New images for live-action 'Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City' released

resi evil 1.jpg

Yet another Resident Evil live-action movie is in the works and slated for a release later this year. But this one is separate from the ones featuring Milla Jovovich. The upcoming Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City is written and directed by Johannes Roberts who confirmed in a recent interview with IGN that "this movie really had nothing to do with the previous franchise". "This was all about returning to the games and creating a movie that was much more a horror movie than the sort of sci-fi action of the previous films," Roberts added.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City plot will revolve around the first two Resident Evil games and will as such feature iconic characters like Claire Redfield (Kaya Scodelario), Leon S. Kennedy (Avan Jogia), Albert Wesker (Tom Hopper), Richard Aiken (Chad Rook), Jill Valentine (Hannah John-Kamen), and Chris Redfield (Robbie Amell). IGN's interview also included exclusive images giving us a first look at the actors portraying those characters. You can see those 3 images below, where one is also of Lisa Trevor (Marina Mazepa):

resi evil 1.jpg

resi 2.jpg resi 3.jpg

“We worked very closely with Capcom. Every character and creature is from the game and as such, I wanted to be as faithful as possible. I wanted to create a truly immersive feeling for the fans,” Roberts said in the interview. “But that also became the trickiest part of adapting a piece of IP like this because I didn’t just want to put the game on screen - it had to be its own thing with living breathing characters and creatures (and, of course, zombies!) that felt true to the world.”

What do you think of those first images of Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City? Will you watch it when it premieres in theaters later this year (November 24 in the US, November 25 in Australia and December 3 in the UK)?

:arrow: SOURCE

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what even is this obmination lmaooooo - them top comments
freakin hell mate, how is leon Mexican???? - the damn actor's name sounds hispanic T_T please dont kill me now, - wait i found out he Columbian, i knew he was Hispanic .... brooo than claire - looks older than him..what is even???
oh fUkin hell mate i found out leon actor is from victorias, WHYYYY?????

i'm legit in tears from laughing too hard

So, being from British Columbia in CANADA makes you Hispanic, Mexican and Columbian???
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2240326/

When cosplayers dress better than actual actors
n9bf793sbzx11.png

zc2ybm31lw431.jpg

Enjoy your cosplay fanfilm featuring a cast who's only attribute is owning a wardrobe similar to a game characters but with zero proven acting ability.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Dude, the actress is 29, if that's old what does that make you?

Or me? @_@
she is old for her part lol they all are tbh
she is supposed to be 19 and not 29 lol.

• 16 Claire Redfield Age: 19
  • 17 Chris Redfield Age: 25
  • 18 Jill Valentine Age: 23
  • Leon S. Kennedy Age: 21

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So? Ali Larter was 31 when she first portrayed Claire in RE Extinction and 35 when she was in RE Afterlife.
why are you bringing in the old re movies? everyone shits on them and they follow no story or game at all, they are basically fanfic lol, he said he wanted to make thing as accurate as possible and making characters basically all the same age(since all actors are kinda the same with one year apart or so), it looses the affect where Claire was the much youngster in the bunch.

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just saying... only pedantic twats dictating that adaptations aren't allowed to deviate in the slightest from existing representations are getting worked up over this cast not looking like a pixel perfect cosplay rendition.
Shit - you should start by pulling apart all the games in the franchise because none of the main character models, in any of the various formats, actually look like the cast from the live action intro to the first game.
Get over it, and let someone create their version of the property for a medium outside of gaming. Who knows, it might actually be good this time.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same for Uncharted Movie. Tom Holland as Drake looks great but Mark Wahlberg as Victor Sullivan ? He don't looks like Victor Sullivan at all because of no mustache ? Sad!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
she is old for her part lol they all are tbh
she is supposed to be 19 and not 29 lol.

• 16 Claire Redfield Age: 19
  • 17 Chris Redfield Age: 25
  • 18 Jill Valentine Age: 23
  • Leon S. Kennedy Age: 21
To be fair people have been questioning the ages there a bit for quite some time.
Various people in RE universe having been special forces veterans (most places, especially the US, tend not to allow you in much before 25, though 20 is the minimum I guess, and preferably with a proven record already, though there is the xray route I suppose or maybe just civilian contractor. Given the timeline some were also women, Jill Valentine supposedly being in Delta Force https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Jill_Valentine , which is basically unheard of even to this day never mind in the 90s, and back then would probably have been medic only as well. https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Chris_Redfield Chris Redfield supposedly being a pilot in 1990, born 1973, which you need to have a bachelors degree/be within a year of getting one as well and minimum age of 18 to begin training).
Pumping that up into the mid-late 20s minimum could stand to reason, though filled with prodigies is common enough in films I guess, and you could keep the looks well enough too.

