New DS Flash kit: DSKey

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Apr 11, 2007.

Apr 11, 2007

New DS Flash kit: DSKey by shaunj66 at 11:13 AM (5,983 Views / 0 Likes) 53 replies

1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom

New DS Flash kit: DSKey

Another N-card alternative

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A new DS Flash kit is coming to the market from within Europe. The DSKey, another clone of the N-card style range of DS carts, is coming soon. The DSKey comes with 2GB of onboard storage, 100% compatibility and drag'n'drop functionality. Here's a list of features:
    • [*]Original Size - Insert into DS Slot 1 without any sticking out. [*]Boot from DS slot 1 directly - Do NOT need any passme/flashme. DSKEY can also act like a SuperKey or PassCard if needed. [*]Built-in memory design - Included 2Gbyte NAND flash memory inside, it's the same as USB Disk flash memory, so it's very fast, about 512KByte/sec writing speed. [*]Clear ROM support directly - No patching required, totally supports clean ROMs. Game compatibility up to 100% [*]Multi-games Support - Multi-touch menu to select the games. Games can be added or deleted freely. [*]Easy to use, Plug'n Play - With the DSKEY Writer, DSKEY works like a U-Disk, the only thing you need to do is copy the game into the U-Disk, insert into DS/DSL and play. [*]Micro firmware, easy upgrade - Micro firmware designed, and extended skin which is fully upgradeable. [*]No software required - No software required, just Drag'n Drop files from PC.

2. halljames

Member halljames GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not another one.

Why doesn't everyone just get an R4 and be done with it [​IMG]

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    what is that cable thing near the gba dust cover, i'm sure there is no port there?

4. Sleepwalker

Newcomer Sleepwalker Advanced Member

Germany
    Uhm... [​IMG]

5. Kurimu

Newcomer Kurimu Newbie

They are running out of names...
    Ugh whats the point anymore =_=

6. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    For file transfer. It's a custom dustcover that comes with the product

7. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    The only reason for making yet another Slot1 solution could be that it's insanely cheap.
    I mean if they sell this for 25 bucks I would buy it without even thinking. But if it's the same price as the rest, I don't see ANY point in making this.

8. ryohki

Member ryohki GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    that dustcover is hawt.

9. N3CR0P57

Newcomer N3CR0P57 Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm wondering if you could write to the R4's microSD with one of those fancy dust covers?
    Although, I've still never had a any problems with my original blue Usb writer, that came with my R4.

10. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    oh i see

11. kreatosoupa

Newcomer kreatosoupa Advanced Member

Greece
    I have to agree. We don't need another Slot 1, clone or not. R4 does it all, and cheap... They have to bring something very new to the mix in order to sell. [​IMG]

And 512kb/sec isn't fast. It basically means you would have to wait over 4 minutes to copy a game the size of Bleach or Elite Beat Agents (128MB). I think I could fill up my 1GB microSD in 4 minutes, and have some time to spare too... They obviously have no idea what fast means.

12. APPS

Newcomer APPS Member

United Kingdom
    Umm...

I'm pretty sure my maths is corect, how is half an hour to write 2GB very fast?

13. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You guys are aware the using NAND memory would put the performance on a level that the R4 would never acheive.

14. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    And in what way would it perform better then if there's nothing wrong with R4... Well except for Download Play compatibility then, but this product will have no download play compatibility at all: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=45180

15. THeLL

Member THeLL GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Not even the name is a unique one... Why do they even bother to bring this onto the market?

16. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    There nothing wrong with the N card and it clones [​IMG] every single rom runs at full speed with no slow downs thats right including castlevania. I dont fancy the R4 because i couldn't be botherd dealing with micro sds. im glad the r4 is not the only thing in the market its not the perfect solution for everybody [​IMG] Also the N card is cheaper than the R4 and it still plays every single rom. YOu also need a japan kingston micro sd just so all game will play on the r4.

17. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

Your math is wrong. 2GB = 2048MB, and this thing writes at .5MB/sec. It'll take over an hour to write to the whole thing.

18. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

The R4 uses NAND you know. The only difference between the two is that the R4 uses removable flash, with the N-Card & clones use integrated flash. All the flash memory used by these types of devices is NAND though.

19. stop_loading

Member stop_loading GBAtemp Regular

R4 slows down on downhill jam, nothing wrong my foot

20. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    While the N card plays it llike the retail copy. Exactly my point the r4 isn't as perfect as people make it out. [​IMG] its a good card however every single card has its downside.