New here, and not sure where to post: Mini SuperCard SD (for gba) help?

Donzieja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, all. My name is Don. I've been having some trouble with my GBA flash cart, the Mini SuperCard SD. It started off like this: If I played one game, and saved somewhere along the way, and switched to another after that, and then tried to play the first game again, the save would be gone. Now, it's failing to save all together. Also, I always get the "internal battery has run dry, the game can be played" error (the only gba games I bother to play are pokemon, so... yea xD)

Could anyone help me out here?

Thanks,

~Don N.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Your SRAM battery has probably died. I have the exact same problem with my M3, but to a less extent (it can hold a charge for a day to several). Most cartridge games have SRAM which stores saved data, and is always charged via a battery:

sram_050902.jpg

I assume the Supercard saves the same as the M3, as in it stores saved data in the SRAM, then backs it up to the SD card, then when you play again, it loads the backup into the SRAM.

Here are some things you can do:
1) try to charge the battery by leaving your Gameboy on with the Supercard in it for a while. I did this with my M3, but it didn't work permanently. You can try to give it a shot though. Basically for me my SRAM data didn't die until a week later.

2) Replace the battery. I made a topic about this and people informed me of ways to replace the battery. You can either solder in a new one, or pry off the battery from the tabs and tape a new CR battery to the tabs.

3) You can keep it that way if you think the other options are too risky. I think if your battery is the only problem it should be easy with option 2.

Here is the thread I made in case you want to see some answers people gave me:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/m3-perfect-battery-is-bad.334951/#post-4439709

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA Supercards by nature need an additional step for saving. After saving in-game, press L+R+Select+A to bring up the saver menu, and use that to permanently write the updated save data to the *.sav file on your card. If that button combo doesn't work, then try the Quick Power Cycle method. Turn off the GBA and quickly turn it back on (if on a DS, use the button combo to force it to boot in GBA mode if needed), press right once to get to the Saver tab, and find your *.sav file and press A twice.

The "internal battery has run dry" thing is specific to games with real-time clocks, like the GBA Pokemon games. I'm not sure what to advise you there, but it is in fact a separate issue from the main "can't save properly" issue.

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
im pretty sure the Supercard GBA line dont have Batteries at all.
i remember how much of a pain it was to have to restart to main menu
and browse to saver tab.

but you said you only play pokemon so thats an entirely different problem.
Pokemon Games need to be patched.
you can probably find the patches here on GBAtemp in the Downloads section.
or here;
http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/bubbz/?system=gba&section=patch

or if you have the goodtools/goodmerge rom set try the
Pokemon - Leaf Green Version (U) (V1.0) [f1].gba

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Supercard miniSD does actually have a battery inside, which is supposed to keep the SRAM of the last game you played, but honestly I never trusted it. It's always better to use the button combo to save, or the Quick Power Cycle if the button combo doesn't work.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Supercard miniSD does actually have a battery inside, which is supposed to keep the SRAM of the last game you played, but honestly I never trusted it. It's always better to use the button combo to save, or the Quick Power Cycle if the button combo doesn't work.

I know the Supercard was a competitor of the M3, with many of the same features. I don't have a problem with the Battery backed SRAM, but it's ridiculous how fast these batteries die.
Like I said on my topic, I think the RTC is to blame for that though.

D

Deleted-236924

I know the Supercard was a competitor of the M3, with many of the same features. I don't have a problem with the Battery backed SRAM, but it's ridiculous how fast these batteries die.
Like I said on my topic, I think the RTC is to blame for that though.
The RTC could be to blame with the M3 indeed.
But on the other ones, since there is no RTC at all, the battery only runs out from keeping saves in memory.

I like the EZ-Flash IV because even if the internal battery runs dry, you would still be able to save from using in-game soft reset (I remapped my in-game soft reset to A+B+Start+Select, so when I'm done playing and saved in-game, I hit the Soft Reset button combo, which brings me back to EZ-IV main menu which proceeds to copy save file from SRAM to miniSD.)

But then... I still need to get another miniSD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and...