New IGN Kirby Super Star Ultra Preview (some controls revealed)

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by granville, Aug 5, 2008.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    It's no mystery that I love Kirby (my current avatar says this). The DS is getting a remake of the SNES Kirby Super Star September 22 now with Ultra in the title. IGN has a new preview up for it which has some new info on the controls. I have my own analysis based on other sources as well. I'm lazily copy/pasting this from my post over at Rainbow Resort because I'm......lazy! Anyway:

New IGN preview:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/896/896388p1.html

One thing about the article is that the previewer seems to have never played the original. He says Spring Breeze was easy and he hopes the other modes are longer and harder. I guess that means he hasn't ever played the other modes.

There's three notable highlights in the article:

1- L and R still block attacks. X now creates your buddy. Kirby still is able to throw his current power to the buddy.

2- They say a CGI full-motion-video ends each game. I'm assuming there's two videos for each game. On in the beginning, one at the end.

3- new modes unlock in the same way by playing particular games as the SNES game.

There's some info on the minigames, but you'll have to read it yourself. I guess that guy on the DKvine forums was right about the change in button settings. It won't bother anyone much. Kirby Squeak Squad controlled just fine. From what I've heard, I can deduce what the buttons will be:

Dpad- move Kirby around
    A- jump
    B- inhale
    Y- auto inflate (if mattdog1000000 was right)
    X- create buddy
    L and R- block attacks
    Start- pause
    Select- release your current power as a bouncing star (again reported by mattdog)
    Touch Screen- besides the minigames, you can scroll through your collected abilities in Milky Ways Wishes

I'm still itching to learn about Revenge of the King since that's supposed to be traditional Kirby platformer!

For those who missed the guy on DKvine forums, his name is mattdog1000000. He has a brother in the media who was able to attend E3. He phoned in results to mattdog who in turn posted them on the forums. The controls were said to have been mapped in a similar way to Squeak Squad. Mattdog's brother didn't like the new button mappings at first, but then said he got used to them very quickly. I know you shouldn't blindly trust someone on a forum, but mattdog is a respectable member and the news fits with IGN's new information. The link to this discussion is here:

http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/forums/i...?showtopic=5829

Some images from E3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    This looks awesome.

3. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Nice. Looking forward to it. [​IMG]

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Well, it is supposed to be a remake of the best Kirby game so far

5. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    I hope there is a 2 player co op mode, like some other versions of kirby, where you could play as gloober or something

EDIT: i see princess peach in the boxing background.....

6. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Co-op has been confirmed by other sources. It's local only and unfortunately multicard-only.

That Mario cameos were in the original as well. There was Mario, Luigi (who is either gone in the remake or obscured behind the ring pole), the toads, Birdo, and Peach (who you couldn't see very well in the SNES game. She was almost completely off the side of the screen).

There's a possibility that the missing cameo characters are now on the OTHER side of the ring. In the original SNES game, the same characters were on the opposite side. Maybe they decided to fix this "paradox" in the DS remake. These cameos were also in the Megaton Punch minigame as well (again having two sets of the same Mario characters on both sides).