Hacking New DSTwo arrived, disappointed in GBA emulator

Gintoki Sakata

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My DStwo arrived yesterday and after testing the GBA emulator I have to say that I expected a bit more. Most games don't run without sound issues with full speed. You can't choose the touchscreen as the game screen, the game_config.txt doesn't seem to have any effect to the performance and the emulator is closed source although it's based on the work of Exophase's gpSP emulator. To my surprise the SNES emulator (CATSFC to be more specific) worked better for me than his GBA fellow.

I understand that the source code of the SNES emulator is available, but I don't get why not the GBA emulator as well? Does supercard have a problem releasing the source?

Anyway, since the emulator is based on gpSP (which source is available), why not make an own open source port? Here are quite a few talented coders around if I'm not mistaken, who perhaps are willing to work on a port? (CATGBA, anyone? :P)

D

Deleted-236924

Set Frameskip to Auto, Frameskip level to 1.
Set CPU frequence to 4.

And believe me, game_config.txt fixes a lot of games.
Maybe the games you are playing simply don't need a game_config fix.

(By the way, buying a DSTwo to play GBA games and expecting games to run at 100% without any issues is foolish, IMO.)

Gintoki Sakata

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't have to tell me that I should play with the options, really (I already know and did that).

(By the way, buying a DSTwo to play GBA games and expecting games to run at 100% without any issues is foolish, IMO.)

Yeah, it's also foolish when someone assumes that one bought a DStwo only to play GBA games when the one only posted his own experience about a single component of the dstwo.

Anyway, I know the GBA emu needs a lot improvement which the community can't provide, that's why I suggested an own open source port independent of team supercard.

Debbie Gonzales

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be using v1.21 of the emulator so game_config.txt works... and it's unknown why the Supercard team didn't release the source for NDSGBA, but since it's based off of the PSP emulator, they're legally required to by the GPL. Whenever it's asked on their forums, they simply sweep it under the rug.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only reason there is no better emulator is because emulator's like the ones here are made by people like you and me. Supercard is a company with many people. Besides if someone did make a emulator it would only be updated once a year or the person would abandon it(long piece of info to write on a blackberry).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You should be using v1.21 of the emulator so game_config.txt works... and it's unknown why the Supercard team didn't release the source for NDSGBA, but since it's based off of the PSP emulator, they're legally required to by the GPL. Whenever it's asked on their forums, they simply sweep it under the rug.
No, what I've heard is that gpSP and the GBA emulator for the DS both share a common base, one is not based on the other.

D

Deleted-236924

You don't have to tell me that I should play with the options, really (I already know and did that).

Yeah, it's also foolish when someone assumes that one bought a DStwo only to play GBA games when the one only posted his own experience about a single component of the dstwo.

Anyway, I know the GBA emu needs a lot improvement which the community can't provide, that's why I suggested an own open source port independent of team supercard.
Yeah, you're right. I should rephrase that.Buying a DSTwo and expecting the GBA emulator to work great is a bit of a foolish move, IMO.Anyway... If games don't run well enough with the settings I posted, considering this is the DSTwo, then your expectations are way too high.(Also, you can't expect me to know you already tried editing the settings if you never mentionned doing that in the first place.)

Themanhunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All but 2 of my GBA games work flawlessly on it. The other 2 have frame issues that can't be fixed by increasing CPU frequency, and the Supercard team are not supporting it any more :(

Rand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've actually been quite a bit happier with the GBA emulator then I expected, the emulator's UI leaves something to be desired and it's decidedly lacking in options... but the actual games I've tried have all run flawlessly for me.
The SNES emulator (CATSFC) I've had quite a bit more problems with... it's "adequate" but barely so.

Splodge_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've actually been quite a bit happier with the GBA emulator then I expected, the emulator's UI leaves something to be desired and it's decidedly lacking in options... but the actual games I've tried have all run flawlessly for me.
The SNES emulator (CATSFC) I've had quite a bit more problems with... it's "adequate" but barely so.

Agreed. I was actually surprised how well some games worked. A lot of games are completely flawless ("Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland", "Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga" in particular) while others are close enough to 100% that they're still very playable. (Using the settings recommended here: CPU 4, Frameskip Type 1)

I really hope the SNES emulator inproves. Full speed SNES in my pocket would make my 3DS my main platform for playing games on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol