Gaming New computer system another few questions

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
'Lo some time ago you helped me with a new computer. Budget changed to quite some more, 600 Euro now.
Set-up I've now got in mind:
-AMD Phenom II X6 1055T =cpu
-Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 =ram
-Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD502HJ 500GB =HDD
-Sony Optiarc AD-7260S =Dvd drive
-ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 =Motherboard
-ASUS EAH5770 CUcore/G/2DI/1GD5 (=HD5770) =Gpu
-Linksys Instant Gigabit Network Adapter EG1032 =Network pci card
-Case and psu.
Well, as you can see. I have no idea what to pick as a case and a psu.
Before I had this super cheap deal with a case and 350W psu. Though that is too weak according to berthenk
tongue.gif

Any suggestions?
All parts without psu and case = 525,90 Euros

Also, if I HAD to go over my budget (which I cannot and therefore what I'm going to write next
tongue.gif
) is it a good idea to replace the mobo with this one?:Asrock 870 Extreme3
It's 50% cheaper than the current mobo, so that'll do.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
In general, you never want to go too cheaply on the motherboard. Low quality motherboards tend to last around a year, give or take a few months. Better motherboards tend to last 3-7 years. EDIT: Might also point out, I've had several Asrock motherboards die on me over the years, so I tend to avoid them now.

Personally I would swap the PhenomII for one of the new Sandy Bridge Core i3-2100 or Core i5-2300 coming out in a week (5th or 9th Jan, depending on the source). They both come with Intel GMA HD 2000 so they'll still be able to play most games on low/medium settings. You'll also be able to put off getting the graphics card for a lil longer and save up for a better one. Recommended mid-ranged graphics are GTX 460/470 or HD6850/70.

EDIT2: Also, look into getting a 500-700W PSU. And here's a useful lil link from a recent thread.

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm really sorry, but I can't wait even longer for newer parts xD
I'm stuck with my current pc for 8 years already.
Oh and btw, that guide tells me to pick the hd5770
tongue.gif

All I need is a suggestion for a psu and case or combined for under 80 euros..
Though.. it has to be 450W+

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, I'm not desperate
tongue.gif
(and my mom wouldn't allow that xD)
I found this, and its total is under 600
Huntkey LW-6550HGP 550 Watt PSU
MS-Tech CA-0130
Case is extremely cheap-ass
Psu is 44 euro.
And I know how I can save on my mobo, I've got the expensive version of two mobo's it'd save me 20 euro's if I'd pick the cheaper one which hasn't got usb 3.0

Edit: while looking at a comparison of the two I noticed this: Compatible processors: Sempron, Phenom II X3, Athlon II X2, Phenom II X2, Athlon II X4, Athlon II X3, Phenom II X4, Phenom II X6
Though it also says: Multi-core support dual, triple, quad...
Wtf? phenom II X6 = hexacore o_o
and also, the more expensive board hasn't got the phenom II x6 on supported list? I don't get that xD
I should go for the cheaper one, right?
It's the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO

Edit: typo

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record it seems as though the motherboard comes with one network port at least- if you need dual ports I would consider bumping up the motherboard to have two instead also what you might need all those PCIe 2.0 ports for I am not sure- lose them and you get a whole other selection to choose from.

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FAST6191 said:
For the record it seems as though the motherboard comes with one network port at least- if you need dual ports I would consider bumping up the motherboard to have two instead also what you might need all those PCIe 2.0 ports for I am not sure- lose them and you get a whole other selection to choose from.
Why'd I need 2 network ports? We got one router at home. And I connect my computer to that router, I don't need simultaneous dual overkill internet connections.
Or I understood you wrong.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In that case the motherboard you selected appears to have a network port built into it (most of them do these days) and you can lose the standalone network card (the extra €10 or so that would have cost can go to a hard drive or something).

As for why you might want two- I like them for flashing/hacking things with network ports and having them tunnel although I mainly use the second one on my motherboard for FTPing things to my 360 or original xbox and connecting them to friends over things like Xlink kai. Essentially I am using my computer as a crude router.

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really wouldn't go with the X6 if I were you, just wait 3 or 7 more days for the i3, that will get you along way better then a X6, unless you multitask like a maniac. For gaming, you might as well get the i3 or i5. Most games only use 2 cores anyway, so if you want to do that with your rig I suggest an i5.

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FAST6191 said:
In that case the motherboard you selected appears to have a network port built into it (most of them do these days) and you can lose the standalone network cart (the extra €10 or so that would have cost can go to a hard drive or something).

As for why you might want two- I like them for flashing/hacking things with network ports and having them tunnel although I mainly use the second one on my motherboard for FTPing things to my 360 or original xbox and connecting them to friends over things like Xlink kai. Essentially I am using my computer as a crude router.

Oh, cool
biggrin.gif

That saves me 20 euros
ohmy.gif

Thanks for saving me before I almost got an unnecessary 2nd network card. Should I use a little bit of that money to get a 1TB drive?
It's only a liiitle bit more expensive (10 euro). Samsung spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
Or should I get a better case?
Or what should I spend 40 euros on at all if anything at all?
It's pretty much complete now.
biggrin.gif

Edit: @scrtmstr, I love multitasking xD Sorry, I just do. And also, this pc will be hooked up on two screens. While on one I might be playing a game (not a simple flash game
tongue.gif
take team fortress 2 par example), and on the second I could easily have opened and photoshop, and chrome, and fruity loops, and youtube, and a flash game, and also music via iTunes for example. I know what I want (and kinda need) Oh and on chrome there are probably like 15 tabs open
tongue.gif
Though that is pretty much RAM's work.
Okay, that is a bit extreme, but seriously I've ALWAYS got lots of programs open. My pc can't handle it and err.. Well it goes really slow at that moment and I have to close everything one by one xD

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a 1TB hard drive , you're best of getting 2x500GB HDD . you may or may not be interested , but most of the motherboards have a RAID feature that automatically backs up your main hard drive to the secondary hard drive . so if your main crashes, you can reboot normally on the second hard drive .

the only problem with this is that if you ever get a virus , then that virus will also be copied as well . there's also different types of RAIDs, so i recommend doing a little research on that .

