New firmware coming out soon... with Youtube, Netflix support

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Nincompoopdo, Jun 12, 2018.

1. rad.i.kal

rad.i.kal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2008
    United States
    the web
    I love my switch, just saying, what is the major point of having it do netflix, docked, i have a PC not docked, i don't watch netflix.

Again my point is valid, if it is your only device, maybe it is a good idea, but if not i have plenty of things that have netflix on them and do not need another

2. coppertj

coppertj Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2017
    United States
    Netflix isn't google. google vs amazon drama is a lot deeper than u make it out to be on here. It's about companies pissed off at each other about making the same products and going at lengths to have dishonest ad campaign, see the Alexa curses videos and Alexa CIA/FBI videos which were all pushed to the front of YouTube for the first month+ it was out. How does amazon respond? Remove ALL google products from amazon, becides google's juicer, to make google look bad. so they're not helping each other. Same with Apple because they have no choice if they do/don't play along they sink a little bit (example: Google maps with Apple car play that would be horrible for Apple to allow not only google maps but you open the door to Waze which is also google owned making their 3 map apps now). Netflix is a generic streaming platform the only thing in their way is Nintendo being scared to release anything internet related before their "online phone service" is out.
    (Edit if you really wanna get meta/deeper look up rainway status on switch- oh, no results found... because Nintendo DOESNT WANT A LOT OF ONLINE APPS BEFORE 2019)

TL;DR comparing Netflix/Nintendo to google vs amazon is not the same because google and amazon are trying to fight for a monopoly on everything they can.

Last edited by coppertj, Jun 13, 2018
  3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    why not, just because it isn't "necessary" doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, I know it would be nice to have the option, sometimes I want to watch something while someone else is using the TV, sure I could use my phone but screen sizes is a little small, or an ipad (but sometimes my daughter is playing on it), but wouldn't it be nice if you could just grab whatever was nearest

personally I could see me opting to fire up the switch to stick something on Netflix rather than the built in app on the tv just so I could make sure I don't get side tracked when I have to go do something i.e make dinner/ go the toilet etc....sure I could turn it off and grab my phone, log in etc, but just grabbing the switch and having it continue exactly where I was would be mighty handy, sure i have plenty of devices with Netflix capabilities, but I would still find the switch an attractive device for watching Netflix on for the same reason as I like it for gaming, which is the seamless docked/undocked mode, maybe I just lazy and have a poor attention span, but once I go do something else I often have trouble getting back into something or simply don't get around to it

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jun 13, 2018
    rad.i.kal likes this.
  4. Yami Anubis ZX

Yami Anubis ZX GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2016
    United States
    Technically it's only valid for you but for many people on the go, it's perfect to have an all in one system like Switch, I understand where you are coming from, your basically saying "well gee I already have this, that and the other on other devices, don't need it on the Nintendo Switch"

Thank you very much for the ME, ME, ME, ME, WHAT ABOUT ME, I HAVE THIS, THAT AND THE OTHER, WHO CARES ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE, WAH! It was very insightful and inspiring but this is not for you, this is for a wider audience.

5. Nincompoopdo
    OP

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Sadly there won't be any Netflix or Youtube apps for Switch anytime soon.

From Nintendo:

“When we launched the Switch, we were very clear we wanted to position the device as a game-playing device. We’ve done that, and so you’ve seen Hulu for example come on to the platform. In terms of other services, the conversations are on-going. We’ve got nothing to announce right now. But certainly those opportunities will come in due time.”

If you need to get things done, you have to do it yourself. I'm sure some devs are already making a homebrew video app.

6. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    You missed the occulus go part with HSBS 3d movies . So you can elbow innocent passengers in the face on the plane sitting next to you with all the whhhoooaaaaa Whhhoooooo OMG moments . Fuck imagine watching aircrash investigation in 3d on a flight . Fap Fap.

Nintendo didn't drop the ball , they don't know what a ball is .

7. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Yet another shit thread. This place is becoming a cesspool.

8. naamloosNL

naamloosNL Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2016
    Netherlands
    Pretty Lady Town ..( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Gotta be able to watch stranger things while taking a shit

9. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2015
    United States
    OMG thanks, cause I don't have 50 other streaming devices!

10. naamloosNL

naamloosNL Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2016
    Netherlands
    Though you can't take along your tv to watch stranger things whilst shitting

11. rad.i.kal

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2008
    United States
    the web
    sounds like Nintendo AGREES WITH ME!

12. Yami Anubis ZX

Mar 20, 2016
    United States
    Every thread is a shit thread and oh yeah, don't believe everything Nintendo puts into there PR, if you know anything at all about all 3 of the console makers, you would understand there way of misdirection, Nintendo does it all the time, Switch being just a game device is lie, don't believe there lies, they did this when announcing the DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL, 3DSXL, Wii U, so on and so forth.

13. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    where the source?

14. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2015
    United States
    No, but I can take along any of my other 3 phones, tablet or PS Vita. That's just off the top of my head.. I'm sure I've something else around here. It's great to have options, I guess. I just don't see it as groundbreaking news or anything. Cheers!

15. Yami Anubis ZX

Mar 20, 2016
    United States
    Or its what's known as PR speak, companies do it all the time to lie to consumers, Nintendo fans have been living with Nintendo doing this for a very long time, you will learn in due time

16. naamloosNL

naamloosNL Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2016
    Netherlands
    too much effort, just whip that switch out and it'll continue playing right away, and you can even watch on the way to the shitter

17. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2015
    United States
    How much time are you spending on the toilet, that this is even a concern? Perhaps you should look at your diet or seek medical attention. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, but I see similar comments come up a lot, and can't help but think.. half the population must be 'plugged up' with pizza rolls.

18. naamloosNL

naamloosNL Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2016
    Netherlands
    Oh right I'm also just shitposting

19. rad.i.kal

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2008
    United States
    the web
    Every thread is haha, especially since we get a ton of folks coming in expecting a CFW that isn't here cause of a rumored date.

is since 1986 long enough, i mean i did get an NES in 86, so... you are right, i just need to wait longer.

Last edited by rad.i.kal, Jun 14, 2018 at 3:56 PM
  20. Mirage1990

Mirage1990 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2018
    Germany
    Thats what the switch is made for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice