New icon and banner for pbboom.cia???

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Ripper00420, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Ripper00420
    OP

Ripper00420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    I have the bin files made with bannermaker, but don't know what to do from here with the cia. Please help and thanks in advance.

Below are the banner and icon files+cia

Attached Files:

Last edited by Ripper00420, Oct 14, 2015
  2. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    I have no idea what pbboom is but it sounds like this post belongs in the Homebrew Forum.

No one here knows more about banner making than @Apache Thunder, I'd suggest you get in contact with him.

3. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    My 3DS is still sitting in the pawn shop. It probably won't be till February until I get it out. So unfortunately I won't be available to help with banners. I don't work on things I can't test. :P

4. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Well, that explains why you haven't been as active as you normally are.

Can you suggest anyone else that may be able to help OP?

5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    By "pbboom" he means "prboom", which is a Doom engine/port.

You won't be able to really change the banner and icon with just the CIA (well, you probably could by extracting them and then replacing them with ctrtool and stuff, but why go to the trouble? The source for Doom is readily available). I suggest compiling it from source code and replacing the banner.bin and icon.bin yourself.

I compiled it anyway (including support for N3DS buttons, 804mhz, and L2 cache, but it should work fine on old 3DS too), so here it is.

Attached Files:

• doom.zip
      File size:
      562.5 KB
      Views:
  6. Ripper00420
    OP

Ripper00420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Thank you so much for fixing the buttons for real, and everything works great. I'm 33 years old and this was and still is my favorite game :)

P.S.- If anyone could point me to a DUMMY guide for changing the icon and banner, I would greatly appreciate it and thanks in advance. The new cia file has now been put in the helpme.rar:) I'm just really new to the 3DS scene.

Last edited by Ripper00420, Oct 16, 2015
  7. Tuiridh

Tuiridh Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    I'm in the middle of working on one right now, I have never used a 3D modeler before. Eventually I would like to make one for future .CIAs of Quake, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, and Wolfenstein 3D as well.

A very vague idea of what I have read here:
    • Unpack the .CIA with HackingToolkit3DS
    • Unpack the banner.cgfx file in the ExtractedBanner folder with EFE/baGUInnerTool/Ohana?
      Though I personally can't get any to work, others seem to have success with these tools.
    • Create your 3D model with Wings3D following the guidelines.
    • Export the .obj with the necessary file extension (Most likely .mtl)
    • Replace and rename the newly created file with the old banner image and repack everything!
    I used these tutorials:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-creating-3d-banners-from-3d-models-for-cias.433783/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-change-the-banner-of-a-3ds-game.380864/

[​IMG]

Just need to drastically reduce the faces and size, then add color and a single texture!

Last edited by Tuiridh, Mar 16, 2017