New Dragon Quest game in the works

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by CompassNorth, Apr 27, 2014.

1. CompassNorth
    OP

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Source via Getmatsu

Hyped
    Hopefully it comes overseas

Celice likes this.
  2. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    PS4's first Dragon Quest game, nice!

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Really, considering how much money these things make, I'd be more surprised if they weren't working on another.

4. CompassNorth
    OP

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Oh god the horror!

GHANMI and GameWinner like this.
  5. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I've always loved the Dragon Quest series because of their charming, individual stories. Instead of having one main goal driving the entire game, usually the game is broken into episodic chunks, and they are self-sustaining narratives. At its best, such as with DQVII, it's almost as if you're playing a Twilight Zone of JRPGs, where you get to taste some of everything in a really cool and laid-back fashion.

6. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    You know you want it. :creep:

7. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Still waiting for DQ VII 3DS and DQ X on Wii U

8. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    The localization team for Fire Emblem Awakening expressed interest in handling Dragon Quest VII, but it seemed that NoA went with Bravely Default, as it had more profitable returns on the investment. DQVII was shelved for a later investment. Now that Bravely Default has been a success and its time has passed, there is probably work on DQ VII going on around now.

9. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Before :bortz: gets here, let me just say my usual "Why won't you guys translate the games you already released first?!"

Seriously, there are already, what, four 3DS games that are only in Japanese? I know they don't sell as many localized copies as the original, but it also costs a lot less to localize it than it does to make the original, so I would assume that the profit percentage is better for the latter.

10. CompassNorth
    OP

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I don't have PS4, so not really.
    I'd love it to be on the PS Vita or the 3DS, but the 3DS is more likely.

11. BORTZ

BORTZ DERP DOG

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    HEY!
    What do you think you are doing, posting exactly what I would post, huh?

Pedeadstrian likes this.
  12. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Meh ....

I would always prefer a Dragon Quest MONSTERS game over a Dragon Quest :(

Pedeadstrian and BortzANATOR like this.
  13. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Well, a Dragon Quest thread went over a day without you posting in it, so I thought you were dead or something.

Me too. Well, so long as it isn't a crappy Joker game. I sure hope those Japanese DQM games for the 3DS get translated and are quality games. I loved Dragon Warrior Monsters as a kid, and I was super excited to hear about a game called "Terry's Wonderland," but for the past two years it has only been called Terry No Wonderland... ): SPEAK ENGLISH, TERRY. Wait... Terry doesn't speak...

BortzANATOR likes this.
  14. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Please be as good as DQ VIII, that game was superb, reason why I bought a PS2 basically.
    Amazing game, please be as good.

15. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Well, I thought Dragon Quest IX was a pretty good game (though it would have been better if I played it while it was still new, getting the most out of the wireless events and whatnot). Hopefully they just keep the trend. But, that quote is piquing my interest. If the "next" Dragon Quest game was something like Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3, those guys' looks would make sense. But who knows, I'm just grasping at straws at this point.

16. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    3DS is far more likely since:
    a) the game is aimed at a Japanese audience,
    b)to the most popular platform (ie: either PS3, Wii, 3DS or mobile)
    c) it's not for mobile
    d) DQ VII 3DS was said to implement enhancements that would be used in later DQ games, but DQM 1/2 or Mori Mori Slime 3 are different engine-wise not to include said enhancements
    e) DQ have been historically low budget games (VIII was an exception in many ways)

And then we have:
    PS4 is struggling there, other home consoles like Wii U and PS3 suffer the same problem, XB360 is DEAD and XBone is well.. very unlikely.
    PSP didn't get DQ so why would the Vita, which is even less popular there (atm)
    mobile is the most popular platform there (sadly) but Horii vetoed any plans to make DQ 11 primarily for mobile.

I'd say:
    1) 3DS
    2) PS3 and/or potentially Wii U
    3) PS4

CompassNorth likes this.
  17. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Last time I checked, Sony is Japanese?

18. GHANMI

Jun 10, 2012
    I'm referring to the Japanese preference for mobile and handhelds (since the PS360 gen anyways) vs the Western preference for home consoles and PC gaming.

19. CompassNorth
    OP

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure if it should be added, but Nintendo did an amazing marketing campaign for Dragon Quest IX, which is a positive and it's one of the reasons why Dragon Quest IX did so well.
    I'm pretty sure Yuji Hori has taken this into consideration.

20. GHANMI

Jun 10, 2012
    Indeed, SE can kiss the (much needed) Western marketing push from Nintendo goodbye if they make it multiplatform (that was one of the reasons Nintendo passed over Ninokuni DS, btw -they were indeed considering it, and they had the means to, cf Fatal Frame 3DS and its book-... and Nintendo wasn't happy when their early marketing push for Rayman Legends turned out to be.. oh, you know) or, of course a PS/iOS exclusive.
    At the very least in such a scenario I can see only the Nintendo version getting a localization (like with Tales of Symphonia), if multiplat is considered at all (I doubt it is either, DQ X was an MMO so it made sense to port it to PC).

But there's another thing:
    The West, heck, even Asia outside Japan, are IRRELEVANT as things stand now for plans of future DQ titles.
    Thinking about Western audiences is but an afterthought.
    As for DQ IX, 75% of the global sales are from Japan. While being a million seller in the West is indeed a feat, they don't really pander to it as much (they tried to gear that game towards western audiences, even considering retooling it as an Action RPG... but they toned down that approach. There were murder threats over how random encounters are now visible and avoidable)
    DQ X's localization now is a left pending "maybe, when we make servers and region-specific content, eventually, probably" ... total radio silence about 3DS ones, though that might be changing with BD's success and those statements, with DQ7 being considered even before alongside BD by Nintendo

That said, Dragon Quest X sold exceptionally well for an MMO, and for a Wii U title at that. The 3DS games (and even the mediocre Wii titles) also did very well... Even from a Japan-only standpoint, the Nintendo exclusivity and the popularity of the 3DS did wonders for them, so to think it will stay a Nintendo franchise for a while wouldn't be that far-fetched.

Also, Dragon Quest pre-merger was Enix's and Nintendo's answer on the Game Boy Color for Square's and Bandai's (and I think even Sony was involved, as part of a deal with Bandai) Final Fantasy ports on the Wonderswan Color. They were releasing DQ games on the same week as the FF ones, effectively crushing their sales AND their platform. And that was the ONE time Nintendo was moneyhatting DQ games.
    And Dragon Quest VII started as a Nintendo 64DD title! (and then Nintendo messed up on that platform, causing nearly all of its games save for OoT/MM to be either moved on PS1 or GC/GBA for first-party ones, or cancelled altogether)