new ds firmware in Japan?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by superdude, Aug 1, 2008.

Aug 1, 2008

new ds firmware in Japan? by superdude at 9:20 PM (3,362 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. superdude
    OP

Member superdude GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Nintendo of japan says they might not need to make a new ds, they also say we can solve this hardware demand problem without the need for a new console. so will they just give us a way to update the firmware? Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter says that nintendo have designs for a new ds by the end of this year. http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/07/31/pachter...apan-this-year/

2. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    If there will be a firmware update, I would download it as long as it will have WPA support. That's the only thing I need. The DS is perfect for me now.

Redesigns? NO

3. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    If this is true, maybe the firmware will make flashcarts unusable.

4. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Couldn't a firmware update disable the use of flashcarts?

Edit:Bah,bobrules beat me to it.

5. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Took the words out of my mouth.
    But if anyone who has at least a small knowledge of pirates know that, it will be cracked sooner or later. >_>

6. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Yeah, definitely it'll be hacked soon after its release, isn't everything. Is there any info on features or anything?

7. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Surely you all know that you have to manually install new firmware?

You actually HAVE to bridge a connection on the DS board to write over the firmware. Nintendo can NOT install a firmware on your ds on the fly, you would have to do it yourself.

The only thing they would be able to do is add the new firmware to new ds's like they did with the different versions so far. All of which can be overwritten with flashme.

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Not to mention that the firmware is only 256 KB if I remember correctly. Not exactly that much space to store extra features.

9. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    If there is a new firmware, I will just wait until a cracked version comes out.

10. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Maybe it will be something upgradeable at your local gamestore...

11. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    or it could be upgradeable through your Wii.

12. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Hmm

Well the firmware would need to do something you really wanted damn bad in order for us to want it.
    What it does will become known the moment it is released.
    If no one wants it, it will die.

Not putting it on new DS units will mean Nintendo has no way to force it on us.
    Not being able to force it on us will mean they will have little or no reason to produce it.

And as we already know, what with new games often requiring firmware updates to flash carts, Nintendo is already using new games to keep up guessing.
    A game that has an enforced firmware upgrade (if it's even possible) that is not to our liking, will likely only immediately kill the game to some extent, so it's hard to say if they would even do this.

I think the only solution Nintendo has, in being able to deal with "us" is to release a DS unit that begins using a cart port entirely re designed to NOT allow the usage of the carts we are now using. After all, if you can't put a flash cart into the DS, you can't use it eh. Wouldn't stop people making a new design flash cart of course, but would certainly kill off the ones we have now.

And as the GBA slot attests, they have no problem consigning old designs to the dustbin of history.

So the only question that interests me is "how long will it be before Nintendo releases the Nintendo DS Lite 2".

13. superdude
    OP

Canada
    they did say by the end of this year. i think if they do give the firmware at gamestop or ebgames then they could make charge us money for the firmware upgrade?

14. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    A firmware update on the already sold DSs out there is just not going to happen officially, not only can they only update around 1/2 of the 256K (earlier units had 1/4 locked by SL1, some newer ones are 1/2 locked) without physically bridging something (sl1) - but I doubt they are going to give *all* the current owners essentially an extension to their warranty when it goes wrong. Besides, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot as we all know how many DSs sell each time a new model/color/etc is made officially.

15. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    I'm guessing that if they make a redesign it'll be something like the GBA Micro, but seriously, do we really need another one!?
    [​IMG]

But a new firmware if probably fine though...

16. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    *sigh*

Why is GBAtemp so full of people who don't even read the articles they are reffering to before posting? All this article is about is that some analyst predicts we might see a new DS revision that will boost the sales again.
    Now, where the hell did Nintendo make any statement? They DID NOT say they will or won't make a redesign, nor that there is an another solution for that problem. And finally, of all the things, it's been stated a million times that it's pretty much impossible to do a firmware update. No, the current NoPass based flashcards (most of SLOT-1 stuff) can't be stopped, as blocking them would also break the functionality of a lot of Game Cards. As cory stated, firmware update can't help absolutely anything. You can't add WPA, because the CPU is too weak and because all wireless applications are hardcoded in the games. And updating the firmware for no good reason would probably brick a lot of DS units, as DS lacks any kind of a failsafe system.

So please, next time just READ and think before you post absolute nonsense. There isn't even a hint at anything FW related in the original article!

17. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    That is my one singlemost peeve of all current gen updateable machines: you have to hack them to have a customer side failsafe or pay them far too much to use non-public tools to do the job when one of their updates goes awry [​IMG]

Seriously, when I pay $200+ for a gadget and am forced to update bi monthly just to use the other stuff I buy for it, there should damn well be a recovery method that does not involve a 1+ month trek across the country for said gadget, coming back in who knows what condition. Thankfully the DS doesn't fall on this pile of BS too (and BigN has always been awesome afaik when it comes to warranty issues.)

As for the truth of the matter, I have no doubt there is a new iteration of the current DS coming... just a matter of time regardless of the simple fact they will ALWAYS deny it for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE to prevent impact to sales of current units in the pipeline. Heck, they even brought on a new revision of the GBA SP (the ones with the much better lighting) after DS had been around for quite a while.

18. Jelster

Newcomer Jelster Newbie

Shouldn't this read HARDware not FIRMware?

To the point of the original article the slowing DS sales are not going to be improved but including a new firmware. Either a dramatic redesign of the existing DS is required but this has already been done with the lite or a whole new system introduced.

I'll put money on the latter with DS compatibility. A redesign of the DS just doesn't make much sense, unless it offers a dramatic advantage over the lite there just wouldn't be a reason to buy it.

19. superdude
    OP

Canada
    firmware could add alot of things maybe wi-fi photo chat

20. MagNetCZ

Member MagNetCZ GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    I wonder if the firmware update could fix my cracked hinge, hmm...