New 3DS XL USA version: can i use it in Europe with EU firmware?

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
i already have a New Nintendo 3DS XL, Pal version. But i would like to buy a used one, from USA, because it is a limite edition. If i buy it, is it necessary to reset all the configuration settings and then if i log in with my account, i can update the console with european firmware? Or is the firmware the same in every Region?
Later i would like to hack it as i have just done with my current New Nintendo 3DS, and i suppose the procedure will be the same. But i want to be sure that i can update the console with the latest european firmware..
Do you know if i have toask any particular info to the seller? the console seems in great condition and he put in the description that it is in excellent conditions..

thank you

pistonfish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could change your region but it is not advised to do so. Often times you can't connect a region changed console with Nintendos online services. You could always make backups of your titles on your PAL 3DS and install them on your US 3DS

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Consoles from each region (us, eu, jp, cn, hk and tw) have their own firmware. Meaning if you buy a US console, you'll have to use a US firmware.
Only US (or region free like Pokemon) cardridges will work on the system.
I don't know about logging in on different region account but I believe you won't be able to play the games you bought in an eu eshop since the console will always connect to the us eshop.

If you plan to install CFW anyway it does not matter. You could export your bought games as CIA and install and play them on a us console. Changing the region of the 3DS is possible, but the benefits are pretty non-existant. e.g. it won't connect to nintendo network services (=> https://gbatemp.net/threads/cannot-access-eshop-after-region-change-from-eu-to-us.515824/) .

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't region change it, period. As you cannot use use your NNID with it if it's changed anyway. You don't need to worry about 3DS firmwares at all, each region has its own, and it shouldn't interfere with the ability of playing out-of-region games. But if you needed game updates, if you install CFW it should be easy to DL/install them manually (same for Digital titles/VC games/DLCs). Now if your 3DS is on CFW, and you want to backup your library of digital titles you can do so, to install the on the US system, since you can't re'DL them from there.

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok thanks, i will keep the usa firmware, no problem. And i will hack it as i have done with my EU New 3DS XL. But for the hacking procedure i need to access to the eshop in order to dowload the Pokémon Picross and with my account i suppose i will not able to do that..is that right?

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok thanks, i will keep the usa firmware, no problem. And i will hack it as i have done with my EU New 3DS XL. But for the hacking procedure i need to access to the eshop in order to dowload the Pokémon Picross and with my account i suppose i will not able to do that..is that right?
Depending on firmware version you can use older primary exploits like soundhax or browserhax. They don't require a game to run.
Or if you have an older and supported DS flashcard you can use magnethax to install CFW on any 3DS model and firmware.

Reactions: godreborn

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Depending on firmware version you can use older primary exploits like soundhax or browserhax. They don't require a game to run.
Or if you have an older and supported DS flashcard you can use magnethax to install CFW on any 3DS model and firmware.
probably the console is updated to the latest firmware, so i would use the Seedminer method, as i have already don on my current console...like described here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started

If so, it is not possible to create a USa account in the console in order to access to the eshop? I only have to download that free game... unfortunately it is really hard to find this 3DS special edition in europe :(

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, the eshop is coded based on the region of the system rather than the account. I think the switch may be the opposite though, but you can't redeem coins if the account is a different region for the game (at least with retail).

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mmm...so if i create a new account in the USa eshop, i could download the game for free, just to hack the console, and i will not use that account anymore..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: