new 500gb usb hdd, what should i do

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by goatie, Jun 15, 2010.

1. goatie
    OP

goatie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2009
    hi all
    just got a new 500gb usb hdd, been using an 80gb usb hdd with 2 partitions on it 1 small the other had all games using wbfs manager

how should start up this new drive ?, i want to run games from it, will not use it for movies,

2. dajavax

dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2008
    Mexico
    Monterrey
    if it's just for games i think WBFS would be the best format... if you want something else... try NTFS... or FAT32...

3. goatie
    OP

goatie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2009
    should i have 2 partitions on it
    wbfs and a ntfs, just in case i need to do something (what that something maybe i dont know)

4. dajavax

dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2008
    Mexico
    Monterrey
    i won't advice it... you can if you want of course... but you'll have to deal with the partitions and assigning the correct space for each... for my case i have my drive in ntfs all of it... that way i can keep my games as their original iso's and use them in usb loader while having the space for other things too... i think it's the best option really...

EDIT: but it's a matter of personal preference... each user will have their own choice... just remember you can load games from a ntfs drive, it doesn't need to be wbfs

5. goatie
    OP

goatie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2009
    thanks
    i'll keep it as a full drive then.

6. C.S.I.

C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2010
    Down under
    I would suggest you format it FAT32, then u can use it in both a PC and Wii.

Most USB loaders will NOT rip to NTFS - bit of a drawback.

No real drawbacks to FAT32, except your PC cant store larger then 4GB files.

The USB laoders however, will just 'split' any large games into 2 parts.

Use EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition to format large drives FAT32. (XP etc wont do it)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice