new 500gb usb hdd, what should i do

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by goatie, Jun 15, 2010.

Jun 15, 2010
  1. goatie
    OP

Newcomer goatie Member

United Kingdom
    hi all
    just got a new 500gb usb hdd, been using an 80gb usb hdd with 2 partitions on it 1 small the other had all games using wbfs manager

how should start up this new drive ?, i want to run games from it, will not use it for movies,

2. dajavax

Member dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    if it's just for games i think WBFS would be the best format... if you want something else... try NTFS... or FAT32...

3. goatie
    OP

Newcomer goatie Member

United Kingdom
    should i have 2 partitions on it
    wbfs and a ntfs, just in case i need to do something (what that something maybe i dont know)

4. dajavax

Member dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    i won't advice it... you can if you want of course... but you'll have to deal with the partitions and assigning the correct space for each... for my case i have my drive in ntfs all of it... that way i can keep my games as their original iso's and use them in usb loader while having the space for other things too... i think it's the best option really...

EDIT: but it's a matter of personal preference... each user will have their own choice... just remember you can load games from a ntfs drive, it doesn't need to be wbfs

5. goatie
    OP

Newcomer goatie Member

United Kingdom
    thanks
    i'll keep it as a full drive then.

6. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I would suggest you format it FAT32, then u can use it in both a PC and Wii.

Most USB loaders will NOT rip to NTFS - bit of a drawback.

No real drawbacks to FAT32, except your PC cant store larger then 4GB files.

The USB laoders however, will just 'split' any large games into 2 parts.

Use EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition to format large drives FAT32. (XP etc wont do it)