New free homebrew entry point. FlashHax

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Fullmetal5, Dec 13, 2017.

1. nino38

nino38 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2018
    Japan
    Of course you have selected E, don't you?

2. eric429

eric429 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2018
    Australia
    I selected E.
    I tried over 7 times, and my friend 5. No ome succeded

3. Fullmetal5
    OP

Fullmetal5 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2017
    United States
    What region and screen type (50Hz vs 60Hz) are you on?

4. eric429

eric429 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2018
    Australia
    E, and 60hz

5. Fullmetal5
    OP

Dec 10, 2017
    United States
    Well that explains some it. If you have 60Hz set use the U option if you have 50Hz set then choose the E option.
    I'm search for a way around this issue but as of right now I haven't found one yet.

EDIT:
    The website has been updated to make this more clear. Sorry about the confusion with it.

Last edited by Fullmetal5, Mar 31, 2018
  6. TR4SHB04T

TR4SHB04T Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2018
    United States
    The same problem from before still happened to me. I'm starting to think it's something with my wii

7. Fullmetal5
    OP

Dec 10, 2017
    United States
    Can you try using the B button and moving the web page around as it loads.
    I've encountered rendering bugs before that make it look like it's stuck as 0 even when it is still downloading. Although that doesn't explain why it isn't working for you.

8. TR4SHB04T

TR4SHB04T Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2018
    United States
    I did what you said but nothing happened for me. There's definitely something wrong with my wii.

9. Fullmetal5
    OP

Dec 10, 2017
    United States
  10. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    Worked for me with "U" on a European console with 60 Hz on the fourth try :)

11. Chadderz

Chadderz Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2009
    England
    Thanks for the updates @Fullmetal5. MrBean35000vr and I were looking into removing the need for the menu options, in particular to save people having to work out if they're 50Hz or not (to lower the barrier to entry even further!). We got a version working today by adding 0x120 bytes of garbage to the end of the 'hax' string in loader.as. The reasoning is that at present the 'hax' strings are spaced 0xc50 apart in memory, so with the padding the strings are now placed 0xd70 apart. This then allows the 50Hz StringBaseAddress to work for all versions because the gap between the 60Hz and the 50Hz addresses is 0x35c00 = 0xd70 * 0x40. As long as at least 0x40 consecutive strings are placed at StringBaseAddress it will work for 60Hz.

As for removing the Japanese menu option, I believe this can be done very simply in JavaScript by detecting the system locale by checking navigator.language.

We've not moved beyond this experiment yet, but I thought I'd share the ideas here so they can be implemented into the official version if you wish.

KiiWii likes this.
  12. Fullmetal5
    OP

Dec 10, 2017
    United States
    Awesome idea, I never looked at the spacing so I never thought to check whether the string could be aligned like that. Since that solved the 50 vs 60Hz issue and jp is already detectable from the user agent like you said I'll go ahead and make this part of the official version and remove the menu as soon as possible.

KiiWii and Chadderz like this.
  13. Fullmetal5
    OP

Dec 10, 2017
    United States
    Unfortunately after finally getting some time to work on this I've been unable to replicate your success with this method. There appear to be a couple allocations made between the two points, even running the same page twice resulted in the hax string being in random locations by the time it got that high.

If you have a working example I would love to see it, maybe I'm just screwing something up. :P

14. Chadderz

Chadderz Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2009
    England
    Interesting. I admit we didn't play with it for very long, so perhaps the consistency is lower than I believed, but we definitely got it to work and saw many repetitions of the string well aligned as expected. I suppose one thing to consider is the fact that you append i to the string in the array, that could mess with the lengths.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a free flash compiler, so we did the edit by editing the flash assembly code directly. I believe our edit would be the equivalent of adding the line 'ROPChain = ROPChain + "\u4141\u4141\u4141\u4141\u4141\u4141";' 24 times after the line 'ROPChain += NumToUniString(PayloadStart);'. It was the simplest way I could think to do it.

15. nino38

nino38 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2018
    Japan
    Can you implement it by 4/15?

16. Jimmy Conan
    This message by Jimmy Conan has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 14, 2018, Reason: necrobump postcount spam.
    Aug 14, 2018
  17. Deleted-394630
    This message by Deleted-394630 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 14, 2018, Reason: quoting a deleted post.
    Aug 14, 2018
  18. xplicid_yt

xplicid_yt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Lincoln

It is nearly 2019, fans of the wii with an unmodified wii will have to start downloading the internet channel from the shopping channel before closure the deadline is January 30th, 2019.
    If you already have this channel then you have no worry, but if you do not then download the channel before the deadline. If missed the deadline then follow this link for more entry points fro the homebrew channel.
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel#Pick_an_exploit

Choose your exploit accordingly to your wii preferences (menu version)

Good Luck

VinLark likes this.
  19. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    ? This really didn't need a bump, and why not just use Letterbomb?

xplicid_yt likes this.
  20. xplicid_yt
    This message by xplicid_yt has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 23, 2018, Reason: unnecessary.
    Aug 23, 2018
  21. Kirbeast

Kirbeast Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    It keeps freezing at 98-100%, I've tried clearing cookies, changing resolution, screen size, unplugging plugging back in, unplugging all controllers and USB devices, retrying the entire process, have tried over 20 times, still nothing.
    Many other people are also having this problem. How do I get this to work? My console's region is U

Last edited by Kirbeast, Aug 29, 2018
    xplicid_yt likes this.
  22. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    @Kirbeast FlashHax also didn't work for me. The only FlashHax thing that was worked for me was the Wiimmfi one.
    If FlashHax doesn't work, then move on to Smash Stack or another game related exploit, or use Letterbomb.

23. Fullmetal5
    OP

Dec 10, 2017
    United States
    Currently the success rate is really low partly due to changes that made it work for all regions. Since the e-shop is closing down soon rather than fixing flashhax I've been working on something else that I hope to release soon. (It works but there is still one hurdle left that I just haven't had time to work on due to classes/work.)
    This new method has a MUCH higher success rate. (It can still fail but much less likely in the tests I've done so far) (Bonus it works the same across all regions without any change at all.)