Hacking New country, Old Wii

Kwajongen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My Wii is a European PAL v3.4 and I softmodded it 2 years ago using the Twilight Hack.
I moved to NA 7 months ago and finally today I managed to unpack my Wii and get it to work.

First of all, it is now working on an NTSC TV, that was easy, just changed the power supply and got a component cable.
I can run all my PAL games without any problem.
I have also many backups which have always worked well in Europe, here, some of them (not all) have problems.
Which kind of problems?

Well, using SoftChip R102 I get the "ioctl error", while with NeoGamma R9 Beta 47 different errors, sometimes 1729 error, sometimes an error message saying that the disc is not readable.
However, many other backups run fine.

I have updated the cIOS249 to v21 but did not help.
Could this be due to the disc backups deterioration during the move, say, from the 50 degrees in the container during the summer to the -20 degrees in winter here?

You may say, well, try to re-burn, but honestly, I'd like to change the way I backup and switch to USB backup, probably better under many aspects and less hardware to worry about.

So, my question is:1
  • Where do I start from?
  • Does it make sense to upgrade my wii, at least to 4.2? If yes, how and which update, PAL/U ?
  • Can you suggest any specific guide to me?
  • Do I have to start from scratch or use my present twilight hack and continue from there?

Any advice is very welcome.

Thank you!
Alex

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I'd start from scratch and use ModMii to download all the files needed and re-hack the Wii. There is no need to go past 4.1, since both 4.2, and 4.3 are just attempts by Nintendo to block hacks (which obviously didn't last very long). It is important to keep in mind that you should NEVER update your Wii to a system menu not within your Wii's region. If yours is on PAL, only apply PAL system updates. You can also take a good glance at our Modify Any Wii guide for information regarding hacking the Wii and using USB loaders.

If you really want to, there is a piece of homebrew out there that changes your Wii's region, AnyRegionChanger, though it comes at the risk of bricking, and you lose all your Wii Shop Channel data, meaning that any purchases you made are going to be erased and you cannot re-download them for free.

Kwajongen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CarbonX13 said:
I'd start from scratch and use ModMii to download all the files needed and re-hack the Wii. There is no need to go past 4.1, since both 4.2, and 4.3 are just attempts by Nintendo to block hacks (which obviously didn't last very long). It is important to keep in mind that you should NEVER update your Wii to a system menu not within your Wii's region. If yours is on PAL, only apply PAL system updates. You can also take a good glance at our Modify Any Wii guide for information regarding hacking the Wii and using USB loaders.

If you really want to, there is a piece of homebrew out there that changes your Wii's region, AnyRegionChanger, though it comes at the risk of bricking, and you lose all your Wii Shop Channel data, meaning that any purchases you made are going to be erased and you cannot re-download them for free.

Hi,

I followed all the instructions provided in the links above, everything worked perfectly and smoothly, so I now have a 4.1E Wii.
I formatted my HDD to NTFS and want to dedicate it completely to the backups.
Since I read ripping to NTFS is VERY unstable with Wii Backup Manager and therefore is recommended to only add games to an NTFS hard drive using the computer, I'd like to know the following:

[*]Which file type shall I load in the HDD, I have my backups on DVD as well as in ISO format.[*]I guess every game must have its own folder?

Thanks for your precious help
rolleyes.gif

Alex

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games are in .wfbs format.
If you have a ciso or an iso you can convert it to ciao and use a Backup Manager. To add the game.

That's how I do it.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kwajongen said:
2. I guess every game must have its own folder?

usb:\wbfs\GAMEID.wbfs
usb:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID].wbfs
usb:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID]\GAMEID.wbfs
usb:\wbfs\GAMEID_Title\GAMEID.wbfs
Same for .iso:
usb:\wbfs\GAMEID.iso
usb:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID].iso
usb:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID]\GAMEID.iso
usb:\wbfs\GAMEID_Title\GAMEID.iso

Kwajongen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another questions:

If I want to transfer from my DVD Backup using the Wii Backup Manager, when I put the DVD in the PC I cannot explore it, not even through the Wii Backup Manager, is it because it is in WBFS?
I wanted to transfer using the DVD which in my case (it is a long story to write but trust me) would have been faster.

I Do have ISO though, it is for me longer to do from the .iso backup because they are stored on another PC, but that's what I am doing in this moment, from ISO file to WBFS.

Alex

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Kwajongen said:
Another questions:

If I want to transfer from my DVD Backup using the Wii Backup Manager, when I put the DVD in the PC I cannot explore it, not even through the Wii Backup Manager, is it because it is in WBFS?
I wanted to transfer using the DVD which in my case (it is a long story to write but trust me) would have been faster.

I Do have ISO though, it is for me longer to do from the .iso backup because they are stored on another PC, but that's what I am doing in this moment, from ISO file to WBFS.

Alex
Copy DVDs with the wii
In CFG loader press + on te main screen insert the dvd and it will copy it to the HDD

Kwajongen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't dare to do it because I want to stay on NTFS and I read that it is better to transfer via PC, it would work smoothly with FAT32 though, but I wanted to use NTFS.

Alex

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Kwajongen said:
I didn't dare to do it because I want to stay on NTFS and I read that it is better to transfer via PC, it would work smoothly with FAT32 though, but I wanted to use NTFS.

Alex
Writes on NTFS are stable on CFG loader

Kwajongen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all,

do you know why the "special events" in Mario Kart are no longer working since I switched from CD to HDD?
All the rest works perfectly.

Thank you
Alex

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Make a new thread if your question has nothing to do with the current thread... As for your issue, I haven't heard anyone having a problem with Mario Kart Wii on HDD. Perhaps the game checks to see if you're running from disc when loading the Tournament data?

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Porobu said:
Kwajongen said:

Alex
Writes on NTFS are stable on CFG loader
I've ripped quite a few of my games to NTFS from cfg usb loader and i haven't had any issues, now i haven't played any of those games thru start to finish so i can't say for sure, but they all load up and play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4