Gaming New firmware update adds DPII sound support for vWii

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in order to get Pro Logic II sound in vWii is there a new setting you have to change? (the wii let you select stereo or surround in the settings)

Do you have to use the old wii cables that put out left and right audio channels or can you get it through HDMI? You can use both regular and HDMI cables at the same time now right?

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
So in order to get Pro Logic II sound in vWii is there a new setting you have to change? (the wii let you select stereo or surround in the settings)
No, you just need set the sound mode to surround in Wii U mode, vWii will use the same settings.

Do you have to use the old wii cables that put out left and right audio channels or can you get it through HDMI? You can use both regular and HDMI cables at the same time now right?
Now we have the following options for audio:

No HDMI setup
Option 1: If your TV support PCM output and have optical audio output you are good, you will get DPII/PCM signals, no receiver needed, just connect the optical to whatever audio system you have, you still need a 5.1 audio system with optical input.

Option 2: Now we can use HDMI cable for image and component/composite (red/white) for sound, both at the same time, it will give you DPII output, not sure if PCM can transfer with this setting though, you still need a 5.1 audio system with RCA input (red/white plugs).

HDMI setup
You can get DPII or PCM sound formats through HDMI, but you need a receiver with at least 1 HDMI out / 1 HDMI in, in order to decode those formats, Wii U transfer the sound to your receiver, and the receiver transfer the image to your TV. It's the best audio setup available regards audio quality, but is the most expensive.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought nearly all TV's did not support PCM. I currently use option 1- HDMI to TV and TV has optical out to sound system.

The problem with that however is if I set the Wii U setting to surround it screws up the sound in Wii U games. Because of that I keep it set to stereo and a separate vWii surround setting would be better.

Option 2 is also going to have this problem I think.....you will have to be changing your sound settings whenever you want surround sound in Wii mode.

My sound system is pretty old but I just got a deal on a Logitech Z5500 system for $70...still no HDMI input on it though....

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I updated my TV and save me from buying a receiver, my Samsung outputs PCM, it was a nice bonus for me, mine is UNF325000, serie 5, it's not the latest model.

I can confirm that the rear speakers works for me, Wii/GCN DPII games too, it's easily noticeable in Rogue Leader sound check, I also didn't know that TV could output PCM through optical, but this model does, in fact it leave you choose the output signal: PCM/Dolby Digital/DTS Neo 2:5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool