Software New gpsp update fixes stuttering with GBA emulation on PS Vita, offers major performance increase

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 10, 2019.

Front-page Software
    vitagba.

While you've likely been enjoying GBA emulation for years, on various platforms, the PlayStation Vita hasn't always had an easy time of it. Despite being a very similar form factor to the original GBA, and still relatively portable, the handheld never made for an ideal platform to emulate Game Boy Advance games on. mGBA is still making progress on improving GBA emulation on the Vita, while gpsp has been dealing with a major bug, which causes noticeable stuttering ingame. That's not the case anymore, though, as Frangar, developer of gpsp, has made a significant update to the emulator which fixes the broken dynarec that has been plaguing it for the past three years. The bugfix, which allows for "a big increase in performance", has been merged into Libretro's master branch, and should be available to try out in the next nightly version of RetroArch.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (50 replies)
  1. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    This might give GBA VC a run for its money for those with new series 3DS/2DS. My quick play through in F-Zero: Max Velocity, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Metroid: Zero Mission was super smooth and stable for the gpSP core found in the latest RetroArch v1.8.1 nightly build. There were a few graphical inaccuracies here and there but nothing noticeably jarring. You guys might want to adjust the video filter with 2xBR, LQ2x, or Normal2x setting for sharper image quality.

Late edit - Ignore what I wrote above. The reported bugfix only applies for the PS VITA.

I misunderstood the article with the idea this fix was cross platform. After further testing with more games like Golden Sun and Pokemon romhacks, gpSP for the 3DS still experiences random crashes.

Apologies for the bad post.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Nov 10, 2019
  2. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    So for those without a Vita, does this also affect the 3ds gpsp core?

3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    i would assume no, because the 3ds never had an issue with stuttering and thus low performance. it always ran fullspeed and beyond, just with randomly crashing for unknown (though supposedly dynarec related) reasons

so the next nightly would be out tomorrow?

4. tabnk

tabnk GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2016
    United States
  5. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Pretty nice to see!

6. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Good job! Now let's fix the 3DS dynarec too so I don't have to buy a Vita. :P

7. animex2k9

animex2k9 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Sorry but I think I came a little.

8. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Guess it's time to wipe the dust of the PSP today! :grog::psp:

9. AkitoUF

AkitoUF GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Chile
    This is awesome. It'd be great to have this kind of discoveries for SNES emulation too which, while still pretty decent, still gets slowdowns in games like DKC or in general with parts heavy on Mode7 (I noticed it while playing Dragon Quest 3 last week, got huge slowdowns when flying on the phoenix)

10. lafleche

lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2007
    Netherlands
    Great stuff.
    Playing dkc 3 as smooth as butter.

11. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Vita does what Nintendon't

adamsef and Joel16 like this.
  12. 1MiinMofo

1MiinMofo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    Finally a reason to own a PS VITA: That it can play 15-20 year old Nintendo games without stuttering like it has for years.
    LOL!

13. Joel16

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    Finally I can play games with an actually good screen, not some 240p screen that looks like it came from the 90s.

DarthDub and cvskid like this.
  14. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    with the latest nightly (retroarch) its keep crashing and not opening for me for some strange reason on the vita.

:(

Graxer likes this.
  15. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    doesnt seem to save, i dont know if im making a mistake but saves arent working

16. Graxer

Graxer Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    Exactly the same thing is happening to me. I can't start any games without Retroarch crashing. That is with the new version of Retroarch linked to above.

Flame likes this.
  17. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    I'm mean every other cores work fine on other consoles such and GB/C, NES, SNES, Sega stuff and what not

I'm sure they fix it in the coming days....... hopefully.

Graxer likes this.
  18. coinblock

coinblock GBAtemp Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    But until the issues with the dynarec are fixed it's pretty much unusable on the 3DS, unless you can deal with losing your progress when the emulator randomly crashes.

19. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Yah, sorry about that. I jumped the gun with my first report. :(

Did some more play through with Golden Sun and Pokemon romhacks, and gpSP for the 3DS crashed on those later titles unfortunately. Talk about coincidence the first three games that were tested worked seemingly fine at a glance.

Edited my first post to reflect the mistaken observation.