New DS Linker: Microninja!

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
people, grow up. this is like G6 lite vs supercard lite again. if you really wanna debate on space, it'll never end.

note: I still love supercard lite over any of the Slot1 right now.

Hypnotoad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really can't understand people who rip on the DS-X because of its memory size. The DS-X is for playing games. Period. That was the intent of the product.  NDS is not really meant to play movies or music. Its just that someone wrote an app that made it possible.
So, lets break it down. If you want to store music and video files, DON'T buy a DS-X. You are better off getting something that uses removable portable memory.
If you only are going to play games and maybe listen to music, then get a DS-X.
People are complaining about cost. Well, consider how much R and D, testing and man hours went into making the DS-X.  $120 is a great deal considering its great compatibility and easy to use interface.

I disagree. Right now out of all the cards I own, I'm using a G6 as my main card (same memory size as the ds-x). Even though I only use my card only for gaming, I find that 512 is just too easy to fill up. And that's even with using rom trim to save some space.

As far as cost goes, I think the current G6 Lite at $79 is a better buy than the ds-x (G6: GBA support). And when the new G6 1gig card hits, that'll be even a better buy than the current G6.

After spending money on a 512 card once, I could never see myself doing at again.

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I

I disagree. Right now out of all the cards I own, I'm using a G6 as my main card (same memory size as the ds-x). Even though I only use my card only for gaming, I find that 512 is just too easy to fill up. And that's even with using rom trim to save some space.

As far as cost goes, I think current the G6 Lite at $79 was a better buy than the ds-x (G6: GBA support). And when the new G6 1gig card hits, that'll be even a better buy than the current G6 Lite.

After spending money on a 512 card once, I could never see myself doing at again.

It depends on what you are buying it for. I would agree that its a better buy at the current time for most of us though. The main reasons that I would imagine buying a DS-X over a G6 for are:-

1. Mac/Linux Compatibility
2. Ease of use (simple drag and drop)
3. Not wanting to flash your DS/using it on other people's DSs
4. If you own both a DS Phat and a DS Lite. It makes switching between the two so much easier than switching the case out every time.
5. Hopefully less support will be required in the future, since it can play many of the troublesome new games without needing an update.
6. Consumes less battery life? Not sure about this, G6 takes a pretty small amount as it is...
7. Homebrew support

Looking at all those, it would seem that the DS-X is geared towards people who are less technologically inclined. That would obviously make it a better buy for them. There is no point in spending $80 on a cart and then posting "waht setting i use? game not working!!!" every time you want to put a different game on it, making it pretty useless.

On the other hand, I would never consider buying a DS-X over a G6L since I have no problem with those things, GBA support is huge for me and even th $80 is stretching my budget. The point to this is that there is no overall 'Best Buy' or 'Best Card'. It all depends on what you're looking for.....

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
man, whats with these people dissing FifthE1ement 's comments. i have respect for him after reading alot of his contributions to this site/forums (although i have only just started posting here)

some of you just don't seem to understand what he said.

anyways, i don't have any personal experience with ninja products, but this seems to be

a BIG aesthetic improvement
ninja has some good features

but with the same firmware as the original, until the team releases updates to improve the features, it is hardly at a good level of performance.

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
agree with ya osw. 5th element has helped many a people, no need to bash him.

cant wait to get the psp. gba emu, snes emu, sega emu, psp gaming, ps1 emu in the works, divx support. gonna love that long time.

eventually ill have the ds-x + the ram expansion for the ds, and the psp modded with firmware hacks for everything else.

Marvz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
My point being, that what might not be enough for you can be plenty for others. Different solutions for different users. You can think of it as buying a 20GB or 80GB iPod; some people only need 20GB, some need 80GB, it's all a matter of preference.

I, for one, DO NOT use my DS as an all-in-one device (I have an iPod for music/movies). This is why I prefer the DS-X. I won't say that the new MicroNinja is a bad product, I'm just saying it's not right for me. I prefer the DS-X since it does exactly what I want (which is play games). I find it really pointless that people bring up size constraints as an issue, seeing as how for some people 512MB is perfect.

What's so pointless about people who find size constraint an issue? There are happy people and unhappy people in this world. If you feel that 512MB is enough with certain people. Well, I am happy for them. =)

As for me, i feel the space constraint even when i am using a 1GB Mini SD card on my M3. I pack alot of GBA and NDS games, since I like to have different variety of games to play on the go.

BTW: Slot-1 devices are still in their early infancy. So I will give it some time before i jump to a Slot-1 solution. Of course Flashcart are still good for playing GBA games. =)

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is all great.. blah blah blah.
I like more mem space, some do not. Its over.

What I'd like to know is, which one (dsx, acekard, or ninja) supports ds wireless play/download play with unflashed or ds's without a passcard?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
QUOTE said:
What I'd like to know is, which one (dsx, acekard, or ninja) supports ds wireless play/download play with unflashed or ds's without a passcard?

This question has been answered before (we only don't have an acekard yet).
- the DS-Xtreme supports download play for flashed AND unflashed (although some games dont work properly - afaik only Big brain & Yoshi have problems, there might be more)
- the NinjaDS supports download play to flashed DS only.

the acekard I don't know.

invaderrj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there any new word on release date? Or when you guys will be getting one to review? Im probably going to be buying a DS for my wife for xmas and want to buy a slot-1 so I can give her my Supercard but each new card sounds better than the last (with this one being the most interesting so far). So yeah, just wondering if anyone has heard anything new on this recently.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s