New guy that needs a Complete Walk through of Hacking my N3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Viary, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Okay so basically I'm new to the hacking scene on a Nintendo. A long time ago when I was around 14 ish I did hack the Psp(fun times :) ) cfw etc.

Anyways I just bought a N3DS XL yesterday and basically I want to get back to my childhood roots of Hacking! I have read various threads etc but I'm like totally lost atm. My current firmware is 10.5.0-30U.

I want to able to use CFW and basically use cheats for games etc. I recall the Psp days of Socom using hacks and boy was it fun. Only game I own currently is Pkmn AS and does it even have cheats etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated for this fella! Don't want to brick btw! Did that already and that's wear my hacking days ended back then.

Thanks!

2. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Bad news is that to get all the good stuff, beyond basic homebrew, you'd need a hardmod to downgrade from that firmware version. Good news is that if you do get the hardmod, you'll be safe against bricking and can fuck around as much as you want.

3. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Currently have the homebrew. Maybe in time it will be possible to use CFW and all the fun stuff on 10.5 one day? Lol

4. Ryu X

Ryu X GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2007
    United States
    10.5.3 is not downgradeable without a hardmod. Did you update when you bought the system? No n3ds should come with 10.5. Could exchange it if you just bought most likly if you want to soft mod it which is possible on 10.3.28 or less.

5. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Yes I did acutally. I bet it came with 10.3 !! Totally forgot about that. OK so say I go to walmart and exchange it. Tell them I got the wrong color lol! How do I go about removing traces of my homebrew? Highly doubt they will even know what that is but just to be safe.

Hoppy likes this.
  6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Clear the SD card and format the system.

7. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    Don't get your hopes up at all, it took us years to find a way downgrade. I suggest you can either sell that piece of crap or find someone who has soldering skills and hard mod it for you. And also why the hell would you update the 3ds, have you learned nothing from hacking the psp? You never update

Last edited by cooroxd, Feb 24, 2016
  8. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Took it and exchanged it for another one. This one currently has 9.6.0-24U. So now I need to downgrade correct? Also what's the odd of a brick. I know there is is a chance when doing any thing of this nature. Thanks!

Also if someone could point me to the right direction on DG that would be awesome!

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Use SafeSysUpdater to downgrade. It's recommended you use browserhax to install menuhax first. It seems to work better if you launch it through menuhax, and menuhax is more stable in my opinion.

10. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2015
    Macau
    Morocco
    Tip: use o3ds downgrade files ;)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oops just saw that you have n3ds
    So dont forget to get n3ds downgrade files!!!

11. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Currently on sysupdater..... says

Getting CIA file informations...

titleException:
    main.csp:148: Result: 0xD900182F FAiled to get CIA file info.

Been on this for about 5 minutes? Is this normal or what is my next step? Praying its not jacked up

12. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    keeping doing it, it will eventually work

13. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    So your saying I need to reboot my system correct? Is it safe to power down with is stuck on that I take it? Sorry for all the questions. Its been at least 10 years since I have hacked any handheld

14. Ryu X

Ryu X GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2007
    United States
    Yes if it freezes a lot when starting up or when trying to get the cia infos. You will hold the power button in to turn it off and restart it. Only way you brick is if it freezes when its installing something important like native firm. Even if it freezes like half way through usually you can go back in and finish up the downgrade.

Its not like PSP at all where the downgrader never froze on that system.

sysupdater is very finicky on n3ds can take upwards 50 attempts sometimes for it to load and go through. The downgrade is the most risky part. After you get done and are on 9.2 the rest of the set up, emunand and installing a cfw won't have much risk to it.

The downgrade guide
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/

-make 100% sure you have the right update files.
    -install menuhaxx, seems to work better and can relaunch your system on fails

one thing that works for some people is after you in the homebrew launcher start FTBrony and spam the B button to exit then start sysupdater. This got me a much higher boot rate on sysupdater.

Last edited by Ryu X, Feb 25, 2016
  15. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Anyone have a link to safesys?

16. Ryu X

Ryu X GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2007
    United States
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/

That is the link for safesysupdater, I personally don't really recommend it though, its good for checking if you have compatible files but the actually update should be done on sysupdater that is linked in the downgrade guide since its more stable when the actual downgrade starts.

17. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Checked the files and they all came back GOOD. Guess I just need to keep praying and trying lol! I have done it maybe 60 times it seems. Damn CIA file fail!

18. b17bomber

b17bomber GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    I've been at this for 5 hours and can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

19. Viary
    OP

Viary Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    I feel your pain. Very annoying. Probably try it this weekend. May take hours and hours lol!

20. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Both are the same once downgrading begins. One just provides a few checks to protect from user error.