That said seeing the shot there I did not recognise her at first and I used to watch Skins (the first thing she was probably known for in the UK at least, not sure what would have been her US noted role, the US attempting to remake skins albeit with other characters and it getting the puritans close it down in short order so I have to assume the UK version never made it big there, but probably Maze Runner or maybe The Truth About Emanuel) all the time and thought she was looking rather older than might have been ideal. For the purposes of amusing myself I am going to assume she kept up the lifestyle from Skins and it took its toll.
Compilation, and not even that good of one

To that end not worried about the ability to act (though I can't say I have seen her in any action films, and there have been a few apparently) but I do find the wardrobe and makeup about as questionable as her outfit was, tactically speaking, in the original RE3... or indeed the second film

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^ Glad someone else here appreciated Skins. The whole cast was stellar, and the majority have gone on to make it big; Nicholas Holt, Daniel Kaluuya, Dev Patel, Jack O'Connell. And the likes of Joe Dempsie and Hannah Murray finding their way into Game of Thrones.
Kaya Scodelario hasn't been as good in anything since, but Skins proved she's more than capable - certainly good enough to be in a video game movie!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^ Glad someone else here appreciated Skins. The whole cast was stellar, and the majority have gone on to make it big; Nicholas Holt, Daniel Kaluuya, Dev Patel, Jack O'Connell. And the likes of Joe Dempsie and Hannah Murray finding their way into Game of Thrones.
Kaya Scodelario hasn't been as good in anything since, but Skins proved she's more than capable - certainly good enough to be in a video game movie!
While pragmatically I know computer game films have basically never been done well (Prince of Persia being about as close to good as I have yet seen, though I unironically have enjoyed some of the CGI resident evil films) I would opt for the "just because you don't have to do a good job" mindset, and note several cartoons have been top notch as well, also probably some anime.

As far as things since then you now reminded me of the time I watched Shank (dystopian then near future urban UK film... I'm in, however I came to regret that one) so no thanks there.

On game of thrones and seeing actors from darker/edgier UK teen TV. I also watched misfits quite a lot so that was quite the odd affair seeing various later series of game of thrones.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's far more to a good adaptation than nailing the casting and visuals - just look at Snyder's Watchmen; from a casting and visual aesthetic point of view it's perfect... in terms of doing a good job of accurately representing the source material on the big screen it failed miserably.

Last edited by duwen,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did it fail miserably at adaptation? Before going too much further I will note I only ever watched the Director's cut/ultimate version rather than the theatrical.

If you are looking for something to base your English essay on then sure take the comic. The bits, arguably necessarily, cut from the film do add things to it.

If you are looking for something that ponders what it might be like to have some flavour of superheroes going in real life, dare I say a deconstruction, which is pretty much what the comic was about, then Watchmen is good stuff and works well as a film for me.
Now if I am going to look for something with the same basic premise I would probably pick at least series 1 of The Boys, and what I have seen so far of Invincible looks like it is heading in that direction too.

Also where does that place the TV series as far as failures of adaptation?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the Watchmen TV series was okay for what it was... but that said, it's a 'spin-off', and even the non Alan Moore spin off comics failed to get the gist of the originals intent, and indeed, what made it so good. At least the TV series 'spun-off' from the true ending of the comic, and not the daft ending of the film.
As for the failings of the film; ignoring the meta of the comic-within-a-comic that it left out, it also omitted the sub plot of the scientists "going missing", which was not only integral to the impetus of Night Owl and Rorschach's initial investigation, it was integral to the true ending of the comic book, which was replaced with (as hinted at above) a much poorer ending... I won't go into spoilers, but lets just say it was not only so very wrong to pin it all on a certain character as the film did, but it undermined the intent of the whole plot feeling like it barely had an actual ending. The whole point of the original ending is to unite humanity against a common foe, and there's not a hint of that in the film.
And while, for the most part, it's easy to get lulled in by the visuals being as close to the actual panels of the comic accurately brought to life in a very pleasing way, the action itself is of the typical Snyder variety (ultraviolent set pieces portrayed in standard comic book fashion), that isn't how the "action" in Watchmen should be represented. Like you rightfully point out, it's a deconstruction of the superhero trope. The action and violence is portrayed in the book in a more realistic way, and rarely feels like it's in the same genre as any 'typical' superhero comics... whereas the film is very much just like any other superhero film.

Invincible and The Boys are both far better adaptations, but they both omitted a ton of great stuff from the source material. In the case of The Boys, it combined certain characters, left out others entirely, and jumped over entire story arcs... and it's still a better adaptation than Watchmen.
Jupiters Legacy was also a pretty good adaptation of another superhero deconstruction story. Shame it's not been picked up for a second season.

Last edited by duwen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...