New bsnes-hd beta adds smooth true color and super sampling up to 10x

z47apa85nug31 (1).png

Released earlier this year was DerKoun's HD tweak to the emulator bsnes, which added widescreen to classic games, while also dramatically upscaling Mode 7 graphics. After a few months of work, a new release has been made available, bringing with it some exciting new features. In this build, DerKoun has added HD upscaling and super sampling up to 10x original resolution. Should you have the right hardware and a desire to play your Super Nintendo games in 4K, you now can. Also featured in this version is smooth gradients and true color processing, which allow for better graphics from a distance and more accurate color emulation, respectively.

Changelog:

• Smooth (true color, high resolution) gradients for color math from fixed color, e.g. for pseudo perspectives. This combines the new true color support and high resolution smoothing of HDMA effects to turn approximations of gradients into real ones. This is noticeable in many games with Mode 7 perspectives, often in the top/distant part, which often fades to black or another color. Enabled by default, on medium setting "4". (see image: left side before vs. right one with this improvement)

• True color processing for all color operations. Colors are upconverted from RGB 555 to 888 early, before any further processing.

• Fixed crashes on combined high scale and widescreen settings. All combinations available in the settings dialog now work. Also manually editing the config file now allows for wider widescreen, but it still crashes due to too high combinations.

• HD and super sampling scale up to 10x. So you can go for true 4K with the right combination of settings and really good hardware.

• preview: Smooth (high resolution) Window effects, like shadows or spells. This is considered a preview, as the top and bottom edges of such effects still look SD and therefore stand out. It is disabled ("0") by default. You can set "1" or higher values to give it a try. Please let me know what works good and what does not. Screenshots and savestates would be much appreciated.

DerKoun's next step for bsnes-hd is to merge the newest updates and changes from the official branch of bsnes, before moving onto new ideas and implementations. Currently, bsnes-hd beta 9 is available on both Windows and Linux, and is available to download below.

:download: Source

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What's next, making the backgrounds actually 3d, with the threes and houses popping up, made of polygons?
I agree that at some point it seems far from what the original intent was. However, I have to say that graphics upgrades like these have many times have made me able to appreciate details I didn't see before, especially in pixelated background art.

Still, we always have the choice not to use these modifications, and at the very least they are interesting answers to "What if..." questions.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can I see a comparison?
I second this

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
One that does not yet exist.
Dang man, you weren't kidding. I gave this a try with Super Mario Kart and I was only able to get up to 1120p on a GTX 1080ti before the frame rate takes a dip down into the single digits. Then again, I think it's probably more limited by CPU than anything else. Regardless, it looks amazing.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After having played almost everything I wanted to play from the SNES catalogue 10x times in the past several decades, I wonder what should I replay to test this... What neat game would be greatly improved by this...

Hmmm... I will be thinking about it... any suggestion?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"