What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I might sound like I don't know a lot based off the many questions I ask but I am actually not a n00b concerning flash carts and homebrew. I have had a GBAMP for years now and follow the brew scene. Fortunately for GBAMP users the max overload ROM loader was hacked in 2006 to work with GBAMP. I have been using my GBAMP for EVERYTHING concerning homebrew and most ROMs that work on it by now and I have grown a bit attached to my only "flash cart" but I have decided that it is time to move forward since the GBAMP can't load newer ROMs and finally grab a slot 1 card.

So anyway, on to the real question, I am not a newbie and have down extensive research on what is the best choice to pick and must say I am attracted by the AceKard's NAND+SD interface. I was thinking on getting that except no place currently has them. So here is the real question, what is the best card for a "veteran" to upgrade from slot 2 to slot 1? I would like maximum homebrew compatibility and drag and drop ROM playing. I think that Cyclo is best correct? Although the acekard's shell looks freaking kick ass.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I would like maximum homebrew compatibility
With DLDI, almost all slot-1's have perfect compatibility with homebrew. I recommend one with Auto-DLDI to minimize the work to do. (R4/M3 Simply, M3 Real, Cyclo...etc) I recommend the R4 or M3 Real.

QUOTE said:
drag and drop ROM playing
Again, almost all cards have perfect drag and drop. I still recommend the R4/M3 Real.

I think that Cyclo is best correct?
It's really up to you, but, again, I recommend the R4/M3 Real. If SDHC (MicroSDs >2gB) is a must for you, then the M3 Real or Acekard RPG are for you.

James B.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have to have it soon, get a CycloDS, because the Acekard firmware isn't so stable, and as it is open-source, the company that makes em might not expect to have to update the firmware themselves.

The R4 is good, but the cycloDS is the best right now.

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
there realy is no big difference between the slot 1 solutions, they are all great!

R4, M3, G6, Acecard r.p.g., cyclo...

ive had most of them and personally stuck with R4, but was happy with M3 and G6 etc. too!

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips guys. Does the M3 real come with a Phat version DS slot 2 cartridge? I only have a phat. >.> If so then I will get that. If not then I need to find a place that has AceKard in stock. So far NONE have been found. Not even eBay. >.> Anyway, cyclo seems pretty darn good but is the Cyclo team actually customer friendly?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips guys. Does the M3 real come with a Phat version DS slot 2 cartridge? I only have a phat. >.> If so then I will get that. If not then I need to find a place that has AceKard in stock. So far NONE have been found. Not even eBay. >.> Anyway, cyclo seems pretty darn good but is the Cyclo team actually customer friendly?

Nope... There isn't a Phat version of the Slot-2 Cart with the M3Real.

IIRC, the only Flashcart that is sold on eBay is the R4.

~Nero

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dang, so there goes my shot at getting a GBA and NDS player all in one box. Man, that stinks. >.> Ok so it is either a Cyclo+EZ 3in1 or an R4/M3+EZ 3in1. What is the main difference between R4/M3 and Cyclo? Last I heard was that Cyclo had SDHC. Is that the only difference because I don't care about that? >.> I heard R4 has full DL play support and cheats. Correct?

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you want SDHC, get a Cyclo. They can support yp to 32 GB. I somehow doubt that the support of SDHC may not be added to the R4 so soon, if at all, judging by the waiting time of the last kernel update. But the Cyclo is bit more pricey for the better and numerous features, so be aware of that.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want SDHC, get a Cyclo. They can support yp to 32 GB. I somehow doubt that the support of SDHC may not be added to the R4 so soon, if at all, judging by the waiting time of the last kernel update. But the Cyclo is bit more pricey for the better and numerous features, so be aware of that.

There aren't any 32GB MicroSDHC's yet.

Only up to 6 or 8 GB I believe.

~Nero

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want SDHC, get a Cyclo. They can support yp to 32 GB. I somehow doubt that the support of SDHC may not be added to the R4 so soon, if at all, judging by the waiting time of the last kernel update. But the Cyclo is bit more pricey for the better and numerous features, so be aware of that.

There aren't any 32GB MicroSDHC's yet.

Only up to 6 or 8 GB I believe.

~Nero

Physical limitations.
wink.gif

The R4 team advertised up to 4GB support. Only because 4GB is the max capacity of a regular microSD card.
There ARE non-SDHC 4GB microSD cards, but they stopped selling them when the SDHC standard was finalized (or something like that).

I'd recommend getting the Cyclo. It's the best (From what I've heard) but it's hard to find one in stock.
The R4 is great too, but no SDHC or Wii Connectivity (can Cyclo do that?)

