New at soldering need tips

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I bought a trinity, but once I get a successful install I will probably pick up a Star Wars 360 slim. Leave wires on the pico, but I have to desolder the wires on the 360 right? I don't have solder sucker. What process is involved in desoldering wires?
Simply apply Solder heat to where you soldered wire to unsolder each wire point. Nice and slow so you dont get solder splash on mobo.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need when a 40 something year old radio can teach you more then such a kit.
At almost no cost ; )

Real men do with with a small philips head 8^)
I saw some tutorials where people try to tin the point and attach the wire at the same time. What I want to do is to:

1. Clean the points using isopropyl

2. Apply Flux to the points

3. Have the solder on my left hand and the soldering iron on my right hand(am right handed)

4. Touch the point with my solder at 300 degrees Fahrenheit( or is 250 better?) for 1 second and then immediately touch the solder to the point

5. Grab wire with my left hand and soldering iron on my right, touch the tinned point for 1 second with the iron and immediately touch the wire to it(almost simultaneously)

Does this sound right? Should I heat up the point before applying solder? Or should I try to apply the solder at the exact same time as I am warming up the point with the soldering iron.

Reactions: elk1007

icantfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
look m8, u tin the wire, u tin the point, u apply heat to both at the same time, solder melts and they connect

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I saw some tutorials where people try to tin the point and attach the wire at the same time. What I want to do is to:

1. Clean the points using isopropyl

2. Apply Flux to the points

3. Have the solder on my left hand and the soldering iron on my right hand(am right handed)

4. Touch the point with my solder at 300 degrees Fahrenheit( or is 250 better?) for 1 second and then immediately touch the solder to the point

5. Grab wire with my left hand and soldering iron on my right, touch the tinned point for 1 second with the iron and immediately touch the wire to it(almost simultaneously)

Does this sound right? Should I heat up the point before applying solder? Or should I try to apply the solder at the exact same time as I am warming up the point with the soldering iron.

I'd tin the pad, tin the wire, push the wire on the pad, hold a soldering iron on it and wait a few seconds to let the solder flow to make the bond.
Obviously flux everything whilst doing it and clean after with a toothbrush and some IPA.

Soldering temperatures depend on your solder alloy.
If you use leaded solder, you'll need a lower heat to melt it, having it to high will just destroy the iron and or pads/components you're trying to solder.
I'd just stick with the most commonly used temperature appropriate for your solder alloy.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd tin the pad, tin the wire, push the wire on the pad, hold a soldering iron on it and wait a few seconds to let the solder flow to make the bond.
Obviously flux everything whilst doing it and clean after with a toothbrush and some IPA.

Soldering temperatures depend on your solder alloy.
If you use leaded solder, you'll need a lower heat to melt it, having it to high will just destroy the iron and or pads/components you're trying to solder.
I'd just stick with the most commonly used temperature appropriate for your solder alloy.
Using this solder right here:

Thoughts on my choice? What temperature would you recommend for this solder?

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you dont use rosin flux, the solder will stick to the iron and apply unevenly.
Putting just a dab of flux on any solder point will make sure solder flows.
I recommend this for tinning as well; dip the wire into some flux and then tin it.
I used to dry solder everything like a complete retard.

trs180

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Start with something simple like a radio kit and do progressively more complicated soldering work. If you have an NES and a RGB kit, start with that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.