Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i12aK8j.jpg

And just as things were looking their bleakest for the Wii U, Tecmo lens a hand.

Tecmo Koei and Nintendo are working together on the next entry in the horror adventure series Fatal Frame for Wii U, the duo announced.

A title and release date for the project have not been announced.
:arrow:Gematsu
[prebreak]Continue Reading[/prebreak]
The cavalry's arrived... late, sure, but, uh, better that than never?

The Wii U is in sore need of third party support, so this is a pleasant surprise, though the choice of franchise is a bit odd. The last original Fatal Frame came out 6 years ago and never made it out of Japan. An exclusive is an exclusive, but one has to wonder how much of a draw this really will be. Then again, this is supposed to coincide with a big media push (there's a film, a novel, and a comic in various stages of production), so maybe they're hoping that'll change.

In any case, the game's likely very far from release. Fatal Frame fans left in the dark will just have to let things develop.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
The last Fatal Frame came out 6 years ago and never made it out of Japan.​

Eh? They released a remake for the second game for the Wii in 2012, that was even localized by Nintendo of Europe as Project Zero 2 Wii Edition (that's the European name used by Tecmo Koei for the whole franchise). Besides that, NoA (whom you can thank for the lack of US releases for both Wii games) did in fact release a spin-off for the 3DS but I can understand why people would like to pretend that shitty 3D tech demo doesn't exist.
It's hardly a dormant franchise.
And since it's Nintendo-published and not named Zelda/Mother/Super Smash Bros, the fact that they made an announcement means it's not that far away.

Besides, a fan-translation exists for the fourth game.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This IS good news. :D

GHANMI beat me to the comment, but it would be a good choice even if the last game was from six years ago (I mean...it's not like kid icarus or punch-out was any newer when they got a new game).

The exclusivity is nice. Not because I dislike the other consoles but because it means the focus can actually be on using that other controller. And zombiu already proved that horror+double screen=win. :D

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Although the Wii U desperately needs exclusive third party content, this isn't exactly the right type. This will only appeal to a very niche audience within the Nintendo fan base, at least outside of Japan, provided the game makes it outside of Japan. Despite past decisions, we do have to recognize that, based on the Wii U's performance, this might not be deemed as being worth the cost to localize.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's about god-damn motherfucking time a developer makes a camera-based game on the Wii U, the 3DS would also be perfect. Just imagine a modern Pokemon Snap! :D

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Although the Wii U desperately needs exclusive third party content, this isn't exactly the right type. This will only appeal to a very niche audience within the Nintendo fan base, at least outside of Japan, provided the game makes it outside of Japan. Despite past decisions, we do have to recognize that, based on the Wii U's performance, this might not be deemed as being worth the cost to localize.

Beggars can't be choosers.
This kind of reasoning is exactly what doomed the Turbografx-16 and the Sega Saturn, when RPGs were considered a niche genre. Also, to an extent, the PSP: it was obvious that western developers wouldn't support the thing any more, but refusing to localize software (even first-party software) post-2010 effectively killed the console in the West and DIDN'T solve the problem with the "right third-party support" (aka Western third-parties) magically popping out of thin air.
Not localizing this (or that Yakuza compilation, or Dragon Quest X) will only aggravate the situation of the anemic library.

While Fatal Frame IV didn't make it out, they did remake Fatal Frame II afterwards and localized that, so it's certainly not out of the picture.

A Fatal Frame IV localization was indeed announced (for both US and Europe/Australia) and in the works, but NoA then asked Tecmo Koei to fix a lot of bugs as a condition or else they won't be publishing it. It was then cancelled. NoE wised better and handled the Wii remake by themselves (alongside Inazuma Eleven Strikers) since NoA was busy watching the Wii sink.But by then Iwata took over and NoA did localize the 3DS spinoff, so the state of affairs might have changed since.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Tbh, not really interested. I'd rather have another PlatinumGames exclusive than Tecmo.

Well at least it's not another shitty Dynasty Warriors (drats! Zelda: Dynasty Warriors is in the making).

Reactions: MegaBassBX

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hated ffIV (the controls were clunky and horrid) so i will be skipping this one too. i can see what they will be going to do with this one they'll have you standing up spinning around the room using your gamepad as a camera...no thanks

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Great news. With a good gamepad support the game would fit perfect on the wii u. Hopefully it will be released outside of japan.
This is the third party support I want to see for the Wii U. Getting a PS4 and owning a PC and PS3 I don't care for multiplats on the wii u. Besides the Nintendo exclusives such games make me happy owning a Wii U. I don't need an exclusive game of a genre like FPS. There are enough games of this kind on the other platforms.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This would be like, the first Wii U game that uses the Gamepad as a main game mechanic correctly. Pls Nintendo don't shoot yourself in the knee again by not localizing it.

Reactions: NahuelDS

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Great news. With a good gamepad support the game would fit perfect on the wii u. Hopefully it will be released outside of japan.
This is the third party support I want to see for the Wii U. Getting a PS4 and owning a PC and PS3 I don't care for multiplats on the wii u. Besides the Nintendo exclusives such games make me happy owning a Wii U. I don't need an exclusive game of a genre like FPS. There are enough games of this kind on the other platforms.

I too just buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo exclusive games not multiplatforms and that's what it does best. If I wanted to play multiplatforms I'd go for PS4.

PhillipDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
YES!!! This makes me even happier that I bought a Wii U! Even if it comes out Q4 2015 I don't care, I want to play this! I just hope it gets localized, not because of the language, but because of the freaking region block ¬¬!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool