New EZ-Flash IV, cannot reset to menu

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Hanafuda, May 30, 2014.

1. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Just received an EZ_Flash IV today, as an upgrade to my old EFA Linker cart. It is a new model EZ-Flash IV, so it's supposed to be loaded with the 1.74 FW found here. Discussed here.

Instead of that, I loaded pintcat's Clearlooks 5, found here, which is supposed to incorporate pintcat's clearlooks skin plus some other tweaks, but still built on the 1.74 FW for the new production EZ-IV's.

Result ... works beautifully, but the reset key does not work. At all. I can soft-rest in-game using START+SEL+A+B, but that's native to most GBA games. But I am being very careful to patch the games with reset enabled in the EZIV client, and I get no result whatsoever when I try to do a reset to menu in any game I've loaded.

Since I thought it could be due to pintcat's skinned FW version, I went back to the EZ4_20140306 FW with good ol' Darth Vader, and got the same result. Games run and save (so far) just fine, but no reset to menu. Period.

Also, when I try to change the reset hotkey in the EZ Client, it crashes every time.

Any help? Suggestions? Thanks.

2. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    Where did you get your cart?

3. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

realhotstuff. i have no concerns about the cart itself. been purchasing from rhs for years.

EDIT: And, I may have solved the problem. I found an older version of the EZ Client, ver 20060906, and patched a couple games with that instead of the version that is packed in with the 1.74 FW. The EZ-IV is still loaded with pintcat's Clearlooks 5 / 1.74 FW, I'm just using this older version of the patching client. And, reset to menu now works, I can customize the hotkey for it if I like, and saves appear to work including for games written to the NOR (all I've tested so far is the Mother 3 translation, but it did retain the save). Keeping my fingers crossed, but so far so good.

If I run into any problems I'll update.