New Japanese Wii Motherboard Blocks Modchips

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, May 25, 2007.

1. nephdj

nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Apr 13, 2007
    Judge found that people have the right to be region free, sony lost the case 1year ago
    Now sony are region free, mod chips are as good as illegal if it goes back to court

Its been in and out of court, and that was the only time the court ever was pro modchip, and now reasons gone

2. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2006
    Let's say if I have an alarm clock. If I decide to install a chip to make the clock louder, is it illegal?

Seems like the methods that are illegal involved redistribution of copyrighted BIOS code.

Am I right to say:

Hardware Mod = Legal
    Software Mod = Illegal?

yo-ho-yo-ho a pirate's life for me. [​IMG]

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    @dohclude simple maybe but it precludes a fairly large number of people: how many threads, presumably resulting for some business for yourself, have been along the lines of "I lifted pads/burned stuff/accidentally summoned Cthulhu when soldering my Wii"?.

Edit: with regard to mod chips take a look at various tech websites, http://www.theregister.co.uk/ has a lot on the issue stretching back many years (many = more than 5).

@Wishmaster you hit the nail on the head about the alarm clock, most modern chips have their own BIOS/code though. Also remember MS went after DOA volleyball modders for sharing their work and the reason no gameshark/codebreaker exists (officially anyhow).

4. imgod22222

imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

Jul 5, 2006
    United States
    ...hey, that brings up a good point. Are action replays illegal? They perform some things that are impossible to do 'in game', but are possible 'within the game's programming'. Ex) Mario Kart DS Beta tracks, you usually can't get to them, but action replay lets you. And then all the other stuff.

5. corbs132

corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2004
    United States
    they wont cut the companies @ source bc there are already homebrew chips out.

6. pduin

pduin Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    I think it's weird, you buy a console so it is yours. Why cant you do what you like with it? Taking it to bed, smashing it with a hammer, paint it gold, install a modchip... what's the difference exactly?

7. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    They want to protect their property (software sales). It doesn't really have anything to do with the modding the system itself...

Besides, it's against the stupid DMCA in the USA...

8. pduin

pduin Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    So you can do what you like with the console as long as you avoid changing the copy-protection?

9. Scorpin200

Scorpin200 Iceman

Banned
    Jan 14, 2006
    United States
    Maryland
    You make it sound like this has prevented the current mod chips to work. No. You can still solder to the points, if you can see metal you can solder. If you can't see enough metal for your skill level (pah, amateurs), you can just get a pair of wire clippers and cut away at the plastic to expose more of the pins. [​IMG]

What? [​IMG]

10. Rocco Savadgie

Rocco Savadgie GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2006
    I usually never do this kind of thing for anyone else, however I did fix a botched wiikey install with damaged pins like this for a friend. His first mistake was to use speaker cable that was way too big. Next mistake was to use a 30watt iron that was far to hot and lifted the pads. His final mistake was to take the decision to bend up the chip legs to assist in soldering to the legs with the fat speaker cable. Needless to say, all three legs snapped off.

To fix it for him I used a fine (1mm thick) Stanley blade and scrapped back 3mm from the casing above the damaged pins. Once the pins were exposed, I soldered using thinned 1 mm thick wire. Overall took about 30 minutes to fix it up for him and he bought me a pitcher of cider for my troubles (yar!).

This pin removal by Nintendo will in no way hinder modding.

11. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    Have you guys been following this thread over at WiiNewz?

http://psx-scene.com/forums/wii-modchips/5...y-hard-mod.html

These things have hit North American retail shelves. Somewhere between serial numbers starting with LU51519 and LU51549 Nintendo has started cutting the pins on the drive chip that mods connect to.

12. Jeda

Jeda GBAtemp Fan

Nov 7, 2002
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    It is more like the other way around. It is their product, they can change it anyway they want. You can still still smash it with a hammer. You might not be able to install that modchip, but they never offered that as a feature in the first place [​IMG]

13. chronjohnson

chronjohnson Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2006
    Spent all week trying to buy a Wii, while I do mutilated Wiis start coming out...who's buying them? Jerks, that's who. Putting them up online for 400 apiece. Who wants to pay 400 bucks from a middleman. You have to line up at store opening Sunday morning an hour before they open just for a ticket to attempt to get a single Wii, and now it's mutilated, and you can't get it anyway. Stupid console. 400 bucks buys a fat XBox 360 and it has more than 4 games I'd care to play.

14. thegame07

thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 16, 2006
    im buying a wii in 3 weeks time so can this type of wii solderd. :'(

15. jaxxster

jaxxster The Heretic

Oct 31, 2006
    South East London
    At the end of the day, We cant complain, Nintendo are just doing what we'd all do in thier position.

16. chronjohnson

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2006
    The new mutilated revision can still be modded. You need skills filing away the protective outer coating of a microchip. Mad skills. Then they'll roll out a true non-mutilated revision that no amount of filing will correct. This will eventually lead to a more complete mod solution ala Viper/Qoob, not a drive chip; or a new form of drive exploit. It's all moot because Nintendo doesn't want to sell any Wiis to anyone, mod-proof or otherwise. You'd think it was still launch.

17. Vater Unser

Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Oct 28, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Pen Island
    Then why did you spent all week trying to buy one?
    I agree that the X360 has more interesting games than the Wii at the moment, but that's going to change by the end of the year, so I don't regret to have bought one (although it's pretty much a dust collecting paperweight at the moment)

18. chronjohnson

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2006
    Do you really think you've outwitted me. You admit my point is valid even while questioning my original statement. Then contribute some worthwhile information and inform us as to how you managed to purchase a nonexistant console.

19. thegame07

thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 16, 2006
    Can someone provide a list of the serial numbers that cant be chipped or if the legs have been cut. Im going to buy one in 2 weeks time but if it turns out i have one it cant be chipped im going to swap my uncle his for mines since he doesnt want his chipped [​IMG]

20. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2006
    london, england

why dont you just buy a pre modded WII from respectable online UK sellers?

itll be liek £250....and professeianlly soldered and everything