New D2C modchip: Argon

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sc4rFac3d, Nov 25, 2007.

Nov 25, 2007

New D2C modchip: Argon by Sc4rFac3d at 5:29 PM (4,239 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Sc4rFac3d
    OP

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    So a while ago I asked about the D2CKey and arctic_flame directed me to the Infectus forum. Apparently they are pretty much finished with their product and some websites are already selling these chips. But they are also going to sell the Infectus chip that is already installed with Wii software and they're calling it Argon. So that means D2CKey isn't the only D2C modchip anymore. Are any other D2C Wii owners interested in this? It has 13 wires, so that seems alot better for people who have never modded before. Plus it's updateable. [​IMG]

Argon announced

2. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    13 wires plus being upgradeable probably makes this the chip to get for d2c owners. As long as the ability to upgrade is made easy, I don't see why anyone would choose a D2CKey over this

3. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    Ive heard of a five wire chip that modifies the D2C Firmware, but I haven't heard anything since.

4. Frankdj

Newcomer Frankdj Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I hope this 'near future' anouncement is going to be very soon!
    It has been 12 days since the news was postedon the Infectus site

5. ricflairandy

Member ricflairandy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    is the d2ckey not updateable ?

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Until now, no proof has been given that is updateable.

7. emirof

Member emirof GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    hmmm.. should I go with this or D2C Key ... GBATemp reviews please [​IMG]

8. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    the problem with argon so far is:

# it is not multi regional compatable
    # reports of the chip causing games to crash

9. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No multiregion [​IMG] , that's a bit of con , they show on feature list partial region support , like all the other chips , yet it has none. They just say on forums , not implemented yet , but working on it.

That's well dodgy , saying you have something when you do not.

I suppose the region patchers could take care of it , like they did on the older chips that didn't have built in region patching , but it's still not right [​IMG].

10. ben_r_

Member ben_r_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Because the D2CKey is tried and true and nobody knows what problems are going to come with the Argon. That and the soldering isnt that different between the two... The number of times you have to solder wires is not the hard part. If you cant solder good its only a few more minutes. Lastly, the D2CKey is out NOW and some people wont want to wait anymore. I know I wouldnt.

11. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Prove your above statement. I've also only heard rumours of crashing, and People with Wiikey's experience game DREs too.

12. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The multi region thing is true , I went looking for it after they posted , as the specs say it should have it , but it does not.

http://www.infectus.biz/forum/index.php?topic=541.0

From infectus "It's not region free at the moment. You can't play usa games on pal consoles."

[​IMG].

13. Redsquirrel

United Kingdom
    Yeah thats what I read on the infectus forums myself. I was going to order one for a friends wii, but he definatly wants multiregional support.

If argon doesnt have this feature by feb, he is gonna go d2ckey. Ive been practicing with all my new gear and i dont think ill have any probs.

14. Sc4rFac3d
    OP

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    I was gonna get my Wii chipped yesterday, but I don't want no half assed chip. For now I guess the best thing is to wait for further updates or just go ahead and get a D2CKey. I'm going to further wait and hope they get their act together fast.

15. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    You right about the argon chip, its just not finished yet.

I've modded my wii with d2ckey and all work well, usa games work fine on my pal console, and no crashes at all.
    And with the flexpcb its really not that hard anymore to install the chip [​IMG]

16. Frankdj

Netherlands
    I can confirm that! However the Argon is released now I have decided a week ago to use the D2Ckey. The reason is that the D2Ckey has proven itself, work with 99% of the Wii games, and it has survived all of the Nintendo updates and tricks! I'm playing PAL, NTSC games without problems now, and I am happy that I did not wait for the Argon chip.

I also had a discussion with an official Argon & D2Ckey dealer in Holland, and even he was doubting whether the D2Ckey would actually need an update in the future, since it works totally different than the Argon.

17. Djang

Member Djang GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    DC2key can't be update, so when the first game pops up that the DC2key can't run, you're screwed.

18. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    how do you know so sure? there are solder points at the underside of the d2ckey chip. It's possible that these are for updates, if it's ever needed of course.

19. Frankdj

Netherlands
    @ lenselijer

D2Ckey team has comeup with a new chip (D2PRO) which is updatable and only 15 wires. So that means they will not put any time in de D2Ckey anymore [​IMG]

However, the reason they created a new chip is NOT because the D2Ckey sucks, the only reason is that the image of the D2Ckey is 'a difficult to install, old chip'... and that's the reason is does not sell anymore. So in order to make some money they created a new chip.

20. Redsquirrel

United Kingdom
    when is this chip out? D2Pro?