Hacking New carts? New firmware?

selamat.tingal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a reply to a currrent thread on DS-Xtreme Forums that has been deleted. Other than being a little cynical to the mods' attitude, I do not see it as out of line. After having posted it twice, I was banned.

Here is the thread:

http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=6169

Here is the reply I had posted:

Excellent. Now what about a firmware update? Can you pay the firmware developer now that you've got a bit of cash coming in??
Rabid is a mod he can't answer that question. Anyway who says the ds-x team needed to sell more units so they can make a new firmware update?
From my perspective, 6 months since the last upgrade pretty much looks like the ds-x team needed to sell more units to make a new firmware update. Anyway who says the team did not need it?

Considering the cart is no longer being stocked by some retailers, it looks like the DS-X team is losing it. Still, I wish them good luck in re-establishing the cart's credibility...

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
That is not going to happen. The DS-X is dead. Buy a device from COMPETENT developers and forget the DS-X. Period.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's just the way the mods operate at the DS-X forums. He doesn't have to know anything so much as point out how wrong you are, then assume that validates them.

He's right--proceeds gained are irrelevant to the firmware development. It's like that stupid post Guru made, saying the new firmware was going to be 'sooner then you think!'. So some time passes, people are calling him on that, and he just sits there with the defense of 'well I never actually said a date!'. Somehow, they believe the culture of no information coupled with blaming people for having expectations excuses them from keeping promises, supporting the people who supported them and delivering the updates.

Honestly, it's just a f*ed up situation they've created.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty extreme. But I sympathize with everybody here, I know that every person whom bought a DS-X did so under certain pretenses that they generated. To top it off, you even payed _more_ than any competing flash card, then they took your money and ignored and even insulted you.

If the DS-X was being dropped by shops, maybe that will finally be the motivation to get Guru to take some action. I wouldn't count on it however.

serg0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unsure.gif
I remember when they came out, I was close to buying one.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's too bad. I remember when the DS-X came out (I believe it was the very first Slot1??) I had really high hopes. I was still using an old GBAMP and this new Slot1 revolution was really exciting. Then the team dropped support, insulted the supporters and pretty much gave a huge slap in the face to anyone who bought one. I'm glad I waited and bought an R4.

selamat.tingal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to submit a theory for DS-X's team current upgrade hiatus. With the crackdown on the modchip scene this Fall, they decided to distance themselves from ROM piracy and boast their "homebrew" side.

A theory holds true until proven wrong. What do you think? Do you have a better one?

Neuromancer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would like to submit a theory for DS-X's team current upgrade hiatus.  With the crackdown on the modchip scene this Fall, they decided to distance themselves from ROM piracy and boast their "homebrew" side.

A theory holds true until proven wrong. What do you think? Do you have a better one?

I tend to agree. Here in the US, any device that circumvents copy protection is considered an illegal modchip... and then Ninty comes with the ARM7 protection. And supposedly DS-X is the only US-based flashcart maker.

However, I really find it irrelevant. Just like everything else DS-X, they have to play little games instead of fullfilling their promises. This lack of followthrough is not a new situation... I still don't see the Mac support, the skinning tool, or the "awesome potential" of the FPGA - things that were all promised from the start and never happened.

DS-X Guru himself posted here on GBATemp claiming that "100% compatibility with clean list, and future updates to keep that compatibility as close to 100% as possible." That isn't what we got. What we got was a flat-out refusal to support their own cart (The only cart maker not to have an ARM7 patch avail within 3 hours of the ARM7 scheme's release).

The only remaining fanbots of the DS-X are those "anti-pirate" types, who vehemently believe that they singlehandedly saved the game industy - because they pay for games and use the DS-X for homebrew (I buy NDS and computer games on a pretty much constant basis, and I don't think I'm a massive hero because of it). And the sad thing is, even homebrew on the DS-X is falling - people are reporting file space and firmware corruption from common homebrews like DSOrganize.

It was DS-X's choices that led us to the sad state of today - no matter what rationalization is used, they still CHOOSE not to support their product. Of course, production of new DS-X units hasn't stopped - "Have to keep that cash coming in! Let the buyer beware!"

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
A theory holds true until proven wrong.
That's the most erroneous reasoning I've ever read here, not to mention being the complete opposite of truth.

The issue of piracy or not is irrelevant. Right now, that's just another in a string of excuses to _not_ do anything. If they won't work on fixing whatever commercial game compatibility, then they could be doing a hundred other tasks. Other competing products have features like reset; cheats; various upgrades to the GUI and it's performance; bug fixes; etc.

But yeah, Guru said the goal of the DS-X was to work exactly like the real thing in every aspect. He's failed to live up to that, but instead of owning up to this and doing anything to make it right, he's opted to alienate and insult everybody.

As for anti-piracy, homebrew devs don't care about DS-X. You know how rare it was for something to work on the DS-X before Chism invented DLDI? Even then, I'm still testing stuff that doesn't work with it. That Colors app for painting, I had to ask the dev to take a look because it wasn't working (which they did, so thumbs up!) Did DSOrganize ever end up working with the DS-X so that nds files could be executed from within the environment? And emulators are thoroughly screwed up, and mounting evidence suggests that it's the single fact that I own a DS-X.

I don't even care to address anybody else still touting the DS-X. If homebrew doesn't support it and casual gamers are screwed over by it, then they have no case. Folks like this--well what can we say about him? His intelligence is clearly diminutive; the fact that he can even fill a sixteen gigabit card suggests he's using it for something more than homebrew; and he bases his entire post on 'HURRR well I don't have problems with mine therefore they all must be perfect and if if yours isn't then you're stupid!" There isn't much you can do with a complete hypocrite ignorant sheep spazzing peon like that, but if Guru and co. want to make that their userbase and perceive his erratic and poorly typed praise as validation they're doing a good job, then by all means they're in great company.

selamat.tingal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
A theory holds true until proven wrong.
That's the most erroneous reasoning I've ever read here, not to mention being the complete opposite of truth.
Since you've proven my theory wrong, I'd say it no longer holds. I gather the DS-X team simply underestimated the challenges of competition from other cart manufacturers.

pbolmstedt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What's it gonna take for people to let it go and move on? This discussion has been going on for a year soon...Since you are reading these pages, I gather you share our feeling for having been let down.
Of course (even though I've been extremely lucky with how mine has worked (without problems (and I've never wanted to run a salmon-colored game))). But starting threads here about "my post was deleted from the forums" or "DS-X ripped me off" seems like at least half a year old news.

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But yeah, Guru said the goal of the DS-X was to work exactly like the real thing in every aspect. He's failed to live up to that, but instead of owning up to this and doing anything to make it right, he's opted to alienate and insult everybody.

And flat out ignore us. I had that thread going for over a month, asking nicely for an update, even if it was him saying, sorry, no updates, coming soon though. He didn't have the balls to do that, such a joke...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded