New DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by mehmed, May 2, 2007.

May 2, 2007

New DVD Burner by mehmed at 5:01 PM (1,038 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. mehmed
    OP

Newcomer mehmed Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I have some problems with burning games. I used + and - dvd's. I used 4 brand's like verbatim, philips,maxell and platinum. I keep getting problems. Some do work some don't. Some work for a while, like Godfather, and then not any more. So my question is which brand dvd burner sould i buy. I will use it to burn movies and wii backups.

My burner that i use is a lg 4160B. It was in my pc when i bougt it 2 and a half year ago.

2. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Sorry that I can't really help you out very much, but what software are you using to do your burning?

I should be getting my Wiikey installed this weekend, and I'll know then if the backups that I've made with my brand spankin' new Sony drive are working out for me.

3. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Nothing should be wrong with your drive. It could be the media your using. Do you burn with Nero and are all the files in .ISO format?

4. mehmed
    OP

Netherlands
    i am using verbatim dvd-16x. And i am using the latest nero. i am burning iso. nero gives me 2 speeds how i can burn. 4x or 8x.I burne with 8 speed. i have a lot of philips 16x dvd+ dre's. non of them work anymore. maxel 16xdvd+ works. And my burner doesn't burn platinum brand.

5. mehmed
    OP

Netherlands
    Ok, I want to buy one of the following burners today. Which sall i get? I am thinking about a:

-Plextor PX-800A
    -Lite-On LH-20A1H
    -LG GSA-H55N
    -NEC AD-7173A

Ok i want to buy one of these or burning wii .iso ang movie .iso

6. chadders

Member chadders GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    just search for imgburn on google, its free and that should do you!

7. theADDict

Member theADDict GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

I have tried Lite-On, plextor, and NEC burners, but always return to pioneer.
    Unbeatable for value, reliability, and custom firmwares.
    Have you considered the Pioneer DVR-112 ?

8. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    mehmed - Have you tried updating the firmware on your DVD writer recently? The leading code for media change and by updating the firmware it keeps the drive up to date.

If you still don't have much luck burning it may just be that the drive is starting to wear out... they don't last forever.

If you do buy a new drive definately get a Pioneer 111 or the latest version the 112, they are a tiny bit more expensive than another brand of drive but Pioneer make the best burners on the market buy a long shot.

[​IMG]

9. mehmed
    OP

Netherlands
    Hmmm, I have the latest firmware for my burner. Version 306 I think. I allways had problems with Platinum. I don't know why. I use latest Nero, Clonecd, Clonedvd and image burn. I didn't mention because the pioneer is a older model thand the others? I read some sites. The one says that the plextor is the best, the other the nec and some say lg and nec. So i am a bit confused. Money is not such a big problem. The plextor that i mentioned is the most expensive in the list above.

10. Avenger

Member Avenger GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I would reccommend a Pioneer burner - also, try burning at 4x or 8x, no higher. DVD-R tends to read better as well.

11. mehmed
    OP

Netherlands
    I bought a nec 7170. They came with the pioneer als the best tested. I couldn't fina a pioneer in a shop so i bouht a nec. Everything seems fine now.

12. Avenger

Member Avenger GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Glad to hear, it is amazing how many problems are resolved by using a decent burner - and frustrating for users who do not realize their burners cannot burn working discs!