TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
220px-Vulkan_API_logo.svg.png

The awesome developers working on Libretro have done it again, folks! Earlier this week, a brand new re-write of Mupen64plus was released in an alpha state on the latest Libretro nightly. What's special about this emulator? With support from the new Vulkan API, they were able to code a new LLE CPU interpreter/recompiler; a breakthrough in accurate N64 emulation. This new emulator will be (rather fittingly) named ParaLLEl.

What is paraLLEl?
This is a standalone libretro core for now that we keep separate from the regular Mupen64plus libretro core that it is based on. It includes only a Vulkan rendering backend and a low-level RSP. This core will only work right now if you are running it with a Vulkan driver.

In the future, paraLLEl will be the new name for our N64 emulator which (while initially starting out as a Mupen64plus core) has grown into its very own entity. It will have among other things:

– Completely rewritten CPU cores, both interpreter and dynarec. We want to fix the remaining CPU bugs that prevents Mupen64plus from being able to run certain games that PJ64 can, for instance. We also want to be able to move away from having two separate dynarec systems in Mupen64plus, where one is aimed at Atoms and ARM CPUs, and the other is meant for desktop x86, and neither is particulary fast.
– A unified HLE video renderer that combines the best of Glide64, Gliden64, Rice, and GLN64, and offers optional runtime codepaths for performance.
– A unified LLE video renderer infrastructure that allows for both software rendering (Angrylion) and the Vulkan/GL 4.3 powered equivalent (the video plugin we now call paraLLEl).
– As part of the CPU rewrite, an RSP dynarec will also have been written around that time.

:arrow:Source

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Last edited by AtlasFontaine,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so when can we expect a vwii version? :creep:
When vWii gets Vulkan support lol
Honestly the only promising one is CEN64 which is being written from the ground up for accurate emulation. Mupen64plus was started back when this wasn't a concern and I'm sure it'll never reach CEN64's levels of accuracy unless they keep rewriting it.
I initially thought so, too, but given that they've achieved low level CPU emulation and new, more accurate video backends in just the alpha version, I'm going to be keeping my eye on both projects now.
Especially if the libretro devs do us a solid and release a version that doesn't rely on retroarch as a frontend

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can't people be excited for both CEN64 and this? I for one, can't run CEN64 for the life of me, my Core i5 3570 can't run it as I'm sure CEN64 would fry my motherboard; I gave RetroArch with Vulkan a whirl and despite it being alpha, it runs pretty darn well :P I should make a video of it soon :D

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my gosh if he made a standalone Windows frontend for just ParaLLEl I would shit myself

I also saw that PCSXR thing as well, similar to the GTE precision hack, but better it seems, I'm gonna try that out; as much as I loved the PSX, I couldn't stand the warping/wobbly polygons lol.

Edit: Trying out the PSX emulator, dayum that hack makes a huge difference in 3D games alright :blink:

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U? No way.
I'll see if my laptop supports Vulkan, but I'm probably going to want to stick to one project at a time. What's wrong with RetroArch?

Have you been in contact with the RA devs for help? You should stick to your guns and work on one thing at a time, ie. the RetroU or whatever the RA-like project was called. See, the problem with RA for the Wii is Snes and the like run decently (well, mostly, the Snes9x Next core is completely broken in 1.3.6 for some reason), but N64 and PSX emulation suffers greatly and you know, we want to support you as much as you can.

Wait, Wii64 is still being worked on?? I loved that emulator!

Not64 is a lot better than Wii64, but that received an update in April, WiiSX...not so much.

D

Deleted User

Have you been in contact with the RA devs for help? You should stick to your guns and work on one thing at a time, ie. the RetroU or whatever the RA-like project was called. See, the problem with RA for the Wii is Snes and the like run decently (well, mostly, the Snes9x Next core is completely broken in 1.3.6 for some reason), but N64 and PSX emulation suffers greatly and you know, we want to support you as much as you can.

Not64 is a lot better than Wii64, but that received an update in April, WiiSX...not so much.
Ah okay. I will try out that emulator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2