I still don't know what it does.

4. Do you want to start a Google group to archive our work? I think it's a good idea to have it somewhere.

Ok.. so I got mapletrans and extracted all the files from the rom, but its in korean. I downloaded the japanse version. I don't know why this is happening. Can you explain what I'm doing wrong?

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's right. However, it seems the mapletrans was designed only for the korean game not the japanese game. I have done some testing, no translation could be see in the japanese game except for some non-story texts.

Yeah, there are separate files for Korean and Japanese. Try this:

MapleTrans 1.1

hayate891

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Yeah, there are separate files for Korean and Japanese. Try this:

MapleTrans 1.1
Whoa, that surprised me. I was thinking about it. Thanks darthnemesis. I will try this right away.

Edit: I think the texts arrangement are the same. So, I could just transfer over my previous translation. However, I don't know about the images. Are the extracted one also in japanese?
Edit: Checked it. The images are in japanese.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Grandpa was dumped" Lol wut?
Are you sure that was not an error?

Regardless, so far looks better than the redsnail patch!

The original lines are:
大変じゃ!!
何が?
まさかじいちゃん、彼女ができたのか?

The 'できた' there is 'made', so it's more like:
"Big news!" "What's up? Don't tell me you got a girlfriend, Gramps?"

Reactions: GameBoyAGS101

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
nice ! I love the idea of translating game sthat never come to western xD
Need help with graphic editing? I can do that, but will need help to translate whats there since I actually don't know japanese

Reactions: GameBoyAGS101

GameBoyAGS101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear, we need to make a skype group!

we are getting potentially great helpers to this game's tanslation! we need to be able to say, "2015, we did it"

DarthNemisis, would you help translate the Japanese Version?

nice ! I love the idea of translating game sthat never come to western xD
Need help with graphic editing? I can do that, but will need help to translate whats there since I actually don't know japanese

I'll help you translate images. Show me the images and I will use MS-Paint to circle the japanese characters and point them to the english translation that I would type off to the side.

Reactions: Sliter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: probably watch one too YT vids bout old grannies