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4 is on its way out right now. It's getting left behind with newer flashcarts like the Acekard RPG and the M3 DS Real. I suggest the Acekard as it is in the same price range as the CycloDS AND it has 1GB of built-in NAND memory with a microSDHC compatible slot as well. You can get the Acekard at Bamboo gaming. The only real issue with the Acekard is a current lack of features, but you can expect all of those to come soon. The CycloDS is currently one of the best supported carts, but it's as rare, if not more rare, than the Acekard.

EDIT:BTW, I did the exact same thing. I had my GBAMP for a REALLY long time. I got it when the M3 perfect was just starting to get popular. I didn't know about the M3 yet, so I was attracted to the GBAMP's potential and price. Maximum Overload was a God-send when I began to become envious of the new Slot1 solutions. My first Slot1 was an R4, but since that got stolen I'm getting an Acekard RPG.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EDIT:BTW, I did the exact same thing. I had my GBAMP for a REALLY long time. I got it when the M3 perfect was just starting to get popular. I didn't know about the M3 yet, so I was attracted to the GBAMP's potential and price. Maximum Overload was a God-send when I began to become envious of the new Slot1 solutions. My first Slot1 was an R4, but since that got stolen I'm getting an Acekard RPG.
WOW.
ohmy.gif
EXACTLY the same here.
cool.gif
Except I still have my GBAMP and nothing else while you are getting an AceKard. I don't think cyclo is for me. At least not yet after seeing this thread:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=67707

So anyway. I was thinking the same thing as you too! I wanted to get an AceKard but they are out of stock right now.
cry.gif
Does anywhere else sell acekard?

jaygee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh well i don't have the gba expansion pack.. it was cheaper to not get it. you don't have to use that though... there are plenty of GBA flash carts out there..

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wanted to get an AceKard but they are out of stock right now. Does anywhere else sell acekard?

These guys still have Acekards in stock, if you don't mind ordering from Europe. And their shipping fees. I was thinking about getting one there, but 13 Euros to ship from Sweden to Germany is just way too much.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might sound like I don't know a lot based off the many questions I ask but I am actually not a n00b concerning flash carts and homebrew. I have had a GBAMP for years now and follow the brew scene. Fortunately for GBAMP users the max overload ROM loader was hacked in 2006 to work with GBAMP. I have been using my GBAMP for EVERYTHING concerning homebrew and most ROMs that work on it by now and I have grown a bit attached to my only "flash cart" but I have decided that it is time to move forward since the GBAMP can't load newer ROMs and finally grab a slot 1 card.

So anyway, on to the real question, I am not a newbie and have down extensive research on what is the best choice to pick and must say I am attracted by the AceKard's NAND+SD interface. I was thinking on getting that except no place currently has them. So here is the real question, what is the best card for a "veteran" to upgrade from slot 2 to slot 1? I would like maximum homebrew compatibility and drag and drop ROM playing. I think that Cyclo is best correct? Although the acekard's shell looks freaking kick ass.
Sorry to butt in late, but if I were you and could hold off for a while, I'd let the christmas rush go by and see what shakes out in the slot-1 card world.

I AM new to the DS world, just got one about 3w ago, and decided to order a Cyclo DS Evolution (stil waiting for my $^&*^#*&%*&!!! order from 3-6 day mod-chip which really must mean 3-6w!!) and have been following the info on the Evos more closely since then. They seem to havehad, and are still having alot of faulty units, which recently look like crappy shell design or a supplier that is providing poor quality housings. (See thread in CycloDS subforum.) So, I'd wait and see what happens here, along with how they respond to Supercard.

M3 DS Real SOUND nice, esp if you want the perfect combo for GBA functionality, but seem a little on the newish side to jump in yet, so again I'd wait and see on these. [EDIT] I noticed that later you mention that you have a phat, in which case you could get the lone M3 DS Real, and a GBA size EZFV 3in1 for slot-2... same for any of the other options[/EDIT]

Supercard DS ONE SDHC, just got a HUGE boost by adding a bunch of new features including realtime saves, but I hadn't really looked at them BEFORE that came out the other day, so I can't say much and it's still, likely, anot her wait-and-see situation.

There's a new TTDS card coming out, but that's even newer than the M3 DS Real's and I've seen next to nothing on them other than the neoflash group apparently licensed the design and are also selling them under their own neoflash brand.

I've read rumours of an R4 DS SDHC card on various forums, but nothing substantial yet. [EDIT]If it's like the M3 DS Simply/R4 DS deal, the R4 SDHC would likely be a rebadged M3 DS Real...[/EDIT]

If you don't care about SDHC uSDs, then you could look at the older established line R4DS and EZFV(probably not a good one, as it's feature set is fairly poor compared to most other slot-1 card nowadays).

So, if it were me, and I was like and had something that could do well enough to hold me off for a month or so I'd just sit tight and see what happened in the slot-1 world over the next month or two.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans