New Dreamcast User

Jhongerkong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I just got a Dreamcast cause my bud had a cd full of nes roms and I wanted a piece of the action. So what kind of modchips and what not do you need to run homebrew? And what are some of the better apps out there?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
THREAD-JACK! OMG!
ph34r.gif

The laser in mine has a hard ass time reading burnt stuffs. It's very dirtie inside. Anyways, I was wondering if there was a cheap solution to cleaning the lens. Everything I read says I should buy a lens cleaning kit but I'm curious if a Q-Tip and a dab Isopropyl will do the trick.

Back on topic, congrats on getting the 'cast. You must download Ikaruga (Commercial game). All dreamcast owners MUST have the game in some form or another.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah just need to either find premade crud that already works as it's patched, or the original more painful part was making a bootdisc and then swapping in the burn you wanted (or even other region title that is legit) you want.

When I had the DC I burnt a pair of games that were done for the system but never saw the light of day. Propeller Arena from Sega and then due to Sony sheisty bullshit Half-Life: Blue Shift of which both were excellent. I had also tracked down Titanium Studios Quake loader which had the sucker running very pretty in OpenGL.

ctunightfall

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
REZ, ftw! Took me years to find a copy that would work b/c I'd dl a few then give up for weeks before trying again. Plays great with the rumble pack, volume cranking and late at nite.

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
THREAD-JACK! OMG!
ph34r.gif

The laser in mine has a hard ass time reading burnt stuffs. It's very dirtie inside. Anyways, I was wondering if there was a cheap solution to cleaning the lens. Everything I read says I should buy a lens cleaning kit but I'm curious if a Q-Tip and a dab Isopropyl will do the trick.

Back on topic, congrats on getting the 'cast. You must download Ikaruga (Commercial game). All dreamcast owners MUST have the game in some form or another.

a q-tip and a dab alcohol is totally sufficient, just be careful!

and try this if the above brings next to nothing:

http://konsolenprofis.net/anleitungen/nme-1-2/tweak.jpg

(the poti is directly at the laser unit! if you flip it around and are careful with the flat ribbon cable you wont have to unplug the flat ribbon cable, i just say this as flat ribbon cables CAN be a pain in the you know where to plug back in!)

good luck!

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you guys are mostly right. DC will play backups without even a swapping of discs/boot disc as long as it was manufactured before October 2000. After that, it's iffy if it will run older releases, although there is a workaround if you recompile the image. Google is your friend.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nah just need to either find premade crud that already works as it's patched, or the original more painful part was making a bootdisc and then swapping in the burn you wanted (or even other region title that is legit) you want.

When I had the DC I burnt a pair of games that were done for the system but never saw the light of day. Propeller Arena from Sega and then due to Sony sheisty bullshit Half-Life: Blue Shift of which both were excellent. I had also tracked down Titanium Studios Quake loader which had the sucker running very pretty in OpenGL.

if the image is a CDI type file you do not need a boot disc, if the file is a .bin or NRG there is programs out there to convert it to CDI so it will boot automatically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued