New Japanese Wii Motherboard Blocks Modchips

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, May 25, 2007.

May 25, 2007
  1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia

New Japanese Wii Motherboard Blocks Modchips

New Motherboard, Three Pins Removed

[​IMG]

A new Wii motherboard has shown up in Japan which blocks current modchips. The revised motherboard has three pins removed from one of the chips which renders modchips useless. There have been several reports of these motherboards appearing, however they are limited to only Japan for the time being.

If you're interested in modchips it might be wise to pick up a Wii now rather than later.

[​IMG] Source

2. chillyp

Newcomer chillyp Advanced Member

Australia
    I saw this coming when the first modchips were released. It wasn't going to take long for Nintendo to stop people from using the service pins from manufacturing to mod their Wiis. I was surprised that they haven't attempted to release firmware which detects them.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Interesting development, wonder if it is just pins moved or whether you will have to etch down and solder on chip (which is about as fun as it sounds).

4. chillyp

Newcomer chillyp Advanced Member

Australia
    Looks like the pins have been sliced off the IC completely, judging by the soldering they probably did it just after programming it with initial firmware. Wouldn't this potentially make it harder to service bricked Wiis? I suppose Nintendo has weighed that up against the cost of losing software sales.

5. Da Foxx

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    As I already own a Wii thats has a modchip installed this doesn't bother me right now. I just hope they find a way around this new mother board in case of something.

6. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    everything gets cracked [​IMG] nintendo are just making teams like wiikey more money. The people who make modchips will be rubbing thier hands together because they will just make more money if they come up with a new modchip first... Nintendo will still lose.

7. Da Foxx

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yep. All they are doing is buying them selfs time.

8. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    Finally some picture confirmation.
    Maybe they can still be soldered to? It's not clear in the picture whether they are sheared off flush and still have the 'points' available to solder to.

9. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Interesting turn of events. I will be watching for the next couple of years before I get the Wii... possibly even the PS3... gasp! (hey, I have to fold my proteins)

10. Teun

Member Teun GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Hmm, how long untill somebody gives us a new modchip? [​IMG]

11. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    I guess that's the big question. Hopefully we will see some progress on a proper modchip for the Wii that will allow homebrew code to be run.

12. kaoken

kaoken Newbie

cant you just re attach the pins?

13. Gestahl

Member Gestahl GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Is there something worth playing on Wii anyway?

14. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    Strikers. And Gamecube.

15. Muskusrat

Member Muskusrat GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Might have to get me a PAL Wii soon then, always wanted one but was waiting for a Wii with DVD playback or at least untill better modchip where released. O well we just wait and see what happens, there is bount to be a new modchip for the Wii anyway since there is a 'large' market for it I hope.

16. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Out of curiousity, what is 188 and Golden anyways?

17. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Bah, I fixed such a cut IC in a radio shack calculator when I was 14, using a woodburning iron no less. I more recently did the language/firmware mod on a epoxy bumped R4... makes it harder to mod, but far from impossible, since they still leave the internal legs and plenty of room to get at the manually cut off connections.

kaoken: not quite so simply unless they were really sloppy in cutting them, you have to have something to re-attach them to first. You risk the chip "making" space to attach to if they left none, though with the right tools what is left in that picture I could solder to if I had to (wouldn't be very sturdy or reliable though).

* in all honesty, it looks like a stop-gap until a board redesign *

18. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Strange. What is this mod you can perform on an epoxy bump on the R4 that you are talking about? I bought an R4 from Hong Kong and I noticed it was also just a blob of the black stuff but this was before the PCB revision and I could still mod it.

19. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Nintendo is stopping the mod chip people from going into a mass production, mod chip people proberly only make as much as they can sell, Because they know of revision
    If nintendo didnt revise, they could be making unlimited ammount of chips at a fraction of the price and make a huge profit (proberly many times more then now)

20. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Heard about this yesturday on the board. Great to see a picture though. Looks like it might be a good idea to buy a few wiis, then chip them. Wait 6 months to make sure all the wiis have the new mobo, then charge loads for a chipped wii.