Hacking New 3ds xl with sound but no video

Mexicalipc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have a n3dsxl with sound but no video, I purchased it this way so I don't know how it got to this point. This is what I have done.

1. Updated to 11.4 using Nintendo's recovery menu (L, R, up, A) and it updated successfully. Screens worked on the recovery menu but when I tried to start with normal booting it just gives me sound.

2. Install b9s via hardmod. I successfully installed b9s and can run recovery mode, even luma configuration screen loads but after that I keep getting sound with black screen.

3. Run ctrnand 9.2 via recovery using decrypt9 and everything seem to installed correctly but again I keep getting sound with no video

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mexicalipc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly that sounds like a hardware issue.

Even if it loads Nintendo's default recovery mode? Both screens look perfect, touchscreen works and it evens connect to the Wi-Fi. :/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Attachments

• 20170618_013827.png
    20170618_013827.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 451

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even if it loads Nintendo's default recovery mode? Both screens look perfect, touchscreen works and it evens connect to the Wi-Fi. :/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
If ctrtransfer doesn't help then there's not much else you can do... It can't be a software issue because ctrtransfer completely replaces the 3DS software.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe the brightness level corrupted and it's set to 0, (however, it should have been set back to normal with the ctrtransfer). Anyway, since it has sound, try changing the brightness level from the home menu using the sound as a guide.

EDIT: You can also check if that's the issue by pointing an strong light towards the screen, and you will see a shadow of the image.

Last edited by PabloMK7,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Mexicalipc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried what I said?

Yes bro, no video at all, screens are completely off. Even when it runs Luma for the first time it asks you for the screen brightness and I have tried every setting with no luck. I think is more of a nand issue. Maybe if there is a way of using another n3dsxl nand in the future that might fix the issue

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Luma brightness is a completely different thing as it doesn't change how the system brightness works afterwards. If you already tried to go to the home menu brightness selector without success, then it can be several other things:
1. It may be possible that you have a flashcard inserted which may prevent the home menu to launch. (Unlikely as you said you bought it that way)
2. Something in your home menu is corrupted, try renaming the "Nintendo 3DS" folder in your SD card to "Nintendo 3DS old" and see what happens.

In any of the cases, it's most likely not a problem with the NAND, as the recovery mode data is stored in the nand as well.
Actually, you haven't told us if you can hear the cursor when moving it or not in the home menu, or just the background music (first case it's a problem with the screen, second case it's a problem with the home menu crashing).

Last edited by PabloMK7,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1