OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
image002-18.jpg

American progressive metal veterans Dream Theater have revealed the title and track listing for their upcoming new full-length album. The album has been given the title of "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" and will feature 9 tracks. Dream Theater keyboardist Jordan Rudess commented on the album, which is planned for a September 20, 2011 release through Roadrunner Records, by saying:

"We have poured our hearts and minds into the creation of this album. All the life changing events that surrounded us before, as well as during the whole process, fueled our desire to dig deep within ourselves and create the best music we possibly could."

The album's track listing is as follows:

1. On The Backs Of Angels
2. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
3. Lost Not Forgotten
4. This Is The Life
5. The Shaman's Trance
6. Outcry
7. Far From Heaven
8. Breaking All Illusions
9. Beneath The Surface
[/p]

Source

Hell yeah! It's a good name, it reflects what the band has been through in making(or before) this album, I bet it'll be awesome. And 9 tracks is quite a lot actually, especially when you look at DT's tendency to dedicate tens of minutes to one song, this album could be quite long.

I can't wait to see Mangini in action.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll definitely keep a watch out for the new album. I hope the music is more hard and not too many soft songs. They can say what they want about it being the best music they ever produced, but I have very selective tastes in music.

While I consider them my favorite band at the moment, based mostly on their harder stuff, they do tend to have a lot of....well.....generic sounding tunes that just don't kick my ass. Too many tunes where they are rambling on in their technical superiority and not slamming your ass around the room.

Ultimately, the sound mixing will make a big difference to me. They are considered Power Metal, so if that power isn't in the sound mixing, the music will end up sounding generic to me.

They have a new drummer now, and that will be what I'll be listening to closely. The new guy better pound out the drums in as complicated a manner as the old guy did previously.

I'm no audiophile, so I can't articulate what I mean properly, other than to say I better feel the POWER resounding through. Complex, but catchy rhythms and heavy, bassy, window rattling, pulse pounding, constantly changing beats. Monstrous power chord sounding guitar work, with that deep, full and rich distorted guitar sound, etc. "The Glass Prison", "As I Am" or "The Dark Eternal Night" are good examples of what I expect to hear. Tunes that get me moving and just plain kick my ass and give me goosebumps with their pure awesomeness. I also prefer the singer to sing in his smooth voice and not that raspy one.

One thing I wish they would do is add another guitarist in the mix, keyboards are a kind of a poor substitute for lead guitar jams. I always felt keyboards should be used to create trippy sounds, or add other instrument sounds, not emulate guitars. But I must admit, they pull off their sound pretty well with what they have now. I just feel another guitarist could add so much more to this band.

I am very demanding and selective in my musical tastes, just as I am with my video games. I want what I want. I hope the album will meet my high expectations, but I can't help my cynical nature to expect them to not even come close to some of their previous best tunes.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw man, I LOVE Dream Theater... but their last album (Black Clouds and Silver Lining)... ugh.

I know they said they were going for a more Gothic feel to the album but...
_shakelaugh__by_Link3Kokiri.gif

Hope this one is better!
happy.gif

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
With every new album I try to like Dream Theater. But I only ever only like one or two songs.
After listening to half a Dream Theater album I always have the need to turn on Hypocrisy or something. I guess I'm just not much of a prog fan...

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cosmiccow said:
With every new album I try to like Dream Theater. But I only ever only like one or two songs.
After listening to half a Dream Theater album I always have the need to turn on Hypocrisy or something. I guess I'm just not much of a prog fan...

I haven't found music where I REALLY like more than one or two tunes per album since the 1980's, so that's not surprising.

Domination

OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Yeah, I'm bumping an old thread... But with some relevant new information.

Their album has been leaked for a few days now, and I've been listening to it extensively. It's just amazing, it's as epic as Images, probably their best in ages. They've moved on from their heavy gothic sound of the last few albums which was mainly influenced by Portnoy, and now their style is more inclined towards prog than metal. If you're a prog fan(which you most definitely are if you like DT), you'll probably love their returning to classic progressiveness.

General reviews have been quite positive as well: http://dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25405.0

Fan reception has been generally great too, of course, that's just from what I've seen in youtube, last.fm and some forum comments.

All tracks are really outstanding actually, but these are my 4 most favourite tracks at the moment:
7. Far From Heaven This is a ballad, it's mainly vocals and piano. There's bass and strings too of course.
[youtube]pRkU9NNLYP4[/youtube]

8. Breaking All Illusions Probably my definite favourite from the album, the chorus melody and the instrumentatiom is just too epic.
[youtube]A9stqYaeUOY[/youtube]

5. Bridges In The Sky
[youtube]xIGMcK6exWs[/youtube]

6. Outcry
[youtube]kZkWV7Mqhhg[/youtube]

The new album is officially coming out in a week on September 13th.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it! Thanks for the heads-up! Will give it a listen in a bit......dinner's almost ready.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr