New iPad/iPad 3 operates at a higher temperature

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
According to some new iPad users, they claim that the iPad is considerably hotter than the iPad 2 after about 30 min of use (especially at the left bottom corner of the tablet - opposite the speaker grill).

This is proven by some tests done by a Dutch site. The new iPad operates at about 5 degrees hotter than the iPad 2.

Thermal camera imagery has confirmed what iPad 3 owners already knew: the new Apple fondleslab runs hotter than its predecessor did.

The guys over at Dutch-language site Tweakers.net took an infrared camera and snapped the tablets alongside each other. Both iPads were set running GLBenchmark to thrash their CPUs, and after five minutes the team took the following snap.

It does not overheat, however in certain cases the iPad shuts down automatically to "cool-down mode".

Apple has yet to comment.

Based on the set I tried (about 15 min), the iPad did feel quite warm. It wasn't that bad though, it was about the same as my iPad 2.

The thermo-photo is in the source.

SOURCE: http://www.reghardware.com/2012/03/20/confirmed_apple_new_ipad_3_runs_hotter_than_ipad_2/

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does apple think its ok to just let internal components fry? Every product of theirs that i have gets ridiculously hot. My iPhone, my MacBook Pro, and all of the iMacs in the lab get super hot.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Do note that the test was while purposely running a benchmark to max out the device... and the recorded temperature is less than the internal human body temperature.

That said, more powerful devices tend to produce more heat; duh. Not enough time has passed for either efficiency or cooling technology to progress further so it's to be expected that a more powerful model of the same device will produce more heat.

Reactions: 1 person

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Not enough time has passed for either efficiency or cooling technology to progress further so it's to be expected that a more powerful model of the same device will produce more heat.
Interesting. Can you explain why that is? I mean, one would think that as powerful devices become more commonplace, the cooling technology would also advance at a similar rate. If you don't know, forget about it. I'm just curious.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Can you explain why that is? I mean, one would think that as powerful devices become more commonplace, the cooling technology would also advance at a similar rate. If you don't know, forget about it. I'm just curious.
Cooling involves properties of physics and heat transfer, the law of conservation comes into effect big-time. Technology to deal with heat progresses very slowly, if at all. You can't magically make heat go away. Either you transfer it somewhere else, or just make less in the first place.

As for the first option, that's very limited on a handheld. To transfer it away from the device is to transfer it near the user (seeing as tablets are often used in multiple orientations).

For the second option, computer architectures that improve processing speed to a noticeable degree while also improving heat production usually come along once every few years. The time between the last iPad model and this one was a single year, and more was put into it anyways, which often negates/overrides any benefits there may have been.

EDIT: Conservation, not conversation. XD

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
First of all, cooling technologies is getting better and larger under your blind nose, lets put for example the multi-platform FAN_# 3.5", controlling 8 fans in one PC can be very deadly air-tight and in the right position you can cool even the hottest CPUs while they are overclocked to an extreme to be compared with fry ice and water cooling (fry ice being the extreme 8 fans setup), cooling has gotten much larger then physics base heat transfer rules and tools, smaller pieces of sillicon tend to use less power and therefore less heat is disturbed, also a larger amount of CPU MOFSET can generally use the voltage power in better way, like more rails of voltage does better to a PSU, it's cooler to give 4.5v to a CPU via 3 1.5V MOFSET and one, and think about the 10+ MOFSET we got? it's easier to deal with the heat disturbed by 10 MOFSET then with 3 MOFSET, it'll be like 0.45V per MOFSET for a 4.5v CPU (we went down that number a long time ago) and we are dealing with the voltage transferred to the CPU better, the TriGate transistor also proves to use CPU voltage to more extent, nearly doubling the performance per voltage, do not forget that cooling methods are always being updated, companies such as CoolerMaster and Scythe are developing a better and more efficent use of electricty and fan setup and cycle the very time we speak like Intel develops a new CPU right now (if not several), you are out of your mind to say that cooling is stuck, we are developing towards the 15+ MOFSET era with liquid based cooling GPUs BUILT IN and disturbed by the actual manufacters, not to mention the price difference, for $30 you can have a MUGEN 2 that equals in performance for TRUE that was last years winner in price\performance and it cost about $50,

Bottom line - Rydian, stop loving Apple for their perfection, they have a great line of proof that they got a very bad case designers and engineers, I still remember the 100C+ incident with the wrong use of the cooling that was made ready for them for a Intel processor that is (lucky to them) able to handle such tempertures without melting, but it was close to malfancution temperture and 5C off from defact

source of applefail : http://www.techspot.com/news/38724-core-i7-hits-100c-on-macbook-pro-aluminum-shell-to-blame.html

Apple's savior is the iPhone, without the iPhone Apple would've been dieing at this very moment, Microsoft won the OS and PC war, Apple was still fighting it, Apple had a sound card problem with their first iPod products and they had a very bad sync and software issue with their iPod Touch, just watch their shares history to understand how low they were before the iPhone

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Apple could invest the extra cash used for this iShit by using better hardware, you've ignored the point by using one part of me ranting about cooling being unstoppable? they could've easily used MOFSET trick to cool down ARM processors to half of their heat disturbtion

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
"Yay working an aluminum cased MacBook Pro at max graphics and max CPU usage makes it hot". Well duh? I've played Fallout 3 (Bootcamped Win7 for compatibility) and sure it's fired up my i7 and GT 330M. It's not like any tech could transfer the heat as fast as the machine produces it = CPU, GPU, Powercord, Table under the laptop, Screen usage at max, hands on the keyboard + probably a few other things. Could you ask for more insulation? Just like people could laugh at some of the high-tech gaming laptops that work for a few mins with max graphics "LOL NO USAGE FOR THAT!". Meh.

OT: If the iPad heats up when using normal apps like basic browsing, readers and such, it could be a problem, otherwise it's kinda moot.. Sure it could be updated to transfer the heat, but maybe we'll see it in the next version..

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Apple denies this: http://news.yahoo.com/apple-on-new-ipad-heat-issue--it-s-not-as-hot-as-you-think.html
I think they 'do not want to give away another case'.

But the iPad under normal usage should not be too hot anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't really see the point in updating it tbh