War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
"While one Batman game lies rotting in the dirt, another, more promising title lives on. And it's been a while since we heard/saw anything on Batman: Arkham Asylum, so let's go take a look!

Or, more importantly, let's take a listen. Ah, Mark Hamill. You were born to play Luke Skywalker, but we live to hear you play The Joker."

Screenshots below:
bathead.jpg

medium_3237954388_a122715de3_o.jpg

medium_3237954126_a1925aebc2_o.jpg

medium_3237953900_b8ea021770_o.jpg

Source

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The game looks very promising. Its going to be really hard to master the feel that batman has. But one things gets me about this game. The damn costume on Batman. I hate the lining and the bolt looking things.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome, superb, incredible! I have so much faith in this one....., even more than for the ghostbusters game! (not really, Hadrian don't kill me).

BTW, what does Kotaku mean by "While one Batman game lies rotting in the dirt..."? Lego Batman was not bad at all.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VVoltz said:
Awesome, superb, incredible! I have so much faith in this one....., even more than for the ghostbusters game! (not really, Hadrian don't kill me).

BTW, what does Kotaku mean by "While one Batman game lies rotting in the dirt..."? Lego Batman was not bad at all.
They mean the canceled Pandemic's Batman game.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
dinofan01 said:
VVoltz said:

They mean the canceled Pandemic's Batman game.
Oh, movie licensed game anyway, not a big loss. Thanks for the reference.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Even if the game was a block of concrete with Bats' logo painted on with a crayon, it would be awesome because of Mark Hamill. Too bad I won't be able to play it
frown.gif
I don't have neither PS3 nor 360, and the PC requirements will be really high, me guesses
frown.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VVoltz said:
I'm into Batman (the comics) more than Ghostbusters but still want the Wii/360 versions of that the most. Hell slap a proton pack on Bats back and get Bill Murray to voice someone and it'll be even better.
tongue.gif

Looking forward to playing this, LEGO Batman got boring after a while. Getting a 360 soon just to play this Ghostbusters plus the ton of stuff Capcom has. Happy days.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
callmebob said:
Awesome video! Can only imagine that it´s a video for PS3 or 360.
sad.gif

Will be getting the 360 and Wii versions! can´t wait!
There is no Wii version.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks awesome so far, though I get a feeling the whole game will be beating up the prisoners, no matter how gorgeous it looks. The voice-acting for the Joker is pretty cool too, and the story looks well-executed so far.
Still, I think we're setting it up for a fall by looking at it as really good. Try not to judge a title before it comes out, or you'll be disappointed.

As for Pandemic, I was just thinking that all their titles in the past year have flopped almightily. Lord of the Rings:Conquest, Mercenaries 2 and this Dark Knight game were their big guns, and they've all failed. Could we be seeing them bite the dust soon or do they have enough money in the piggybank? Guess time will tell.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Good news everyone! The game is as good as it looks. It's not simply a beat'em-up. Several previews have gone up and the details are as follows:

Story: The story/script was written by famed Batman writer Paul Dini, co-creator of Batman: The Animated Series.

Voice actors: As we all know, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprise their roles from Batman: The Animated Series (and others) as Batman and Joker respectively. Well, Arleen Sorkin will also be reprising her role from Batman: TAS as Harley Quinn, and possible some others.

Gameplay: There's a great deal more to the gameplay than meets the eye. It's a stealth-action game ala Metal Gear Solid/Splinter Cell. There's also a Metroid Prime-style detective perspective where you go into an infared type mode and can see fingerprints, clues, scent trails, how many people are in an area and how many of them are hostile, etc. So as much as the game involves stealth action and regular action, it also involves thought.

The mechanics of the game are context sensitive so you can take on a group of thugs head on, or use stealth to pick them off from the shadows/etc. In the context of a location you could bust through a grate or slowly and carefully remove the grate so not to alert anyone to your presence. And so on. Batman's gadgets will be available and at his disposal as well.

There are also neat little nods throughout the game. Two examples of this would be the fact that as the night wears on (this being the longest night of Batman's life) his face will grow more and more stubble. And your suit can be damaged, so if someone, for example, shoots bullet holes through your cape those holes will stay there and you'll need to factor them in when attempting to glide.

So there you have it, this is no simple brawler. It's a multi-faceted stealth-action experience that pays homage to Metroid Prime, Metal Gear Solid, BioShock, and Splinter Cell in many of its gameplay mechanics, has a great many nods to the comic and DC animated universe continuities, and is a game the developers hope will stand on its own.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trolly said:
As for Pandemic, I was just thinking that all their titles in the past year have flopped almightily. Lord of the Rings:Conquest, Mercenaries 2 and this Dark Knight game were their big guns, and they've all failed. Could we be seeing them bite the dust soon or do they have enough money in the piggybank? Guess time will tell.
It sounds like their Batman game was far more ambitious for the development time they were given. It was meant to have Gotham as a proper living city, somewhat more so than any GTA game. Its been said that EA had the license but it was going run out not giving Pandemic enough time to finish it. Its cost EA millions, I'm surprised they didn't quickly make something up, let it sell off the Dark Knight name just to make the money back.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, that preview sounds amazing Ace Gunman. If all of that is well-executed, and the story is good, then this has potential to be a classic.

And that's a shame Hadrian, a living, breathing Gotham on an even grander scale than GTA could've been amazing. But fair enough, it does sound a bit too ambitious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good