New Intellivision Amico Gamescom trailer gives a glimpse at some of its exclusive games

The Intellivision Amico has certainly gained notoriety ever since its reveal, boldly claiming it would have more impressive 2D visuals than the current console generation. It's been almost a year since that initial tease, and at Gamescom 2019, we got a better look at what exactly the Amico will have to offer. In a new trailer, Tommy Tallarico talks about the goal of the Amico, and his desire to create family-friendly games that are simple and easy for people to play together. The new system, which looks like a 90's MP3 player crossed a wireless landline phone, will also come in five color variations: red, purple, gold, silver, and black. There will be 17 titles at launch, all of them exclusive to the Amico; in fact, every game on the console will be an exclusive. Some of the games received brief snippets of footage in the trailer, though there was no mention of the new Earthworm Jim game. The Intellivision Amico will launch on October 10, 2020 for $149, with each of its games costing $2.99 to $9.99.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
this is doomed to fail because the market this is aimed at which is casuals and kids will just play these type of games on their phones it doesn't matter if this has exclusives i am sure they will just be clones of many other games already available elsewhere. also those controllers are fucking ugly and horrible. what did they design this off a 1980's telephone?! :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Eh, this doesn't feel like its going to be a successful console, it feels like its mainly targeting the people who used to own the original Intellivision with the reimaginings and remasters of older games and that's alright, but it seems like its going to be way too niche. Also it targets "causal gamers" when most people that play games don't want to be seen as causal and the actual casuals play mobile games.
The YouTube comments seem kinda excited, but i'm pretty sure its going to flop.
Also was getting some OUYA vibes from the trailer with the "redefining entertainment with family and friends" and the "fun with a group of people" stuff.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
also those controllers are fucking ugly and horrible. what did they design this off a 1980's telephone?! :lol:

...pretty sure it's meant to be evocative of the original systems - and in that regard it looks great... how ergonomic or "good" it is will remain to be seen.
934175intellivision1.jpg

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What kind of people could be interested in buying this console? Those who had an Intellivision as kids in the 80's?

The guy is confusing home entertainment with arcades.
So i guess people who were in arcades could like this?
They all look like arcade games anyway, only thing missing is "insert coin".

D

Deleted User

that controller still looks like ass

and i remember when they said the system would only do 2D games, but "really good looking 2D games that the other consoles can't do"
last i checked consoles as far back as the ps1 and n64 were capable of 2.5D, which is what this thing seems to have judhing by those games

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The guy is confusing home entertainment with arcades.
So i guess people who were in arcades could like this?
They all look like arcade games anyway, only thing missing is "insert coin".
Most (if not all) of the games in this trailer are remakes of old Atari/Intellivision games. I certainly recognize Moon Patrol, Asteroids and Lock'n'Chase there.

These are all basic arcade style highscore chase games that very few of the younger generation will be interested in. It looks like they are creating this console mainly for people with nostalgia for the original Intellivision console which can't be that many.

Like I said, they might as well just put these games on a compilation and release them on already existing consoles.

Earthworm Jim alone can't save this thing.

Edit:
I stand corrected.:)

Last edited by Reynardine,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That is with the assumption everyone has the same costs of internet like you though. Also if I'm not mistaken, there are games that come with the subscription, though Google hasn't been clear on this front. But that clears the question of "why would anyone want this", small market yes, but there's plenty of people who would like this sort of thing. Time will tell how it does I guess.

EDIT: Apparently recently it has been cleared up by Eurogamer. You're right, you do have to buy every game separately at full price. Only Destiny will be free with Stadia Pro, and there will be a monthly free games thing like PS+. In that case, I take back what I said, this market is even smaller than I imagined, what is Google thinking? I'm curious to see how it does anyhow.
yeah you pay 60$ plus stadia monthly fee to stream the game and then if you miss the stadia dee you loose the ability to play the game so you just lost your 60$ lol.

but yeah those intel games look like something found on the android shop games really, i have zero interest on this list, i dont think atari like games aged well, they have no end just infinite playthrough until you die to get a high score, so meh i dont play games that dont end.

R0B0T0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most (if not all) of the games in this trailer are remakes of old Intellivision games. I certainly recognize Moon Patrol, Asteroids and Lock'n'Chase

Asteroids and Moon Patrol were never officially released for the Intellivision. They were on the Atari VCS though.

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Asteroids and Moon Patrol were never officially released for the Intellivision. They were on the Atari VCS though.
You got me. I didn't know that. It was the homebrew clone "Space Patrol" that I played a while ago.

I'm only familiar with the Intellivision through emulation. There's an excellent homebrew Arcade Donkey Kong port for it, that's how I became interested in the console.

Last edited by Reynardine,

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I do not think this console is for some one who not have nostalgia to Intelivision. This vid isn't impressive even graphically. I think that most of players buy switch compared to this. I do not think this controllers are comfortable, they also wanna provide some app to use smartphone as controllers (lag). Even if this is cheap, but 0% chances compared to Switch that isn't only for 2D simple games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)