NEW GAME: Copyright Enforcement

What percentage of sites do you think will even respond to me?

• 0%

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 25%

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • 50%

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 75%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God DAMN Rydian, you have no life.

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm Rydian, and I write guides.

A metric assload (that's 1000 buttloads) of guides. And something I've been noticing for years is how many websites will copy my guides. Sometimes they leave clear recognition and even a link, but then there's ones like this that not only copy the guide without credit, but actually edit it to insert ads and links to the text itself. That's Not Cool™.

So I figured since basic US copyright info is being so heavily discussed nowadays, I would take advantage of the fact that works like this are actually protected, and start e-mailing and sending in info to sites that rudely copy my guides, asking them to remove them.

Note the qualifier "rudely". I write guides to get my mind off my loneliness and help my self-esteem issues by convincing myself I can be useful to people help people, so if it's on another forum with attribution (preferably a link to the original), I usually won't care assuming they're not inserting ads in it and profiting from it. Also it's a pain in the ass to try get forums to remove stuff...

I'll make a list here of copies I'm not okay with, and any e-mail/support/feedback correspondence. If you find any copies of my guides on another website without attribution, feel free to post so I can send some requests and see what happens!

1. Offending page: http://www.fyygame.com/news/FAQ-of-PS3-jailbreak
    Copy of: http://gbatemp.net/threads/old-ps3-jailbreak-f-a-q.251732/
    fyygame1.png

2. Offending page: http://www.hackyourconsole.com/index.php?_route_=faqs
    Copy of: http://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-dsi-3ds-hacking-f-a-q.278137/
    hackyourconsole1.png

hackyourconsole2.png

3. Offending page: http://www.thetechgame.com/Tutorials/id=1892/how-to-get-your-3-ds-i-online.html
    Copy of: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-your-3-ds-i-online.293109/
    thetechgame1.png

BEST CAPTCHA EVER

thetechgame2.png

thetechgame3.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Granted I do not really care about anything I have ever written but I wonder if it is worth setting up a pgp public key for such incidents.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it. I've been sending them dick pics for years and have heard absolutely nothing.

You could try this "text" thing, but I don't really see what difference that will make.

Reactions: Rydian

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A lot of people are cheap bastards who will not even think about the original author they steal from for a second and most of these guys will probably not give a rats ass about the emails you send them, but I guess some of them might be decent enough to at least add the credits and link.

And epic captcha on the 3rd correspondance, btw.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
my PS3 multiMAN guide is also on many websites and forums, some with links to original some without, some with old and outdated version where users ask for help for something covered in my guide but wasn't present in the version they copied.
I was also labeled as a bad guy (even after spending this much time writing a guide to help other users) because I didn't allowed the guide to be copied on other website in its incomplete form (while I was still writing it), but I prefer working on a single place than having to maintain multiple forums (they didn't understood that?).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Site #3 responded in a helpful and considerate manner.

Granted I do not really care about anything I have ever written but I wonder if it is worth setting up a pgp public key for such incidents.
Rydian, have you thought about incorporating anti-piracy into your guides?
You know, I HAVE considered writing a guide and doing things like making the first letters of all the sentences in a paragraph spell out "By Rydian On GBATemp" or something like that, but I don't really care that much since usually a "Hey, check the timestamps" is enough for them to know it's mine.

This is just a curious experiment.

Time to Google: Rydian Gabtemp and see what I find

1. http://www.brewology.com/?tag=homebrew (This guy added a source)
Yeah that's one of the most common results, but as far as I see he not only links to the source at the bottom, but names it and trims the article to the relevant thing as if it was a news posting, so I've no problem with that one.

my PS3 multiMAN guide is also on many websites and forums, some with links to original some without, some with old and outdated version where users ask for help for something covered in my guide but wasn't present in the version they copied.
I was also labeled as a bad guy (even after spending this much time writing a guide to help other users) because I didn't allowed the guide to be copied on other website in its incomplete form (while I was still writing it), but I prefer working on a single place than having to maintain multiple forums (they didn't understood that?).
Yeah I remember talking about that when your guide was still in-progress. Lots of sites were just hounding after any legit PS3 hacking info they could find in order to attract users to their new domains made for PS3 hacking at the time, lots of them just stopped giving a shit where the content came from as long as they had a copy.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 reasons why i wont write guides.
1) I cant write guides. I suck.
2) I don't know how i would be able to help people if they don't understand my guides
3) Infringement.

I don't know how it feels, so i wont try to understand. God DAMN Rydian, you have no life.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
@Rydian.
Dude you sound like the movie and music industry.
Serious response: Except if they don't even respond nothing happens, and I'm letting sites keep it that at least put a link back, notably different. Also no money is involved.

Non-serious response: I'm not really into anal.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but a small percentage of people will recognize your work ( i do ) and a small percentage of those might even offer you a job where you can start with 100.000K a year so you can blow it on hookers and fast cars.
In a world where information travels faster than light you can't really ask everyone to recognize your work even if you're a big corporation. But if you say "Hi, I'm Sony corporation. You'll find some of the latest songs from X, Y, or Z musician for free download in our site. You can buy the full disc/album in our stores" then your coolness level would rise by 50%. Then you'd be rich and cool like Iron Man.

p0_Adq.png

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
You know, my first thought when reading the title was a first person shooter where you hunt down people who are playing the protagonist's software that they pirated on their Wii.

(Although an ... uhm ... interesting concept it would end up like Wierd Al's "Don't Download this Song". No one would publish it for you.)

Response now that I've seen the real OP
Good job Rydian. Way to to represent the Temp (the source of all true knowledge.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte