Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

New AceKard Photos

Packaging & More

We've got some new photos of the Chinese version of the AceKard that is now for sale in Chinese stores and Chinese import stores this week. The AceKard will be available with English packaging and instructions in the not too distant future.
We will be receiving review sample AceKard's hopefully by Wednesday, so keep your eyes open for some short first impressions before the main review hits.

Â
Enter the topic for a few more photos!

CacheSyntax

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It does support clean roms, but you have to convert it to a different file format besides FAT, called AKFS, and the program is Windows-only based.

So, essentially yes, you have to patch the roms. It's not direct drag and drop like the DS-X.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Features were announced a while back here.

I wonder what the interface looks like...

It does support clean roms, but you have to convert it to a different file format besides FAT, called AKFS, and the program is Windows-only based.

So, essentially yes, you have to patch the roms. It's not direct drag and drop like the DS-X.
So you have to convert them manually - it's not all done on the fly by drag and drop? If there's no conversion settings to configure then I don't see why they didn't add something like that to the software.

sylver78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

Well you don't have to patch the rom (there are no "patch" options in any way), The application is just to have access to the AKFS file system that is not natively supported by windows !

Imagine that the file system would have been ext2 (or MacOS file system), you would have needed to install something to have access to the filesystem from windows. So writing something to the card this way doesn't patch anything as the acekard will read the same bytes that those in your original file ! It's just the way the files are indexed that is different !

If Acekard team release source code for their driver, it would be easy to port it as a linux module, and we could also imagine a driver as transparent as the ext2 one for windows : http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html (such a transparent driver would allow the drag'n drop thing the way the DS-X allows)

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I love the way everyone gets annoyed that a conversion software for the file system is needed and get put off by it....... without thinking there's probably a much more significant benefit to it.. like it being faster than anything else on the market.. so ok these are the manufacture's claims, but soon we will know for sure.

I for one don't give a flying pencil sharperner if i have to run software, as long as the said speed is there in the product.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Check out this thread and this thread.

Oh yeah... Forgot about that
biggrin.gif

Imagine that the file system would have been ext2 (or MacOS file system), you would have needed to install something to have access to the filesystem from windows. So writing something to the card this way doesn't patch anything as the acekard will read the same bytes that those in your original file ! It's just the way the files are indexed that is different !

If Acekard team release source code for their driver, it would be easy to port it as a linux module, and we could also imagine a driver as transparent as the ext2 one for windows : http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html (such a transparent driver would allow the drag'n drop thing the way the DS-X allows)
Indeed. I'm surprised they didn't do this already, though when there's no patching options to configure. Maybe they'll do it in the future
wink.gif

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
I love the way everyone gets annoyed that a conversion software for the file system is needed and get put off by it....... without thinking there's probably a much more significant benefit to it.. like it being faster than anything else on the market.. so ok these are the manufacture's claims, but soon we will know for sure.

I for one don't give a flying pencil sharperner if i have to run software, as long as the said speed is there in the product.

Yeah...it's amazing how things get falsely labelled too. The Acekard runs CLEAN roms...it does not patch!!!

The software is simply there to transfer the roms onto the AKFS. It's not true drag and drop under windows, because the AKFS has been developed to mimic a nintendo original cart.

I think Acekard has the potential to rule...I just hope they haven't botched up it's implementation.
grog.gif

Can't wait for the reviews and some reliable stockists!!!
yaynds.gif

Static Vision

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The release of more slot1 flashcarts makes me happy and sad all at once. It makes me happy to see the continued development of this technology. It makes me sad that I just purchased an M3 Lite in lieu of waiting a bit longer before an excellent slot1 flashcart is released; perhaps by M3?

Oh well, M3 Lite is excellent none the less.

Kamgusta

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
The release of more slot1 flashcarts makes me happy and sad all at once. It makes me happy to see the continued development of this technology. It makes me sad that I just purchased an M3 Lite in lieu of waiting a bit longer before an excellent slot1 flashcart is released; perhaps by M3?

Oh well, M3 Lite is excellent none the less.
Slot 1 = no GBA R0Ms

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs