Hardware New adaptor for GC pads=/= playing GC discs on Wii or Wii U. Ever.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I initially got excited thinking that GC pad adaptor would potentially make Wii/Wii mode on Wii U compatible with GC discs. But then it struck me... no memory card ports!

I can't see Nintendo modifying the Wii or Wii U to enable you to store game data on the system memory nor releasing a gizmo that will allow someone to plug their GC memory cards in.

So it looks like playing GC discs on a Wii or Wii U is still and always be a distant dream. :'(

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I initially got excited thinking that GC pad adaptor would potentially make Wii/Wii mode on Wii U compatible with GC discs. But then it struck me... no memory card ports!

I can't see Nintendo modifying the Wii or Wii U to enable you to store game data on the system memory nor releasing a gizmo that will allow someone to plug their GC memory cards in.

So it looks like playing GC discs on a Wii or Wii U is still and always be a distant dream. :'(

WTH? you can play gamecube discs (games) on a wii..... unless you got a mini wii, or family edition wii...

also, the wii u doesnt play gc games, why would nintendo release a way to put your card on an adapter for using with wii u games? there is no point...

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He was probably thinking that the addition of Gamecube controller ports via peripheral would allow Nintendo to deliver GameCube software compatibility to the Wii U via software update. But if Nintendo really cared, they would have done so with the classic/pro controllers already.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
He was probably thinking that the addition of Gamecube controller ports via peripheral would allow Nintendo to deliver GameCube software compatibility to the Wii U via software update. But if Nintendo really cared, they would have done so with the classic/pro controllers already.

exactly my thought, if nintendo wanted delivery gc games into wii u the games would have classic\pro controller support....

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WTH? you can play gamecube discs (games) on a wii..... unless you got a mini wii, or family edition wii...

also, the wii u doesnt play gc games, why would nintendo release a way to put your card on an adapter for using with wii u games? there is no point...
The majority of Wiis lack the GC pad and memory card ports.

I was also thinking of Wii U in Wii mode.

I made a point of saying 'discs', because I'm talking about physical media. Yes, it would seem pointless from Nintendo's viewpoint but as all Wiis have the capability of playing GC games but lack the ports - I thought that if the adaptor allows Wii games to be played using GC pads (such as Mario Kart Wii), then maybe you could also play GC games, given as the functionality is built into the Wii firmware. But alas, no memory card ports and as you say, why would Nintendo want to help loyal fans that have a library of GC games?

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The majority of Wiis lack the GC pad and memory card ports.

I was also thinking of Wii U in Wii mode.

I made a point of saying 'discs', because I'm talking about physical media. Yes, it would seem pointless from Nintendo's viewpoint but as all Wiis have the capability of playing GC games but lack the ports - I thought that if the adaptor allows Wii games to be played using GC pads (such as Mario Kart Wii), then maybe you could also play GC games, given as the functionality is built into the Wii firmware. But alas, no memory card ports and as you say, why would Nintendo want to help loyal fans that have a library of GC games?

you are wrong... the majority of the wiis does have the GC compatibilty, up to this day, i never seen one without it... all my friends wii does have compatibilty...
in my family there are 2 wiis, both with gc compatibilty

maybe you are searching on the wrong stores?

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, the more modern Wii revisions where the writing is optimized for horizontal operation, the Wii mini and the Wii U all have Gamecube compatibility stripped. I do not even know whether their drive accepts the small discs anymore.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are wrong... the majority of the wiis does have the GC compatibilty, up to this day, i never seen one without it... all my friends wii does have compatibilty...
in my family there are 2 wiis, both with gc compatibilty

maybe you are searching on the wrong stores?

Look at the new black Wiis. They stripped the GameCube hardware compatibility from it to save money. However you can still use the GameCube regardless of the stripping.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If I'm not mistaken the Wii U optical disc drive lacks the arm that catches smaller GameCube discs and so it's physically incompatible with GameCube discs. Even with the controller adapter (and perhaps software emulated memory cards), it would be impossible for the Wii U optical disc drive to work with a GameCube disc.

It seems a Virtual Console GameCube library is more likely. It'd actually be stupid (yet cool) if Nintendo added GameCube backwards compatibility to the Wii U. GameCube is two generations back and GameCube games have not been on store shelves for a long time. So having the option would only cater to people buying used games, something that doesn't profit Nintendo in any way. Add to the fact that Nintendo has released an HD remake of Wind Waker and you can assume there's more coming from where that came from. Nintendo doesn't seem to have trouble making 3D remakes of N64 games for the 3DS (e.g. Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64), so it's plausible they're dedicating the Wii U for HD remakes of GameCube games.

But that's just what I think. In a perfect world we wouldn't have a Pro Controller, but a redesigned WaveBird without the dongle and the Wii U would have backwards compatibility with Wii and GameCube games as well as a special add-on for cartridge based games like N64, SNES, even the NES... Mhmm...

darkseekerliu

Advanced Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Most wiis , even those wich lack of the gamecube ports and All Wii U's can play Gamecube games through Devolution. Devolution as tueidj (devolution creator) stated has improved the gamecube on wii/Wii u experience. No need of wired controllers or memory cards required. You can use Wii mote + classic controller, Wii U pro controller, you can use a PS3 controller, or even an Ouya controller!!!

You also have nintendont that still being improved but does not have wireless bluetoogh controllers supoort.

So, if Nintendo really wants to support gamecube games, they can do it with current hardware. No need for additional adpaters.... Homebrew has already proved that!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As it was said above, the attachment will not allow the incompatible Wii's or the Wii U to play Gamecube discs simply because the disc drive is not compatible with mini-discs and finding a disc adapter that works with a slot-loading drive might be quite difficult. Again, this is only for Smash, other compatible games and perhaps in the future Gamecube Virtual Console.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In that case I wish they'd get the GC games that I want released on VC!

I'm having trouble finding a brand-new (collector, OCD) black Wii with GC ports for my GC games.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the more modern Wii revisions where the writing is optimized for horizontal operation, the Wii mini and the Wii U all have Gamecube compatibility stripped. I do not even know whether their drive accepts the small discs anymore.

Those are not the majority. I don't know anyone who actually bought one of those versions. The Wii U drive is physically incapable of reading a GC disk. No worries though, Nintendon't is almost ready.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case I wish they'd get the GC games that I want released on VC!

I'm having trouble finding a brand-new (collector, OCD) black Wii with GC ports for my GC games.

Why does it have to be black? Why does it have to be brand new? Just buy a used Wii. Problem solved. I still have my launch wii. What did you play Wii games on before? Where is your Wii from the 2006-2010 era?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are not the majority. I don't know anyone who actually bought one of those versions. The Wii U drive is physically incapable of reading a GC disk. No worries though, Nintendon't is almost ready.

Are you aware of Nintendont? You can find a lot of info about it on these forums. its a way that right now at this moment, allows you to play gamecube games on your Wii U or on a regular Wii that lacks the GC ports. Granted, you aren't playing physical discs, but rather digital backups you've saved onto your hard drive, but it work fantastically, and could definitely fulfill your desires to play your gc games on your more modern consoles.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They don't i've tried putting a gamecube disc in my Wii U & it gave me an error so no gc bc

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've got 3 options 1 use Nintendont,2 wait for official gamecube support via Wii U virtual console, or 3 send your Wii to someone here that knows how to restore bc to your Wii family edition if you happened to have one of the early Wii family editions that still have the cut out of where the Gc ports used to be in the plastic underneath the the cover up plastic on Wii family edition if you have that version.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why does it have to be black? Why does it have to be brand new? Just buy a used Wii. Problem solved. I still have my launch wii. What did you play Wii games on before? Where is your Wii from the 2006-2010 era?
Dude, I said I have OCD and I'm a collector. This will be to keep forever and white ones always get tarnished just from existing over time - and they're harder to find anyway.

If I could feasibly find a brand new white Wii I would consider getting it.

Are you aware of Nintendont? You can find a lot of info about it on these forums. its a way that right now at this moment, allows you to play gamecube games on your Wii U or on a regular Wii that lacks the GC ports. Granted, you aren't playing physical discs, but rather digital backups you've saved onto your hard drive, but it work fantastically, and could definitely fulfill your desires to play your gc games on your more modern consoles.
I've heard of it but I treasure my GC game discs and want to be able to actually use them. I don't want to muck around with a HDD. Thank you for the suggestion though.

if you happened to have one of the early Wii family editions that still have the cut out of where the Gc ports used to be in the plastic underneath the the cover up plastic on Wii family edition if you have that version.
I'm interested in this - I got a brand new black Wii with no GC ports, however if it's possible to remove the fascia to reveal ports that still exist, I'd be interested in learning more - have you got any links to further info?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dude, I said I have OCD and I'm a collector. This will be to keep forever and white ones always get tarnished just from existing over time - and they're harder to find anyway.

If I could feasibly find a brand new white Wii I would consider getting it.

I've heard of it but I treasure my GC game discs and want to be able to actually use them. I don't want to muck around with a HDD. Thank you for the suggestion though.

I'm interested in this - I got a brand new black Wii with no GC ports, however if it's possible to remove the fascia to reveal ports that still exist, I'd be interested in learning more - have you got any links to further info?
The ports don't exist, but the holes in the plastic do (with older Family Wiis at least). You need to get someone to solder on new ports.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm