New decade, New temp - Happy New Year!

temp_2020.png

tempStyle v3

What's this!? Welcome to GBAtemp (v7)! :)
We are storming into 2020 with a brand new look! We've made quite a few changes and tweaks to make GBAtemp an even better experience across the board! We've gone and trawled through every corner of GBAtemp to bring a more cohesive and streamlined design to every inch of the site! So please feel free to take a look around and get accustomed.

Dark style user? Fear not! Dark and black versions of tempStyle 3 will be available... immediately! Yes, that's right - dark and black mode themes for tempStyle 3 are ready to go. But that's not all... :)

We'll talk more about the new style in a moment but before we get too deep into the new look, let's take a quick look back at GBAtemp during 2019. This was a great year for GBAtemp with many new faces joining and new site features to boot!

GBAtemp in 2019 - A Recap:

We kicked 2019 off with our first official review of the year, which was Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition for Nintendo Switch, which scored a hearty 8.5. A massive 200 reviews were written by our staff, breaking all prior yearly records. Of course, those lofty heights wouldn't have been able to have been reached, without the new additions to our magazine staff! @relauby, @RattletraPM, @KiiWii, and @Ericzander all joined the orange team in 2019, and we appreciate all the content they've written this year!

The writing staff also re-re-rebooted GBAtemp Recommends yet again, with entries for The Classic Fallout Series (which was even endorsed by the Fallout series creator Brian Fargo himself! How exciting!), The Danganronpa Series, Silent Hill, and just recently, Dead Rising.

April saw us do some foolin' using the newly announced Stadia platform as bait and dropping truth bombs with Gaming Perfection: Bubsy 3D.

Fast-forward to June, and we see @Chary take her yearly trip to E3 with a ton of coverage and media! This year's expo brought us news regarding Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Breath of the Wild 2, more information on the long-awaited Final Fantasy VII Remake, and memes abound, with the reveal of Keanu Reeves starring in next year's Cyberpunk 2077.

It was during E3 that Nintendo announced that not every Pokémon would be available in Pokémon Sword and Shield, disappointing fans, and turning Sword and Shield's pre-release speculation into a dramatic event that shook the internet for months.

Another milestone happened when we revived the beloved shirt sale, and launched a GBAtemp merch Redbubble store. There was even a contest for our users to create their own shirt design, and submit it in a contest. @CeeDee, @Jiehfeng, and @Dr.Hacknik managed to create some hilarious and snazzy-looking pieces of clothing!

30 new issues of Temper Tantrums - the GBAtemp webcomic were published, from our lovely team of artists, such as @x65943, @Sushiru_River, @WhiteMaze, and more!

Nintendo's online offerings continued to disappoint, with paid online services still being outclassed by homebrew such as LAN-play and RetroArch. Do you think we'll see Nintendo Switch Online improve in the new year?

Something that fans had been waiting months for had been achieved in December, as Nintendo Wii U emulator Cemu was updated to v1.16.0, introducing the Vulkan renderer benefiting AMD users everywhere. This emulator certainly has come a long way! Congrats to the Cemu team!

We also added a new Developer role to the site to help respect and bring attention to the hard-working people that make this scene what it is. Thank you, for all your contributions to the scene!

Topping things off, in November we added one of the biggest GBAtemp features yet - the GBAtemp Game Center, cataloguing over 122,000 games! Not only does it allow users to easily mention games within threads, but it also features a weekly release date calendar, game ratings, and a wide variety of information, all available directly on GBAtemp itself!

Also, don't forget to try your luck in the last of this year's last Tempmas event for a chance to win! You can't go wrong with a chance to get free stuff!!

As always, thanks for being with us at GBAtemp and please enjoy the new styles. If you're a member, and if you're not already registered; what are you waiting for? Go and register an account to join the GBAtemp community and enjoy the perks of the temp life!

You can read more about tempStyle 3 in the post below.

From all the staff at GBAtemp, we wish you and your friends and family a Happy New Year 2020! :)

- GBAtemp Staff

Last edited by shaunj66,

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I was liking the new load out at first but now if just feels clunky. All my pages are loading in the default white and don't switch to dark theme until the page is fully loaded in. Way too much scripting on the page. I have most it blocked with NoScript, but still.

Tempylon

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Using tempStyle 3

tempStyle 3 is still a work-in-progress so please bear with us while we make changes as we roll it out :)

By default you'll be using tempStyle 3 in the default (white) mode. However, we have other styles available and ready to go!

What's that? You don't like any of the styles we made? Well you're in luck as you can now easily and quickly modify the colours to your hearts content. Read on to find out more...

To change styles, you'll need to open the tempStyler panel using the palette icon at the bottom left of the screen (JavaScript required). As shown below...

temp_2020_icons.png

A popup will appear that will allow complete customisation of the GBAtemp's colour palette as well as some preset styles (with more to come in the future!)

temp_2020_tempstyler.png

You can customise the following colours:
  • Primary colour (used for part of the header and footer as well as other elements like non-primary buttons, subsections such as section footers and other less important page elements).
  • Secondary colour (used for part of the header and footer and other elements such as section headers etc.)
  • Tertiary colour (a "highlight" colour that is used throughout the site and in other important elements such as primary buttons etc.)
  • Content background colour (used for the background of page blocks)
  • Page background colour

• Title font (used for some title elements such as page titles)

• Light font colour (used for text on dark page elements)
  • Dark font colour (used for most content text)
  • Dimmed font colour (used for dimmed/muted text of less importance)

• Body background pattern (a selection of page background patterns)

Once you have customised the page to your liking; click the green 'tick' icon to save your style.

temp_2020_tempstyler_buttons.png

IMPORTANT: Currently customised styles cannot be saved from outside your browser -
meaning that the style will be kept unless you clear your browsers site data, log out or move to a different device.

You can export your style to a local file (as shown above) but these cannot currently be reuploaded or used. We hope to improve this in the future.

tempStyle 3 Q&A

Can I continue to use the old styles?
Change can be difficult but we suggest you try using tempStyle 3 for a while to feel the benefits. Unfortunately we are retiring the old styles and starting today they will no longer be available for use.

Why is the page so narrow?
Click this icon View attachment 191864 in the bottom left of any page.

But what about the dark and black themes?
tempStyle 3 was delayed while work on the dark and black themes was completed. You can find more information on how to select them above.

Can I use a different style on different devices, eg. desktop to mobile?
Yes! This was heavily requested for tempStyle 2 and I'm happy to announce this is now possible in tempStyle 3.

I cleared my cache and now my custom style is gone! How do I get it back?
Unfortunately, this is not currently an option but we are looking into it.

I made a cool custom style! How can I submit it as an official preset style?
Please use the tempStyle 3 styles thread by clicking here!

I have a suggestion to improve the new style!
Please let us know in the dedicated thread by clicking here.

I found something that doesn't look quite right!?
We are still working on the new skin and bugs and some sections of the site may have been overlooked when designing it. Especially if using a non-default style. If you find a bug or something that looks unpolished or in need of updating please let us know in the dedicated thread by clicking here.
What about the Wiki?

Last edited by Tempylon,

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Well I was liking the new load out at first but now if just feels clunky. All my pages are loading in the default white and don't switch to dark theme until the page is fully loaded in. Way too much scripting on the page. I have most it blocked with NoScript, but still.
I cleared the cache and the dark design works perfectly now for me :)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Heh...some timing. This was just when I finally had unwrapped my (linux) PC. Because it hadn't been turned on in half a year, I had lots of updates and new passwords pending. So when I saw that gbatemp's look was changed, I initially looked everywhere EXCEPT here. :P
...then I noticed it had changed on my tablet as well. :shy:

Perhaps one thing I don't see mentioned...how do you create game tags? I'm fairly sure I used "# bastion" (but without a space between the # and the game name) to create a link before, but now it no longer works. Is that changed or turned off, by any chance? :unsure:

here's how it looks when I F5 the website or click any link really.

windows 10, acer nitro 5, core i5 cpu, nvidia gpu, on waterfox.
Yup...I had this as well. Clearing cache (on chromium) helped for me.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe this was mentioned in the last 9 pages, but, this happening to anyone else?
Screenshot_20200102-122652.png

I don't actually have 16 messages, I have none. This also happened when I got an alert, it showed as a message.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like the new look however something wrong with avatars picture quality.
It seems that there is double scaling that makes final avatar very blurry.
Many avatars no matter if base avatar resolution is higher or lower than 140x140, it's prescaled to 114x114 then css style force it upscale to 140x140 which have no sense.

Last edited by plasturion,

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ive just seen this new setup on desktop as was using mobile before and i think the site news should be central as thts the main focus-peoples eyes are always focused on central first-i remba years ago was in central but not sure previous version as was using mobile

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
I personally want to thank everyone involved with the new theme. I thought Tempstyle 2 was exceedingly ugly compared to the original, but this is a modern design which is becoming one of my favorite web designs in general! The end-user customisation was a neat perk as well. Great work!

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like the new look however something wrong with avatars picture quality.
It seems that there is double scaling that makes final avatar very blurry.
Many avatars no matter if base avatar resolution is higher or lower than 140x140, it's prescaled to 114x114 then css style force it upscale to 140x140 which have no sense.

Ah yes ! I actually forgot about that. Avatars are now shown in a higher resolution. So avatars will need to be reuploaded/applied so it can update the avatar cache with a better quality version.

I personally want to thank everyone involved with the new theme. I thought Tempstyle 2 was exceedingly ugly compared to the original, but this is a modern design which is becoming one of my favorite web designs in general! The end-user customisation was a neat perk as well. Great work!
That is so great to hear. Thank you for your kind words!

Reactions: plasturion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay