New English Chrono Trigger DS videos

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Oct 4, 2008.

Oct 4, 2008
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The US site of Chrono Trigger DS updated their website to include the many videos added to the Japanese site several weeks ago. The only difference is that they are in English now and include some new snippets on the new English script! The script is quite faithful so far. But the biggest change is that Frog has ditched his Old English accent and now speaks normally!

Videos can be found here:
    http://na.square-enix.com/ctds/

On Frog's personality:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Wrapped in spoilers because it has important plot details.

Anyways, new videos for characters:

Frog-

Ayla-

Robo-

Magus-

New videos showcasing time periods:

12,000 BC-

65,000,000 BC-

2300 AD-

2. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Ah, excellent. Some fans may be bothered by this choice, as it's less nostalgic. But there are certain factors at play. He spoke regularly in the Japanese version. He spoke regularly in his human form in the English version. And finally, no one else in his time speaks ye olde English. One of two things were to happen, they were either going to do this or make everyone in that time speak the way he does. Clearly they chose the direct translation route.

3. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    WHHHHATTT!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!! Frog's use of olde English was one of the highlights of the SNES version. It was even better that he was the only one to do so.

4. jos7960

Member jos7960 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Yeah the old English accent was cool. But after i read Ace Gunmans comment they still made the right choice. If everybody in that time would speak with that accent that would be annoying.

5. granville
    OP

United States
    The fact that he was the only one in his age to do so made it even more stupid. And none of his accent is even the way the real accent is supposed to sound.

He doesn't speak like that when he is "normal" either. That made people believe it was the frog spell that made him speak like that.

I'm all for a badass transformed character that has the balls to say something like:

"Nothing's going anywhere if you don't have a guy who's good with a sword, right?"

I don't know what he'll be like in the DS port, but that's how it was in the original game.

And in other news, I've finally decided to actually USE my Youtube account. I'm uploading the videos now to my channel and will post them in my top post when they are added. [​IMG]

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It's lazy translation then. They should make everyone of that era speak in olde English. Everyone in Ayla's timeline spoke the way she did. The fact that he was the only person to speak olde English made him more chivalrous, someone who actually held close to the knight's code.

7. granville
    OP

United States
    Well, I can respect and understand that you preferred the old version better. But Frog was never intended to sound the way he did in English. That was Woosley's way of saying "I put the Z in the word translation".

8. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    thanks grangran!
    well, old english or not, hes still frog!

9. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States

I remember when they announced the PSX version and I got all crazed because they added some movies. I did like their monster / item / skill / etc catalog system they had (Like all the other PSX re releases)...I hope they include that somehow in this release.

10. granville
    OP

United States
    There's one last empty slot on the Worlds video page. I wonder what they plan on using it for...... Maybe the End of Time. I doubt they'd dedicate a whole video to 1999. That empty slot is present on both the US and Japanese site.

11. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    New exclusive DS Time Period? It would be GREAT [​IMG]

12. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    What time period though? I think they have already done the important ones. Did they make an underwater world? 0_0

13. Maverick_z

Member Maverick_z When did i join again??

Canada
    Looks awesome. Can't wait for CT to come out