--

to be multitasking that much , lol , i doubt one would need to do all that at the same time . get a quadcore, save up for RAM , use the extra money on a better graphics card . if you're going to do all that , AND have 2 monitors, then you'll probably need RAM and a better Graphics Card .

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
tijntje_7 said:
Edit: @scrtmstr, I love multitasking xD Sorry, I just do. And also, this pc will be hooked up on two screens. While on one I might be playing a game (not a simple flash game
tongue.gif
take team fortress 2 par example), and on the second I could easily have opened and photoshop, and chrome, and fruity loops, and youtube, and a flash game, and also music via iTunes for example. I know what I want (and kinda need) Oh and on chrome there are probably like 15 tabs open
tongue.gif
Okay, that is a bit extreme, but seriously I've ALWAYS got lots of programs open. My pc can't handle it and err.. Well it goes really slow at that moment and I have to close everything one by one xD
Only a quad core would be necessary for all that. Two cores for the game, half a core for background stuff, and whatever is left over for whatever you're looking at on the secondary monitor. I generally have no problems doing most of that with a dual core on my dual monitor setup. EDIT: RAM tends to be a more limiting factor in running all those windows/applications... especially since you only have two eyes (and two monitors in this case).

Anyway, it sounds like you've made your choice and don't want to switch, so enjoy it.

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Splych said:
a 1TB hard drive , you're best of getting 2x500GB HDD . you may or may not be interested , but most of the motherboards have a RAID feature that automatically backs up your main hard drive to the secondary hard drive . so if your main crashes, you can reboot normally on the second hard drive .

the only problem with this is that if you ever get a virus , then that virus will also be copied as well . there's also different types of RAIDs, so i recommend doing a little research on that .

--

to be multitasking that much , lol , i doubt one would need to do all that at the same time . get a quadcore, save up for RAM , use the extra money on a better graphics card . if you're going to do all that , AND have 2 monitors, then you'll probably need RAM and a better Graphics Card .
Why'd I be better of with 2x500GB? :/
The 500GB HDD I've currently got for the set-up has exact the same specs...
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...mp;model_cd=507
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...a&ppmi=1087
It's only 10 euros more expensive...

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
tijntje_7 said:
FAST6191 said:
In that case the motherboard you selected appears to have a network port built into it (most of them do these days) and you can lose the standalone network cart (the extra €10 or so that would have cost can go to a hard drive or something).

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
I think the I5 will suit you better, to be honest. 6 cores is overkill, as originality said. But if you've got your sights set on the X6, then do it.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tijntje_7 said:
Why'd I be better of with 2x500GB? :/
why is it a better idea ? well think about it (lets just say you had no hard drive and are deciding on what hard drive to buy) ;
- if you had a 1TB hard drive , then that's great, more space for you . but what if it crashes ? what will you do ? did you back that hard drive up ? probably not , because you didn't have enough money to buy another one .
- if you had 2x500GB hard drives, you could back it up identically if one of them crashed . even if you are spending quite a bit more to have 2 hard drives, it'll be more reliable in terms of having a back up ready .

that's assuming you were buying a new hard drive . i checked out NewEgg.ca , and the 1TB Samsung F3 is $75 while the 500GB Samsung F3 is $57 (x2 = $114) . you'll be spending $39 more , but like i said , the back up would be more reliable .

if you have a hard drive already, and are just buying another extra one for a secondary , then it'd be alright to buy the 1TB hard drive then .

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
you could also buy a 5830 instead of a 5770 its only 20€ more expensive.
I also agree on the 1x 1tb instead of the 2x 500gb the Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ, 1TB is only about 10€ more expensive than its 500gb version

(I used tweakers pricewatch for the prices always looking at the cheapest webshop with a yellow or higher shipping time)

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
He makes a good point though - the advantage of 2x500GB in mirrored RAID is that you have a backup of your most important drive (C drive).

Then again, it costs more. It's just a choice that can be made - safety, or money.
still if you use one for backing up the other you only have 500gb and that's not a lot and it would only set you back a 20€ to do the same with 1gb

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you have a single drive, you can't mirror it. Even if you divide it into 2 partitions and have one set to mirror the first, that does nothing to protect your data from a hardware failure, which is the entire point of mirror raid.

Besides, 500GB is plenty. It's enough to hold Windows, my entire music collection, a few games, several movies and still have space left over for downloading. By the time you fill it up, you'll probably have saved enough to add 1TB or more to it.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it's not as if you HAVE to pick the 500GB , it's just an option . you could always go for an irregular combination , where you have different sized hard drives . the only thing is , you'll have to either :
-back it up manually
or
- use a program on the main OS .

i forgot what my dad uses , but he was talking about how he backs up his HDD with some sort of program . it creates a back-up of certain parts of a hard drive , and everything added to the chosen sections will also be added .

it works similarly to RAID i guess .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.