Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

New Japanese Wii Motherboard Blocks Modchips

New Motherboard, Three Pins Removed

japwiimotherboard.jpg

A new Wii motherboard has shown up in Japan which blocks current modchips. The revised motherboard has three pins removed from one of the chips which renders modchips useless. There have been several reports of these motherboards appearing, however they are limited to only Japan for the time being.

xanonwk said:

Wii NTSC-J cut pins, you can't MOD it any more

It is a latest news from a shop in 188. The latest lots of Wii NTSC-J can't be modded. Why? It's because 3-pins are physically cut from a surface-mounted IC. There are still some Wii NTSC-J unaffected in 188 and Golden, but price will go up soon once this news spreads out and everyone is struggling to be the last one to have it. So hurry if you have not gotten one yourself yet. Of course, if you only play legitimate games, then it doesn't bother you anyway.

Luckily, Wii NTSC-U is not affected yet.

If you're interested in modchips it might be wise to pick up a Wii now rather than later.

icon11.gif
Source

chillyp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I saw this coming when the first modchips were released. It wasn't going to take long for Nintendo to stop people from using the service pins from manufacturing to mod their Wiis. I was surprised that they haven't attempted to release firmware which detects them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting development, wonder if it is just pins moved or whether you will have to etch down and solder on chip (which is about as fun as it sounds).

chillyp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Interesting development, wonder if it is just pins moved or whether you will have to etch down and solder on chip (which is about as fun as it sounds).

Looks like the pins have been sliced off the IC completely, judging by the soldering they probably did it just after programming it with initial firmware. Wouldn't this potentially make it harder to service bricked Wiis? I suppose Nintendo has weighed that up against the cost of losing software sales.

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As I already own a Wii thats has a modchip installed this doesn't bother me right now. I just hope they find a way around this new mother board in case of something.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Looks like the pins have been sliced off the IC completely, judging by the soldering they probably did it just after programming it with initial firmware. Wouldn't this potentially make it harder to service bricked Wiis? I suppose Nintendo has weighed that up against the cost of losing software sales.

everything gets cracked
laugh.gif
nintendo are just making teams like wiikey more money. The people who make modchips will be rubbing thier hands together because they will just make more money if they come up with a new modchip first... Nintendo will still lose.

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:

everything gets cracked
laugh.gif
nintendo are just making teams like wiikey more money. The people who make modchips will be rubbing thier hands together because they will just make more money if they come up with a new modchip first... Nintendo will still lose.
Yep. All they are doing is buying them selfs time.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finally some picture confirmation.
Maybe they can still be soldered to? It's not clear in the picture whether they are sheared off flush and still have the 'points' available to solder to.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting turn of events. I will be watching for the next couple of years before I get the Wii... possibly even the PS3... gasp! (hey, I have to fold my proteins)

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Might have to get me a PAL Wii soon then, always wanted one but was waiting for a Wii with DVD playback or at least untill better modchip where released. O well we just wait and see what happens, there is bount to be a new modchip for the Wii anyway since there is a 'large' market for it I hope.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bah, I fixed such a cut IC in a radio shack calculator when I was 14, using a woodburning iron no less. I more recently did the language/firmware mod on a epoxy bumped R4... makes it harder to mod, but far from impossible, since they still leave the internal legs and plenty of room to get at the manually cut off connections.

kaoken: not quite so simply unless they were really sloppy in cutting them, you have to have something to re-attach them to first. You risk the chip "making" space to attach to if they left none, though with the right tools what is left in that picture I could solder to if I had to (wouldn't be very sturdy or reliable though).

* in all honesty, it looks like a stop-gap until a board redesign *

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bah, I fixed such a cut IC in a radio shack calculator when I was 14, using a woodburning iron no less. I more recently did the language/firmware mod on a epoxy bumped R4... makes it harder to mod, but far from impossible, since they still leave the internal legs and plenty of room to get at the manually cut off connections.

kaoken: not quite so simply unless they were really sloppy in cutting them, you have to have something to re-attach them to first. You risk the chip "making" space to attach to if they left none, though with the right tools what is left in that picture I could solder to if I had to (wouldn't be very sturdy or reliable though).

* in all honesty, it looks like a stop-gap until a board redesign *
Strange. What is this mod you can perform on an epoxy bump on the R4 that you are talking about? I bought an R4 from Hong Kong and I noticed it was also just a blob of the black stuff but this was before the PCB revision and I could still mod it.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

everything gets cracked
laugh.gif
Nintendo is stopping the mod chip people from going into a mass production, mod chip people proberly only make as much as they can sell, Because they know of revision
If nintendo didnt revise, they could be making unlimited ammount of chips at a fraction of the price and make a huge profit (proberly many times more then now)

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heard about this yesturday on the board. Great to see a picture though. Looks like it might be a good idea to buy a few wiis, then chip them. Wait 6 months to make sure all the wiis have the new mobo, then charge loads for a chipped wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