New Goldeneye game motivated by money

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Sep 3, 2010.

Sep 3, 2010
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

Activision is remaking the Nintendo 64 classic GoldenEye 007 for the Wii, but one man isn't convinced it's coming from a genuine enthusiasm for the game: original GoldenEye designer Martin Hollis. Speaking to Official Nintendo Magazine, Hollis accused Activision of making the remake primarily for the money.

"I imagine it is a business decision isn't it?" Hollis said. "This name is valuable, let's use it. I find it hard to picture Activision's top management being excited about the original and wanting to do it justice. In fact, I find it hard to imagine them being excited about any game. It's my perception that they are trying to be EA, only more so. I think they are doing a fine job at that."

Despite doubts about Activision's motivation, Hollis still offered support for remake developer Eurocom. "I know and like Eurocom. I think they are a good company. I'm confident they have done their very best," Hollis said.

Elsewhere on the Internet, Rare also revealed that for a while, they never expected GoldenEye to become as big as a commodity as it is today in the first place. "When Nintendo asked if we wanted to do it, we said, 'well not really,'" explained Rare studio head Mark Betteridge in the latest issue of Edge (via CVG). "We were trying to build our own IP, and film tie-ins meant a lot of ownership by the film company."

Things got even worse, Betteridge said, when they showed GoldenEye off at E3 for the first time. "We went to E3 at the same time as one of our other games and that was getting loads of attention while GoldenEye just had all these empty stands," he said. "We thought, 'Oh, God, here we go -- this is going to be a disaster. Thank God we've got Banjo.'"

And now, a GoldenEye remake is coming out for the Wii 12 years later. Who would have thought.[/p]

[​IMG] Source

Game time! Name one Activision game NOT motived by money?

2. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    Ca... Oh no that one was for the money. Ehm I dunno, some of the shovelware?

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    That's definitely for the money. Shitty, low quality, quickly produced games that do nothing but suck the money out of gullible consumers.

If you're wondering what the answer is, there is none.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Who can say but it was probably done in the 80's when the company was small and a lot different to what they are now. Back then they were about giving developers respect.

5. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Regardless, it better not suck. Such an injustice could kill Activision forever.

6. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Well this was no surprise to me, I looking at the gameplay and its NOTHING compare to the original Goldeneye. Its like a pusedo version of Call of Duty with just a James Bond plot. Activision has always made games base on money, same as SEGA (Sonic the Shovelhog), Nintendo (Wii like to play shoveware), Atlus, Konami, Square Enix (Kingdom Hearts is a great example), Microsoft (HALO), and Sony!

So to me that's no excuse and the only reason why Banjo is popular because of Nintendo! Let Banjo and Kazooie come out on the Playstation; it will be a lost gaming mascot.

7. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    "New Goldeneye game motivated by money"?

Wait...this is news? To whom? [​IMG]

8. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Not really news.
    All videogames published by a major videogame developer are motivated by money.
    The only developers that don't always focus on money are the indie devs.

9. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    ... that was sarcastic [​IMG]

10. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Uh...duh. Name 1 retail game not motivated by money. Oh wait, it doesn't exist.

11. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    NO, FUCKING, SHIT. The only reason Activision are making this is because they know it'll sell by legacy!

12. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    i bet the guy started complaining coz he knew he wouldn't get a cent of the moolah. i mean really, unless they made it freeware, of course money is gonna be a motivation to make a game, lolz.

13. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    But...what could a large corporation, designed to gather profit, possibly want with money? [​IMG]
    Although I really don't care, as long as the game is fun. [​IMG]

14. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States

I agree as long as its fun then why not?

I am hoping it will be an awesome game, the one on the N64 is still fun [​IMG]

I always wondered why they never redid it for the DS....

15. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Yeah, because obviously companies don't need money at all. They probably didn't want to revive the series/game, because it was a lost cause like they said.

It costs money to produce games, and if the game doesn't sell good like they are thinking it won't, they're just screwing themselves over.

@The mention of Banjo: I'm a big-time Banjo-Kazooie fan, and they're saying that's almost their last hope, but the last game kind of blew...If that's the series they have to rely on, why don't they release more QUALITY Banjo-Kazooie games (Even though the amount of games in the series isn't a lot. Like 5, including Pilot).

16. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    I wont be buying it anyway, wouldn't want Craptivision ruining some childhood memories.

17. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    They are.

18. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Any games company not motivated by money is one going down the tubes soon.

Won't be buying this anyway. I don't really enjoy fps on the Wii. The controls just don't work for me.

19. Mid123

Member Mid123 GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    And in other news,water is wet

20. ShinyLatios

Member ShinyLatios Local "That Guy"

Netherlands
    New Goldeneye game motivated by money?

water is wet?

Mario has a mustache?

My world is crumbling!