Hacking New Firmware update - How is Nintendo doing this?

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Hi,
Newly installed games are refusing to launch without the system update (9.0 I think). Funny thing is that some of these games run fine on lower firmware. The Switch has recently been online and could have grabbed the update, so my question is: did Nintendo put a feature in fw 8.1.0 to force the update for any newly installed game? How do I get rid of this nag before someone accidentally updates it?

Reactions: NoNAND

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Holding vol up vol down and power to get to reset the options should.clear the file if downloaded but may not clear nag . If.you can clear file and then keep offline at least you can avoid more risk. Shoot your sisters cousins uncles aunts and brothers. Do it now .

Reactions: Zumoly

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
pretty sure this has been a feature for a while.
if you get the update, it will try to make you update.
though i think it's more naggy when its moving from like 7>8 and 8>9.

as suggested, boot into recovery mode by first booting into hekate.
then, as you select 'boot cfw', press and hold both volume buttons.
you should eventually end up in a recovery mode (might be called maintenance mode actually)

here, make sure not to press anything. just hold power to get out again. after that, update data should be gone.
keep system offline, potentially enable 90dns (careful, you need to enable it for both wireless and lan connections separately if you use a network adapter

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Reactions: Zumoly

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked. version 9.0 isn't out as of yet. the one thing I hate about the way the switch nags you is that it defaults on update software I think, so if you're returning from sleep mode, you could lose progress by selecting that option if you're not paying attention.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most ppl usually don't realize if they install new updates/DLC they could require a new firmware update preventing the said game to launch when it could without them. "If" you are playing on a lower firmware then thats where the problem lies. You'll need to find ways to patch new content to get them to work on lower firmware's like nscbuilder. What I don't understand is how are you having this problem if you have the latest firmware to go online for updates? You should be able to play any new content since 9.0 isn't out yet.

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: Confused

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
That feature has been around a long time.
The update contains a flag about which firmware is required.
The original update mechanism will force you to update to firmware in order to get an update.
But with pirates switches, there is no such check and you'll get that message after applying the update.

Most games do indeed work without updating but updating the firmware isn't much of a big deal once you get used to it.
Don't forget the latest sigpatches though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free