New guy, a little confused, a little scared...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DopplerEffective, Mar 14, 2010.

1. DopplerEffective
    OP

Newcomer DopplerEffective Member

Canada
    So I've been looking over all the info I can on Flash Carts and the like ever since I decided to finally get a DSLite, and it is utterly confusing, I must say.

So, hello, can I get a little direction here? The big thing I'm looking for is something that will let me play both NDS and GBA ROMS. I'd prefer something with external memory (MicroSD, etc.), as that seems like a logical move. The M3 Lite looked like something right up my alley, but when I look at any online store I can never find it.

Then there's this DS Real, whatever that is, and Passkey 3. All very scary.

If you could lend a guiding light to my plight, or point me in the right direction to seek aid, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Hey [​IMG]
    Nice username
    Dopplereffect means the speed sound travels once an object has gone past it, like when a fighter-jet goes past, like 2 seconds later you hear the sound, that is the dopplereffect..

About your flashcard problem, i suggest you go buy a Acekart 2i and then buy a ezyflash 3-in-1. The ezyflash 3-in-1 is just a expansion pack that you stick into the gba slot of your DS which allows you to play pirated gba games. the Acekart 2i is just a really good flash cart that plays alot of NDS games and is compatible with the ezyflash 3-in-1

3. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I confirm what Zeromac said;

You need two devices:
    - for NDS games: the Acekard 2i, currently best DS & DSi flashcart.
    - for GBA games: the EZ-3-in-1 which comes with a GBA cart.

Both are quite cheap, they interact with eachother.

4. DopplerEffective
    OP

Canada
    Thanks, I always strive for unique names.

So... if I got the Acekart 2i, does that get rid of whatever the passkey does (which is what, exactly? I'm under the impression it 'tricks' the DS in to thinking there's a legal game or somesuch if it loads from a Slot-2 thingamabob)? Also, the ezyflash 3-in-1 works separately from the Acekart 2i? Like if I wanted to play Final Fantasy VI GBA, when the start menu pops up for the DS I just click GBA Game and select FFVI? Likewise, if I wanted to play Bowser's Inside Story I would select the DS Game and choose Bowser's Inside story? The two don't interact?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to drop money on something I don't fully understand.

5. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    1. You don't need a passme
    2. You can boot both gba and nds roms from the acekard 2i (but the ezflash 3 in 1 does the job so you also need it)

6. zeromac

Australia
    Yep you won't need a passkey or whatever, those are the things of the past now...
    The acekard 2i and the ezyflash 3in1 do interact because you have to store your GBA games onto your acekard 2i and you also have to launch the program to use the ezyflash 3in1 from the acekard 2i. Just think of the ezyflash 3in1 as extra memory thats needed to run GBA games [​IMG]

7. DopplerEffective
    OP

Canada
    That makes perfect sense now that I've had someone explain it to me. The Acekard has the ability to store it, but needs some help from the 3in1 to run it. So would I still actually get to the game by going through the Acekard menu?

EDIT: On a side note, I'm guessing post-count doesn't count posts made in the introduction forums?

8. zeromac

Australia
    Yep thats correct, you can get to the game by just going through the acekard

and to answer your side note, yea you don't gain post count in the introduction fourms [​IMG]

9. DopplerEffective
    OP

Canada
    So I'm going to run this down:

1. The Acekard 2i is the actual storage for both GBA and NDS ROMs, and everything I do menu-wise is done through the Acekard menu. It is a Slot-1 Cart and has a MicroSD slot. This will work on a DSLite.
    2. The EZYSHARE 3-in-1 is going to load my GBA ROMs I have on the Acekard. This is all I personally would use it for?
    3. The Acekard 2i will come with software to facilitate putting ROMs on to my MicroSD card?
    4. The EZYSHARE 3-in-1 is simply plug and play?

Seriously, this has been incredibly helpful, and I honestly was expecting my intro thread to be completely overlooked considering the sheer amount you have.

Final question, being in Canada, where would you recomend I purchase these two magical devices?

10. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    Yup! That's pretty much how it works for the most part.
    A few little things:

1. You just drag the ROMs onto your mocroSD, without any special software, after you've installed the firmware.

2. You might use the 3in1 for rumble in certain games, or to run a web browser.

3. This is a bit nitpicky of me but..it's EZflash-3IN1(I think), not ezshare..

I personally use a CycloDS(doesn't work on DSi), but the Acekard 2i is also an extremely good cart, nice choice [​IMG]

The list

11. zeromac

Australia
    Yep thats about all of it, Haflore just has some extra info for you above ^

Well if your looking for good service in Canada and you can shop online, have a look at our 'recommended flash cart sellers' list on the front page, very trust-worthy sites

12. DopplerEffective
    OP

Canada
    Awesome. So the firmware it comes with just sets up the MicroSD for the Acekard 2i, then?

13. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Don't use the official firmware, use AKAIO 1.6 (It's on the GBATemp front page)

14. DopplerEffective
    OP

Canada
    Sounds good. And that's all I need to make my MicroSD card work with the Acekard 2i?

15. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Pretty much. It's really easy once you do it. If your browse the 'Temp daily, it becomes second nature!

16. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Another solution : wait for the SuperCard DS Two that will emulate GBA games, and do other cool stuff. But since we have no info about the release date yet, if you can't wait, do what they said.

17. DopplerEffective
    OP

Canada
    Well, I'm planning on getting the DSL within the month, so unless it comes out like within the week, it's outside my window.

18. DopplerEffective
    OP

Canada
    So I've been reading more on Acekard, 3in1, and AKAIO, and I've seen a lot of mentions about save-files that I don't understant.

How exactly does saving a game work using the above?

19. flameiguana

Member flameiguana that's not me

United States
    Hope this helps
    [​IMG]

20. DopplerEffective
    OP

Canada
    That's very helpful, actually. So when I save my game, the file is automatically created in the same folder the ROM is found?