Homebrew new DS owner . . . need a little direction

Ottsrx7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just purchased my DS about a week ago and after searching a little on the web realized that there were a bunch off cool homebrew apps available. Can anyone tell me what I will need to purchase to utilize some of these apps and where to get it? I'm very interested in the web browser and video players. any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You need a Flashcart

I recommend a CycloDS Evolution ($50) or an Acekard 2 if you are on a budget (~$20)

Then you need a MicroSD card. You can get them on Amazon.com or just at a local electronics shop like Best Buy, although it is cheaper to purchase online

Ottsrx7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the advice. . . I have a few 2gb micro SD's laying around from old cell phones. Can you tell me the differences between the 2 flash carts you recommended? What is best place to buy them?

Also, is M3 an App? I hear a lot of people mentioning it on here?

What browser do you recommend?
thanks for all your help

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ottsrx7 said:
thanks for the advice. . . I have a few 2gb micro SD's laying around from old cell phones. Can you tell me the differences between the 2 flash carts you recommended? What is best place to buy them?

Also, is M3 an App? I hear a lot of people mentioning it on here?

What browser do you recommend?
thanks for all your help
The CycloDS is a more advanced flashcart, with extra features, like Real-time-save (Allows you to save whenever you want), Ingame text reader (for guides) and slow-mo (quite useless)

If you don't need any of that, the Acekard 2 is a fast, streamlined cart that can do most basic things, and has good support (like updates and such)

M3 is a flashcart maker, they make the M3 Real and iTouch DS.

Web browsing on the DS is quite slow and limited. It does not support flash (Youtube and such) and has limited photo support.

The best web browser on DS is Nintendo's own web browser. To use it, you will need an expansion pack. The best is the EZ-Flash 3-in-1. With the expansion pack, you can also use rumble for games that support it, and play downloaded GBA games.

There are a few good retailers for flashcarts on the internet.

-Dealextreme.com. Cheap, but shipping takes a while
-dealwoot.com
-Realhotstuff.com

xylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you need for a good ds homebrew experience:

CycloDS Evolution or M3 Real

EZFlash V 3-in-1 expansion

2-8 GB MicroSD

Google... lol

But you came to the right place

ruddyadam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got an acekard2... awesome cart. Allows you to play homebrew, backed up games, etc, and has nice features. At DealExtreme It takes 2 weeks to get, but hey, cheap and great. Plus, the Acekard team has awesome support for their product, so if something goes wrong with it acekard.com support will help you directly. I definitely recommend Acekard 2!!

For a microSD card, definitely 4gb+... you'll want space for your games/music/movies etc. Get it anywhere, but I'd recommend Newegg.com They usually have great prices and even better customer service... seriously, really good.

As for apps:

moonshell (medai player- a must)
bunjalloo 0.72 (web browser)
ColorsDS (awesome drawing program that has this cool playback feature shows you a sped-up video of you making your drawing)
DSNotes - take quick post-it notes and save them on your ds
C|IRC (irc client if you're into that)
DSFTP (you can access an ftp server and download files right to your ds, unfortunately, you have to manually edit the server location in the config file, which is only a problem if you access more than one server)
DSOrganize - well, has a web browser, an irc client, a hombrew database thing that lets you download homebrew from specific databases right to your DS. more.
LMP-NG - looks like/acts like an ipod music player

you'll also need BatchDPG (a windows app) to convert your ripped dvds to dpg format for playing on the ds. Don't worry, the vids only come out to about 300MB, so you can fit quite a few on your microSD.

As far as Games:

well, definitely pick up Stay Alive DS - its a 2d Portal remake with great levels and a level editor so you can make your own. Great game!
Anguna - pretty fun zelda-like "rpg"
World of Sand
GeoWars
Setsuzoku - surprisingly fun!

what else? I dont know - Im still having lots of fun with Stay Alive

well, have fun, and yeah, don't expect too much from web browsing. it rots. you might want to look into getting the official Opera web browser with memory add-on.

volcomstone00009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just got a CycloDS and it is amazing. i have downloaded LEGALLY some backups of games and homebrew has a lot of support...stuffs4kids.com is the best. insanely fast shipping and they are on the east coast...im on the west and came in less than a week
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol