Gaming New DS peripheral @ Tokyo Game Show

tenchan4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Played this at Tokyo Game Show yesterday, and can honestly say this is a DS peripheral I would definitely buy.

spaceinvadersknobxq8.jpg

I know it looks just like a cheep plastic knob, but it's sturdy and has some weight to it. I think it's made of metal or something. It really makes arkanoid feel like the old arcade version, in every respect. Plus the new Space Invaders Extreme was really fun to play using it as well.

spaceinvaderstgsverfe6.jpg

Anyone think this rare version of the game will ever get dumped?

More info on the games:
TGS 2007: Arkanoid DS, Space Invaders Extreme, and a sweet paddle peripheral

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this on ds fanboy a few weeks back, its a good idea, but it will be a bit hard to utilize. All i can see are space invaders, and breakout clones.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it also comes with Arkanoid DS first. Its a old fashion game paddle.

Looking forward to the new Arkanoid and Space Invaders, looks like they've finally done some good new versions.

reaperman@home

Trophies
Website
www.geocities.com
XP
Country
might be good for some homebrew driving games and other sims, but I wouldn't imagine taito ever developing/packing this with any non-retro commercial titles or licensing its use.

I like that it gets this kind of idea out there, paving the way for similar accessories. Ideally I think that accessory/grips are an even better idea, covering the entire base.

I think that a generic controller-grip accessory would be best with removable/interchangable control units allowing the unit to accept small knobs, flight or arcade sticks, buttons, keypads etc while leaving room for a larger rumble pak. Commercially I don't think it will ever happen unless it's done by one of the pirate hardware companies, since we're about the only people out there with 'crazy hardware attachment' budgets where I game budgets should be.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can't it be flush with the Lite? Argh.

Because people like me don't want/have the Lite.

I'm sorry. Well, I have a lite (after I sold my phat to a friend) and aside from a few d-pad issues, I like it a lot better. Brightness, better battery life, and it doesn't look retarded when someone sees me pulling it out of my pocket. As for the whole hand cramping issue, I have a 3rd party wing case that fixes that issue for marathon gaming sessions.

Although I'm not making this into a "which is better" issue. I've tried both and PERSONALLY I like the DS Lite better overall. They both have their positive and negatives. Snaking is damn near impossible for me now, for example.

Back on topic, When the DS camera thing came out a month or so ago, I saw that it was flush with the NDSL, I was figuring/hoping that everything else would follow their lead. I guess not.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it'll be available to buy separately from the games. At the moment I know that you can either buy Arkanoid DS with it or without when its released in Japan. Nothings been said about Space Invaders Extreme will have it included other than it'll support it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, no