New Clone Wars (Wii and DS) footage

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Aug 8, 2008.

Aug 8, 2008
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States

Also there's the E3 footage of both games as well:

BTW, why doesn't the Youtube embedding option work properly?

This talks about both of the upcoming Nintendo Clone Wars games that will be released this holiday.

The DS game will be subtitled "Jedi Alliance" and will be an action-adventure controlled fully with the stylus. All movement and such will be done with taps and swipes. The game lets you play as two Jedi warriors. You can choose two out of the playable roster:

Anakin Skywalker
    Obi Wan Kenobi
    Mace Windu
    Ahsoka Tano (new character and Anakin's student)
    Plo Koon
    Kit Fisto

You can apparently partner any two characters from this roster together. You control the first and the AI or a friend can control the other (via local wireless). You sometimes need to use both characters to solve puzzles and such. There's an RPG element to the deal. Your "alliance" grows in power as you get better at using your jedi team together. The two jedi you choose will get stronger and better at fighting/working together. The game is also said to have secrets that only some jedi can unlock. I guess that will increase replay value.

The graphics are said to be amazing. It's a fully-3D explorable world. The character designs work very well with the DS technical limits. I'm shocked to know that the developers are using the SAME character models as they will use for the TV show:

[​IMG]

One very interesting thing I've noticed about the 3D is the detailed character shadows. Usually 3D DS game characters cast a simple round circle for a shadow. Jedi Alliance gives the characters realistic shadows:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lighting effects in this game is pretty awesome as well. The framerate seems perfectly smooth. Another thing revealed in interviews are contextual minigames. You enter sequences where the game takes over character movement and you are required to make maneuvers with the touch screen to proceed. It harks to the laserdisc Dragon's Lair games, but probably less difficult.

Whereas the DS game is an adventure game, the Wii game is as it says: "Lightsaber Duels". That being the case, it's more of a brawler using the Wiimote to control the lightsaber. It speaks for itself and this is what Star Wars fans seem want more than anything. Should be a good game, but my eyes are on the DS game since I don't have a Wii currently.

IGN hands-on with the Wii game-
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/892/892850p1.html

IGN hands-on with the DS game-
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/892/892882p1.html

These games are set for a holiday 2008 release.

2. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada

Works fine. The BB Code Help button exists for this very reason.

3. granville
    OP

United States
    I knew how to do it. It just wasn't working at first. Now it does. Weird... Anyways, thanks and I fixed it! [​IMG]

4. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    It's a good thing they're using a stylish visual for the animated series.. it can be ported perfectly on the Wii.. looks like a cool game.

But not a good idea to release this so close to The Force Unleashed IMO..

5. granville
    OP

United States
    I'm not sure if Force Unleashed will overshadow Clone Wars. Maybe the PS3 and 360, but not the Wii and DS. Clone Wars has a motion picture to advertise it. Force Unleashed is looking a bit weird on the DS. I'm unsure how good the DS version will turn out.

And BTW, early movie reviews for Clone Wars are pretty darn positive! [​IMG]

6. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I think Force Unleashed will sell very well on the Wii, maybe more than the 360/PS3 counterparts.. the Wii light saber thing has a big appeal IMO.. every SW fan out there is waiting for this since the Wii was announced.