New DVD drive or USB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Red Ire Lap, Apr 7, 2010.

Apr 7, 2010
  1. Red Ire Lap
    OP

Newcomer Red Ire Lap Advanced Member

Canada
    As of recently my Wii's disk drive has been making a lot of noise, giving me rediculous load times as well as the occasional "Unable to read game disk, please consult game manual" or something to that extent. I'm pretty certain it's on its last legs and was wondering is there a simple solution to fix a problem like this (like a disassembly with some sort of disk clean)? I would like to know if that isn't an option, which would be the best solution: replacing the drive, or buying an external HD. Any opinions weighing the pros and cons of both would really help.

2. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    External harddrive.

Pros:
    Most likely its cheaper and hell alot faster than a DVD.

Cons:
    Incompabilty with some games

3. Red Ire Lap
    OP

Canada
    Ah, thank you for the quick answer. Any specific brand name to stick with when looking for hard drives like the SD cards?

4. TheApatheticOne

Newcomer TheApatheticOne Member

United States
    Nothing to really add, but I had a question as well. If I have a 750 GB external harddrive that Im wanting to use with the Wii, but its a My Book already formatted to NTFS, is there anything I can do to it to get it compatible with the Wii/loaders/homebrew stuff? Any way I can convert it backwards to FAT32 format? Can I format it to the WBFS format to get it to work?

I apologize if these are extremely dumb questions, but Im very "not in the know" regarding all this and am just getting my feet wet.

5. Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer Fear_the_Tubes Advanced Member

United States
    You can use gparted to re-format the drive to FAT32, this will erase all data currently stored on the HDD so back up anything important before hand. I do not recommend using WBFS because it complicates things and becomes a pain to deal with after you've added many games to the partition. FAT32 works with all homebrew that supports storing data on the HDD and has no issues holding all your Wii games..even the ones larger than 4gb.

6. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States

Well you have a couple choices. You can reformat the whole thing in Windows (probably other OSs too), to FAT32, or use one of the many WBFS tools to format to WBFS (obviously). You can get a partition program to make a new partition with the empty space left on your drive. A partition is sort of like adding an extra drive to one physical hard drive disk, so you can keep your NTFS formatted information and add a new section formatted as FAT32 or WBFS (for WBFS, you have to partition a FAT32, then use a WBFS manager on that).

Some loaders support NTFS as well, but I don't think as much other homebrew has the same compatibility. If you don't mind using your SD card for homebrew, and your harddrive for loading you won't have to do anything but add a "wbfs" folder to the root!

7. Red Ire Lap
    OP

Canada
    I think I'm going to go with the HDD then. It seems I would be able to get a lot more out of it being faster and more versatile. Being an old Wii, and giving it a rudimentary cleaning with little avail I feel I would need to replace/switch to HDD anyways in the long run. Plus I assume the HDD will still be able to be used for other thing other than games on the Wii, so I'll be able to justify the expenditure somehow lol.

It did surprise me tp hear that the HDD is faster than disk loading. That in itself is a good change from my already dying drive.

Compatibility issues usually have solutions of some sort, especially giving the time and effort. I have faith in the Wii softmod community that if it's worth playing, there will be a way to play it.

Thanks again for the answers.

8. Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer Fear_the_Tubes Advanced Member

United States
    The few games that I have issues with on usb loaders all work with SNEEK+DI so far. With how fast things are moving SNEEK+DI is just going to get easier and easier to use and set-up in the future so soon we should have 100% compatibility instead of 99%. [​IMG]

You won't regret the HDD, best purchase I've made for my Wii in the four years that I've owned it.